Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A Personal Quest to Make Gunsí Toll Visible

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

NY Times said:

WARWICK, R.I. — It happened a few minutes before the beginning of Jim Langevin’s junior cadet shift back in 1980.

He arrived at the police station here early, as usual. Two officers were standing in the locker room admiring a new .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol.

Thinking the chamber was empty, one of them pulled the trigger. A bullet ricocheted off a locker and went right through the boy’s neck, severing his spinal cord.

At 16, he would never walk again and never fulfill his dream of becoming a police officer.
Now, three decades later and seven terms into his career as one of Rhode Island’s two members of the House of Representatives, Mr. Langevin, 48, is the only quadriplegic ever to serve in Congress. And his story, unknown to many of those who work with him every day in the Capitol, has thrust him into the raging national debate over gun control.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Anyone who carries or touches a gun ,is libel for any accidential ,or purposeful lose of life .Wether they carry a badge and a warrant ,or not .

Miss me?

#3    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,596 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I guess along with being underpaid and overworked we should force police officers to buy gun insurance too.

#4    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,393 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

We should ban underpaying and overworking.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#5    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,489 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

so dumb azz neglegent cop shot him by accedent, and he is on personal crusade against guns????

RESIDENT TROLL.

#6    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,083 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

See he is an example of what happens when you negligently discharge a firearm.

Most people shot by guns, not nessessarily killed but shot, are shot by accedent.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#7    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

He should be campaigning for strict gun safety training within the police force, instead of being a ****** *** and try to take away our right to bare arms.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#8    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,083 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

You have have all the bear arms you want. You just have to hunt the bears first.

I watch all this stuff down in the US and I agree that people should have the ability to own and use firearms for hunting, and in rural areas, property/livestock defence.

I dont beleive that people should own snub nose pistols, should be allowed to conceal carry pistols. You can effectivly defend your home with a hunting shotgun. A pistol is more likely to miss the target then hit the target, due to the short barrel.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

#9    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,542 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

It's always the gun's fault. Colt, Ruger, S & W and all gun manufacturers need to stop putting brains
in their firearms so those weapons can't think for themselves and shoot people.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#10    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,319 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostThanato, on 09 February 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

You have have all the bear arms you want. You just have to hunt the bears first.

I watch all this stuff down in the US and I agree that people should have the ability to own and use firearms for hunting, and in rural areas, property/livestock defence.

I dont beleive that people should own snub nose pistols, should be allowed to conceal carry pistols. You can effectivly defend your home with a hunting shotgun. A pistol is more likely to miss the target then hit the target, due to the short barrel.

Handguns are lot more easier to handle in your own or long hallways, due to the fact you don't have to raise your pistol to fire. It makes it much more easier to aim at the perp who is breaking into your home with intent to kill you.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#11    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,083 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 09 February 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

Handguns are lot more easier to handle in your own or long hallways, due to the fact you don't have to raise your pistol to fire. It makes it much more easier to aim at the perp who is breaking into your home with intent to kill you.

Easier to handle yes, easier to aim no. Most people cant hit a target with a pistol with out lots of practice at a static range. They are inaccurate due to the small barrel. A millimeter off your aim will mean inches or even feet down at your target. Many people dont realize this and the problem only gets worse the shorter the barrel. You might hit the person breaking into your home, or you might hit Timmy in the next house over. Or you might empty your mag and not hit a damn thing but the broad side of the barn. I've had a pistol when I was overseas in Afghanistan, and I knew that if it came down to it I'd have better luck throwing it at the Taliban then shooting with it.

~Thanato

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,387 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Sounds like the officers needed to take the NRA gun safety course.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,319 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostThanato, on 09 February 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Easier to handle yes, easier to aim no. Most people cant hit a target with a pistol with out lots of practice at a static range. They are inaccurate due to the small barrel. A millimeter off your aim will mean inches or even feet down at your target. Many people dont realize this and the problem only gets worse the shorter the barrel. You might hit the person breaking into your home, or you might hit Timmy in the next house over. Or you might empty your mag and not hit a damn thing but the broad side of the barn. I've had a pistol when I was overseas in Afghanistan, and I knew that if it came down to it I'd have better luck throwing it at the Taliban then shooting with it.

~Thanato

First gun I ever shot was a pistol, I could easily hit my targets. Maybe it is because I got a steady hand, hand/eye cordination, and I have a firm understanding how guns work. I got like 2 pistols now... 40 and 45 caliber.

#14    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

I guess along with being underpaid and overworked we should force police officers to buy gun insurance too.

I respectfully disagree with this statement when the average patrol officer who works maybe 1hr out of his 12 hr shift the rest is sitting in the car and talking bs with his partners as underpaid. They can often make over 100k a year with overtime. There overtime comes from securing the scene for other detective types that need the patrol cops to hang around hours beyond there shifts and just stand around. Not exactly overworked.

I will agree elements of there job can be high risk but those are very quick and end quickly episodes.

#15    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,319 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 09 February 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

I respectfully disagree with this statement when the average patrol officer who works maybe 1hr out of his 12 hr shift the rest is sitting in the car and talking bs with his partners as underpaid. They can often make over 100k a year with overtime. There overtime comes from securing the scene for other detective types that need the patrol cops to hang around hours beyond there shifts and just stand around. Not exactly overworked.

I will agree elements of there job can be high risk but those are very quick and end quickly episodes.

Some of my family members work as police officers. I wanted to become one too, to bring some good into it. You know... to serve and protect the people, instead of viewing them as the enemies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users