Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The top 10 quality of life cities

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,906 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Frankfurt? Seriously? I used to live there for one year, and couldn't get away fast enough.

#17    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,526 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 07 February 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Frankfurt? Seriously? I used to live there for one year, and couldn't get away fast enough.

I got there from Chicago in '81, loved it.

It all depends on your perspective I guess.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#18    F3SS

F3SS

Her name is Jodi :)

• 7,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 07 February 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

I see your point but think about Los Angeles, California. You've got South Central, LA which is a cesspool and a few miles away you have Beverly Hills which is an immensely expensive place where I'm sure the quality of life is amazing.

#19    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,526 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 07 February 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Not sure that's enough info to form a solid opinion but thanks for the info.

Almost missed this one, Ok, here the part you don't like: Tax rate is from 42.9 to 63% progressively (all that feel good has to be funded somehow).

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#20    F3SS

F3SS

• 7,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 February 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Almost missed this one, Ok, here the part you don't like: Tax rate is from 42.9 to 63% progressively (all that feel good has to be funded somehow).
Well yea. I figured on that. Are you suggesting you like to take care of lazy booze hounds? You already know I don't.

#21    F3SS

F3SS

• 7,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 February 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

I'm positive there are many ways one could come up with a list like this with different cities placing better or worse but according to what you and I are talking about it would seem that the harder people works to pay for those who don't the better the overall quality of life becomes. I don't know. Something doesn't add up here.

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,526 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 07 February 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Well yea. I figured on that. Are you suggesting you like to take care of lazy booze hounds? You already know I don't.

Let me put it this way: I don't mind paying taxes if there is a return (and the return does not have to benefit me directly either), even if they are outrageous provided the return is big enough. What seriously ticks me off is that you pay taxes and the best you get is a passport every ten years, provided you have $65 to pay for it.

about me

#23    F3SS

F3SS

• 7,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 February 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Let me put it this way: I don't mind paying taxes if there is a return (and the return does not have to benefit me directly either), even if they are outrageous provided the return is big enough. What seriously ticks me off is that you pay taxes and the best you get is a passport every ten years, provided you have $65 to pay for it.
I agree with that, as anyone should. I consider a formidable military a big return. I consider a safe bridge a big return. I do not however consider the creation of a welfare state a big return though that shouldn't be confused with me as not wanting to help someone to get back on their feet. I do not consider giving F-16's and billions of dollars to the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt a big return or teaching South Africans how to wash their nuts to the tune of $800K a big return.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 07 February 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#24    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,590 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 February 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

Well, that list at least shows half a dozen US cities in the top 30, now we don't even get in there anymore...

Had to go back and really compare the lists.. Using them for comparison..
We have had 8 cities in the 2006/2007 and 2012 listings. 7 of the 8 cities have remained the same.. The numbers and their scores in 2006, 2007, and 2012...

Honolulu- 27, 27, 28
San Francisco- 28, 29, 29
Boston, 36, 36, 35
Washington DC- 41, 44, 43
Chicago- 41, 44, 42
New York- 46, 48, 44
Seattle- 47, 49, 44

Portland was on 2006/2007, 43,46, not on 2012
Pittsburgh was not on 2006/2007, but is on 2012, 49

I also found it interesting that the top 10 list has stayed the same between 2006/2007 and 2012, though some cities have changed rankings.

Edited by rashore, 07 February 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#25    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Government Agent

• 3,544 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

I can't see any city where snow accumulates for any lengthy period of time as being on a list of top quality of life cities.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#26    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostRavenHawk, on 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

I can't see any city where snow accumulates for any lengthy period of time as being on a list of top quality of life cities.

Snow keeps the riff raff and homless away!

Edited by Gromdor, 08 February 2013 - 01:43 AM.

#27    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 07 February 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

My home town at number 3? It seems all you need to make the list is a local government that increases the rates by 6% annually, the water rates by 150%, increases the public debt by half in a couple of years and allows the cities violent crime rate to increase so much that its not safe to walk the streets at night. Seriously, the Nitro Circus (you know, the fearless stuntmen and women) will not tour Auckland anymore after two separate attacks on their group in one night.

Are you living somewhere else at the moment? Although I imagine Auckland to be a lot better than most places in the world, despite the fact that it's full of Aucklanders and apparent violent crime.

Certainly be better than living in places like Paris or London, that's for sure.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#28    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

From the article:

"The rest of the top 10 for Europe are dominated by German and Swiss cities,

Got to love the Germans, there's not a lot they can't do well.  A fine country.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#29    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,810 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sydney ranked higher than Melbourne?

...I don't trust the integrity of Mercer

#30    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,526 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostWalter White, on 08 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

From the article:

Got to love the Germans, there's not a lot they can't do well.  A fine country.
'

That comes wit a big price tag most prefer not to pay, starting with rigorous self discipline.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users