Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Egyptian Youtube Censorship

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,964 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...nti-islam-film/

I don't know how individual sites can be blocked from the net.  Anyone care to explain that to me?  How is it accomplished technically?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#2    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

It's pretty simple on a P.C., use a host file where specific site loops back to the originating computer hence you get nothing, I'd imagine an I.S.P. does something similar (Under authority of their government).

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

#3    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

U Tube has  some kind of blocking system. They do it all the time on copyright issues. " This video is unavailable for in your country"

Edited by AsteroidX, 10 February 2013 - 02:53 AM.

#4    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Generally, and perhaps not in all countries, the physical cables that enter a country go to a giant hub, maybe more than one depending on size of country. These hubs may be administered by a collective of ISPs on behalf of the government, or by the government itself. The ISPs then take feed off the hub or hubs. There is a specific technical name for these hubs but I forget. So, all internet traffic entering or leaving a country can be monitored and controlled at, often, a single point. It is an easy matter for any government to impose blocking on any site like Youtube, or even blocks against specific countries. About control of satelite uplinks I do not know.

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,964 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone.  I am not tech savvy and had some concept of the inet as some free for all I guess.  Today it's You Tube, wonder what the PTB in Egypt will decide is inappropriate for it's citizens tomorrow?

#6    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,868 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

View Postand then, on 10 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Thanks everyone.  I am not tech savvy and had some concept of the inet as some free for all I guess.  Today it's You Tube, wonder what the PTB in Egypt will decide is inappropriate for it's citizens tomorrow?
The courts "ordered the government"?   Where is it in Egypt's Constitution that says their courts can do that?

Turkey bans their citizens from Youtube due to attacks on Ataturk, mainly from Greeks and Armenians who have a vendetta.  There's a lot of "Was Ataturk gay?" content that Turkey finds offensive and like I asked my Turkish g/f, if these rumors are false then Turks should be allowed a voice online to counter them, not silenced so they're allowed to continue.  She agreed though it's hardly surprising her family lives in the secular west side of Istanbul and disagree with the Islamic reforms the current administration is allowing.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,964 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostYamato, on 11 February 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

The courts "ordered the government"?   Where is it in Egypt's Constitution that says their courts can do that?

Turkey bans their citizens from Youtube due to attacks on Ataturk, mainly from Greeks and Armenians who have a vendetta.  There's a lot of "Was Ataturk gay?" content that Turkey finds offensive and like I asked my Turkish g/f, if these rumors are false then Turks should be allowed a voice online to counter them, not silenced so they're allowed to continue.  She agreed though it's hardly surprising her family lives in the secular west side of Istanbul and disagree with the Islamic reforms the current administration is allowing.
I think the point of the piece was that the MB controlled Islamist government is already beginning to enforce religious extremism.  I sincerely hope your G/Fs family has a plan B because I think Turkey is on the way to reverting back to this same kind of extremism, forgetting and eroding all the things done by Attaturk.  Erdogan is a menace and it will become more apparent as time goes by I think.

#8    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Not only YT, other social network sites like FB and Twitter were instrumental in development of the "Arab Spring" uprisings, would the Egyptian government ban those sites next? (I hope not for goodness sake). Egypt is relatively new to democracy, but what the Muslim Brotherhood believes in is not purely democratic...imposing new laws or regulations based on someone's religious belief will not work out in a country which had a previous secular yet tyrannical government.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,868 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postand then, on 11 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

I think the point of the piece was that the MB controlled Islamist government is already beginning to enforce religious extremism.
I'm well aware of the point the piece was trying to make but it failed to make it when it starts off with a false and ridiculous statement like that.  

Banning internet isn't unique to Egypt.   Banning Youtube isn't unique to anybody.   There's bans in the US too; I've seen them personally on my own channel and it's pretty sad, per AsteroidX's post above.   Of course we won't care about that, we want to care about others when they do it, not us, and Egypt certainly looks PC enough to pick on, the Moozlims that they are.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users