Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

"like" point ranking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#1    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

One of the things i like about UM is that you can choose to "like" some ones comment and show your support. Your profile title depends on how many posts you have contributed to the forum, which i like as ii have been coming here for more than a year.

I was wondering if the idea of a "like ranking system " might show that a persons opinions in the past have been met with agreement and that they post positively rather than the other end of  spectrum of people who troll often.

i would hazard the idea of  a ranking " Dislike" title system but there are many ways it could be abused, such as "disliking" just because you disagree with that persons beliefs. " Disliking" could be done in this way, five dislikes count as a minus point to their points in ranking up.

I do have one more idea to make my previous ideas more workable. Even if a person isnt liked in one part of a forum, he might be exalted in another part of the forum. so your liked or disliked rank would be different depending on the forum area you were contributing.

it might make it easier to find new Mods, i say that not knowing the process of Moderator selection.

i look forward to hearing your critiques and how you might improve on my ideas or have a completely new suggestion your self.

Yours sincerely Armchair Educated

Edited by Armchair Educated, 09 February 2013 - 04:44 PM.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

POPULAR

I like the 'like' button cos it saves me typing a reply along the lines of 'I agree!' or 'lol'.

:)

As for your ranking idea... lol

(only joking)

Edited by Eldorado, 09 February 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#3    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'd love a dislike button, Please give us one. As for likes. Sometimes they are given for good points or agreeable points but other times they are given for funny comments too so they're not a representation of how good a discussion the user can present. Anyhow, I think they're pointless without a dislike button. I also imagine that likes are sometimes given by some users to their 'favorite' UM members as well; I've been on plenty of forums to know that little 'in-groups' can form or that some are held in higher regard than others.

There already is a ranking chart by the way, I was 12th at one stage- It's posts and likes compared or some ****, dunno where I am now though.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#4    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,678 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostEldorado, on 09 February 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

I like the 'like' button cos it saves me typing a reply along the lines of 'I agree!' or 'lol'.

I agree (and I liked your post to prove it!)!

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I would not want and would never use a "dislike" button.  In fact its absence is one of the things that distinguishes this board in my mind.

Yes there are posts I think are obnoxious and hateful, but monitors can deal with them if I'm right; I just ignore them.  In the meantime there is always the Golden Rule to keep in mind.

I often "like" posts I disagree with, for several reasons.  First, I may be getting ready to post my disagreement, and I want the other person to know I'm friendly about it (disagreements sometimes don't seem that way to the other person no matter how careful I am).  Second, I may just think that even though I disagree they still have a good point, or the point was well said, or something like that.  Also, of course, if a post makes me smile I am very likely to "like" it.

#6    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

POPULAR

View PostSean93, on 09 February 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I'd love a dislike button, Please give us one.
Oh dear, no, this has been brought up before, it would just promote hit and run rudeness. At least by having to quote posts which you dislike, you have to explain why, and not just click "Dislike" and then stroll off without even saying why.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#7    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 09 February 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Oh dear, no, this has been brought up before, it would just promote hit and run rudeness. At least by having to quote posts which you dislike, you have to explain why, and not just click "Dislike" and then stroll off without even saying why.

It's not like it would be an anonymous dislike. We'd see that 'USER' disliked this post. They can then be asked why. I doubt we'll get said option though - can't be offending people...

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,838 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think a point system would simply cause too many problems. It would promote descrimination, in that people who get a lot of Dislikes would be treated much worse, while those with a lot of Like ranking would be treated better. It is a metric that a discussion forum can probably do without.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 09 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

I think a point system would simply cause too many problems. It would promote descrimination, in that people who get a lot of Dislikes would be treated much worse, while those with a lot of Like ranking would be treated better. It is a metric that a discussion forum can probably do without.

Compeltely agree with this. :tu:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#10    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

was just a thought, thanks for the input peeps.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#11    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Like the topic. But Im not necessarily here to be "liked". As I frequent the political forums it can get a bit nasty from all sides concerned. Then I can wonder into UFO land and its such a different vibe. So alls good.

I think might have achieved 1 popular post in my short UM career and that was from a comment made in the did the Illuminati sink the Titanic. Yes I agree it was one of my better moments not being known for excessive humor. :gun:

Edited by AsteroidX, 09 February 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 09 February 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I was wondering if the idea of a "like ranking system " might show that a persons opinions in the past have been met with agreement and that they post positively rather than the other end of  spectrum of people who troll often.

very good ideas there, its the points ranking bit which i am not sure about though.
not sure how this with go down in the religious or gun threads, many disagreements in those. I was called a troll once because I would not be converted towards someone elses opinion...that was just so not fair! :passifier:

#13    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,998 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

I like the like button....  but  sometimes ya tend to just click [like]  instead of responding , textually ?    It's fun to check your "like"  notifications.. for  actual responses.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#14    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Why on earth do we need a ranking system to see how many people like us and dislike us anyway? This is a discussion board, not a popularity contest. The Like button doubles for "I agree" or "good point," but a Dislike button would add absolutely nothing to a conversation. This is about sharing ideas and opinions and discussing them right? Not just saying "you're wrong!"

Why invite more negativity into our lives?

Embrace the impossible.

#15    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,125 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

View Postlightly, on 09 February 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

I like the like button....  but  sometimes ya tend to just click [like]  instead of responding , textually ? It's fun to check your "like"  notifications.. for  actual responses.
I quite often do that by mistake, often if I'm in a hurry to reply to something because I disagree with it vehemently. Consequently, it can sometimes seem as if I Like a post that I then go on to argue with, violently.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users