Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Non-believers, why do you post here ?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

I was just reading this thread , http://www.unexplain...howtopic=242661 ,and it makes one ponder ,WHY .

The title of this forum ,is UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES ,and each sub forum has a very definative title as well.
Why,if you do not believe in anything unexplained ,occult ,mysterious or conspiracy ,why do any of the non believers post and come to this forum then .

Why don't you all post in a forum for people who think people who are believers , are just all delusional .

And I'm not trying to start flame wars ,but it begs the question ,are people who post in forum for things they do NOT believe in ,only posting to creat trouble ,belittle others ,or be a troll ....

If you're a non believer ,what do you get out of a forum for unexplained mysteries ?

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 09 February 2013 - 06:29 AM.

Miss me?

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,820 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

Because I'm curious about things I do not know/understand.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

This question has been asked and answered a 1000 times on this site. We are here because we have an interest in these topics just like you.

I can just as easily ask why believers post here and not on a forum for people who believe like you. If all you want is blind agreement why not post on a forum with only believers?

Do you really just want a bunch of people just agreeing with you all the time? "Yep that's a ghost" "Yeah I see it too" "OMG I had the same thing happen to me." That would get old real fast, and I would bet that after only a short while some people would start wishing that some of the non believers would come back.

Edited by Odin11, 09 February 2013 - 07:08 AM.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#4    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Great thread Simbi. :tu:

I realy wish to see answers of some sceptics  then I will respond.

Seriously....Great thread. Its one of those threads: "Emperor has no clothes."

Edited by the L, 09 February 2013 - 07:18 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#5    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

One of the biggest issues is people posting and wanting a paranormal answer, when there is usually an obvious and logical explanation. I'd love to believe in a lot of the crap that gets thrown around these boards but I'm not the kind of person to roll over and take your word for it if there is a more logical explanation.

Edit: Yes the site is called Unexplained Mysteries - but it is also a discussion board. If you want everyone to agree with you and believe every crazy thing you say then you're in the wrong place, not the people who question you.

Edited by Timonthy, 09 February 2013 - 07:04 AM.

Posted Image

#6    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 February 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

are people who post in forum for things they do NOT believe in ,only posting to creat trouble ,belittle others ,or be a troll ....
Is this not the same: People posting topics about the paranormal, claiming things are absolute and 100% true, but they are not able to provide a shred of credible evidence.

Posted Image

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

I think there are sceptics here who knows a lot and want to spread knowledge and in the same time they are curious. But there are also some who cures they complexes by attacking peoples with idea. Like they are on some kind of agenda. Propaganda. Surpression plan. Like they dont want to some questions to be discussed. I start to think on few members before that they came from similar site such as UM (although that doesnt exist) and try to ruin conversation.

Also there are many sceptics who are not sceptics at all. They hide behind sceptic mask.

Edited by the L, 09 February 2013 - 07:19 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostOdin11, on 09 February 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

This question has been asked and answered a 1000 times on this site. We are here because we have an interest in these topics just like you.

I can just as easily ask why believers post here and not on a forum for people who believe like you. If all you want is blind agreement why not post on a forum with only believers?

Do you really just want a bunch of people just agreeing with you all the time? "Yep that's a ghost" "Yeah I see it too" "OMG I had the same thing happen to me." That would get old real fast, and I would bet that after only a short while some people would start wishing that some of the non believers would come back.

Yes,I come to this forum to talk with like minded people. I don't go to sleptic forums to berate people who do not share my views.
Being attacked for my beliefs and ideas ,in a place that is supposed to be for like minded people ,gets very tedious .
I don't like being told ,I don't have enough education to make the statements I make. I don't like being told I'm a liar,delluded or need to see a psychiatrist .
Again,if you don't agree with people to come to a forum to talk about these topics,as the title of the forum states,why bother coming,except to do a superiority routine on others ?

Miss me?

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 09 February 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Is this not the same: People posting topics about the paranormal, claiming things are absolute and 100% true, but they are not able to provide a shred of credible evidence.
If this forum is to discuss the unexplained ,why does anyone have to show proof . And then why do you post here.
The forum isn't ,,DEBUNK unexplained mysteries ,its unexplained mysteries .

Miss me?

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 09 February 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

One of the biggest issues is people posting and wanting a paranormal answer, when there is usually an obvious and logical explanation. I'd love to believe in a lot of the crap that gets thrown around these boards but I'm not the kind of person to roll over and take your word for it if there is a more logical explanation.

Edit: Yes the site is called Unexplained Mysteries - but it is also a discussion board. If you want everyone to agree with you and believe every crazy thing you say then you're in the wrong place, not the people who question you.

It's discussion ,of unexplained mysteries . Why would skeptics want to post at all ?
Again,I do not do to debunk occult forums ,to pose opposite arguments . It seems to defeat the purpose of why I come to forum ,unless I just want to be a trouble maker,and call people an idiot because they don't share my views.
All the skeptics on this forum ,repeatedly chortle and pat on another on the back ..
"Ha ha,yeah ...show proof of that ! "
"Haha ,you conspiracy nuts are so nuts "
Ha ha ,you believe in demons,go see a doctor now ! "

That's not discussion ,at all. It attacking someone for their ideas and beliefs .....
?????
Why is the thread about who's the biggest conspiracy nut ,ok ...but this thread is not ?
Its ok to mock conspiracy theorists ,but not ok to mock people who all claim to be the voices of reason ,for everyone.

And if this topic has been posted before,please post the old threads .
I would like to see what people have said before .

Miss me?

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 February 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Because I'm curious about things I do not know/understand.
This makes sense. Going to understand why people believe what they do ,and maybe learn something ,even if its not your belief system .

Miss me?

#12    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,732 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Its really wierd to me too because a lot of skeptics spend a lot of time here. And its not like they question some things that could be a bump in the dark, they challenge things that are spelled out really clearly. Some have said : I experienced unexplained things but I still dont believe it and there is no other logical explaination for what happened. This is probably the majority of the cases that stick around they probably are adament about disproving what happened to themselves and so feel the need to disproove everyone else. For the skeptics who dont believe anything at all and truly had no experiences? I don't know what thier interest is.. maybe its entertaining like watching tv or playing video games or something. To say: this is an open discussion, what, you want everybody to believe you or something? That doesn't answer the question about why a person is so attracted to trying to discredit paranormal experiences.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#13    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,132 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

I do think there is, as I've remarked before, quite a difference between proper skepticism - not believeing everything automatically without some proof to back it up, but being willing to remain open minded and willing to consider new or unusual ideas - and blanket kneejerk denial, which some people, I think, do do. I think there are some people who do seem to see it as their mission to persuade everyone that there are no supernatural phenomena at all, and that what they like to call "Science" has the answers to everything (although their idea of science is really just the opposite of science, since science is all about exploring new ideas and new possibilities, and considering all evidence without any preconceptions). These people sometimes wear the badge of "Debunker" as a badge of pride, which says all you need to know about their view of anything supernatural- that they've alreadty decided it's all bunk. They sometimes remind me rather of the more angry and miltant kind of atheist, who not only believe that there is no God, but insist on trying to force their views on everyone else.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#14    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

in  a world  of  people  who  have  not  a moments  question  about   their  god  ,  their  job  ,  or  political  ideas...  why  they  come  here  is   quite  a  good  question .

i  do  not  fit  in  a good  church .   i  have  not  worked  a day  in  40  years  (  although  my  boss   thinks  what  i  do  as  play   , needs  pay  to  be  done  with  good  results) ...  people  openly  call  me  strange ,  and  i  have  no disagreement .

i  snuggle  up  to  some  one  who  disagrees  with  me  enought  to  argue  well...   but  frankly...  normal  people  can  take  a  long  walk  off  a short pier ...  i  do  not  need  or  care  what  they  think .

frankly  speaking,  block me ...  your  not  going  to  be  missed ...  i  live  in a world   of  people  blocking  me  out...

i  seek  the  women  i  have  not  yet  met  ...   or  a dreamer   who  wants  to  take  a long  bet that  i  can  not  blow  their  idea  of  reality  into  something   not present

edit:   and  may  i  say  with  true  delight  in   how  the  words  are  ment...  all you  people  are   nut cases...   beleiving  in  sun spots....   every one  knows  that  god  made  the  sun  with  out  flaws...

Edited by onereaderone, 09 February 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#15    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

Personally, I post here because I'm intrigued at the mental processes involved in the beliefs some people have about conspiracies. Don't get me wrong, I do have my own, so I'm no exception, but I don't believe JFK was a plot with dark and hidden intrigues, I don't believe 911 was the work of our own government. I don't believe flight 600 was shot down by a US missile. I don't think the Illuminati controls everything. I do believe there are other intelligent being in the universe, I simply don't believe they're coming to Earth to shove the ever present ice cold anal probe up old farmer Brown's bung hole. Chemtrails.....please.

My own personal feeling is that the truth of such things is simply too mundane and it's just so much cooler to believe all this sort of crap........even though, if it were true......then how is it that we'd know about it? The whole point of a conspiracy is to keep it quiet and under wraps so no one ever knows and here we are talking about it. posting about it. Virtually every week there's some new "revelation" exposed about this or that secret group or dark society. If it's a secret then they need to do a better job of keeping it that way.

So, yeah, I'm interested in learning what makes people believe this stuff.

Well, that and I can report what you guys know to my Masters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users