Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Blizzard NE USA

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,160 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

HOLY *BEEP*  That was one Hell of a ride. I've been without heat/electric/internet for over 48 hours. There's 22 inches of new snow and trees are down everywhere. I just went out this AM (I have an AWD SUV) and I couldn't even count the number of trees that came down in my town alone. There are still people without power...it's the lack of heat that really stinks. I can't wait to have some hot water! Wait...this means I can go make a cup of tea!!! :w00t:

Edited by Lilly, 11 February 2013 - 12:26 AM.
left out a word

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#17    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Glad to hear your safe if only a bit cold. All those trees will make for a good firewood season. If you are on a bit of l;and make sure you get into usable firewood for next year and youll be staying cozy with a cup of hot tea during events such as this.

Hell thats what we did last year when we had a ice storm drop many trees in Pac NW last year. Granted they were my trees on my land that fell.

#18    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,160 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I just found out that 40% of my town is still without power. In surrounding towns up to 70% are still without power. The storm may be over but the suffering certainly isn't.

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#19    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,160 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Driving around here is still really something...traffic lights with no power are a real challenge, some trees still in the roads, now we have ice on top of all this mess! I'm going out later this AM, stands to be an interesting outing (to say the least).

#20    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostLilly, on 12 February 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Driving around here is still really something...traffic lights with no power are a real challenge, some trees still in the roads, now we have ice on top of all this mess! I'm going out later this AM, stands to be an interesting outing (to say the least).
It wasn't even a storm in a teacup last Sunday.
We had the blizzard instead today.
However because the British weather is so fluctuating and erratic we had a rainfall afterwards.
Despite the fact the night had drawn in.
These snow showers round here have got the regularity and unpredictability of flash floods.
At least the thaw is ensuring I havn't got a big white mess outside my doorstep.
If you've got one Brit moaning about snow it's no wonder there's going to be a standstill.
Thanks Lilly for bringing the blizzard here because I'm hoping it'll take the heat off you.
Though I'm asking for too much.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#21    MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Here in southern Maine we recieved 30 inches of snow.  And while I've seen more snow on the ground in the past (we've had up to 4 feet of snow on the ground due to several seperate storms), I've never been in a snowstorm this big.

However, unlike Boston and Providence, we are used to large amounts of snow.  So when the storm ended, the next morning we were all shovelled out and plowed out.  Everything was back to normal.

#22    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,160 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Well, here we go again. Blizzard conditions for today and overnight. Another 5 to 8 inches of snow and high winds that could knock out the power again (some people have only had power restored since Thursday). This weather is seriously miserable.

#23    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,387 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

View PostLilly, on 17 February 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Well, here we go again. Blizzard conditions for today and overnight. Another 5 to 8 inches of snow and high winds that could knock out the power again (some people have only had power restored since Thursday). This weather is seriously miserable.

Do you suffer this every year, Lilly?  Every few years?  :(

(Wishing all in the vicinity well)

Edited by Eldorado, 17 February 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#24    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,160 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostEldorado, on 17 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Do you suffer this every year, Lilly?  Every few years?

Only every few years is it this bad. Sure, we generally have a good amount of snow in the winter, but these horrible blizzards aren't really commonplace.

#25    MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

As of the time of this writing, eastern Maine is under a Blizzard Warning.

However, I live in southern Maine, and today we just got two inches of snow here (although we had some bitterly-cold wind today).

#26    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

While the UK is basking in sunshine...
A major golf tournament has been shelved in Arizona because of snow.
I thought Arizona was a dry,parched desert with it only getting chilly at night.
I should have gathered there was mountains.
Though you'll have to admit they have a town called Snowflake in the state.
But I thought when they named the place the settlers were pining for New England.
This place and Taylor actually have a significant role in the Travis Walton case.
And here's me thinking Marshall Mathers was using " blistering cold" just as something to rhyme.

Edited by Medium Brown, 21 February 2013 - 10:46 AM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#27    MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I've lived in New England all my life.  And I've lived in Maine for most of my life.  Yet I've never been in a full-fledged blizzard before.

We had the Blizzard of 1978.  But that occured about 8 or 9 months before I was born.  And in 1993, we were supposed to get a blizzard.  However where I live in inland Maine, we got lots of snow from that storm, but no wind like meteorologists were expecting.

However, the Blizzard of 2013 brought not only lots of snow where I live, but also a fair amount of wind.  Hence, it was the first real blizzard I've ever witnessed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users