Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

"like" point ranking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#31    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostHasina, on 11 February 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

I like a post when I agree with it, when it makes me laugh, when the person makes a good point even if I don't agree with it, or if a point's been made that I wanted to make but no longer need to.

In other words you like almost every post you see lol.

#32    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 11 February 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Snap!

Burn!!!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#33    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,086 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I mainly gives Likes to people I find attractive.

:santa:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 11 February 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

I mainly gives Likes to people I find attractive.

:santa:
As good a reason as any, I guess.... :tsu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I hardly give likes to anyone.  I'm in general not fond of those aspects of forums, so I tend to ignore them.  It's nothing personal.

I'm just a curmudgeon.  Bah humbug.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#36    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,496 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

In other Like news....

"Facebook is facing legal action over its use of the "like" button and other features of the social network."
http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-21411622

#37    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 11 February 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Not really, no.
I like:
A point I agree with.
A joke I find funny.
A well made point I don't agree with, makes logical sense to me or has changed my opinion.
If I'm about to post something but what I'm about to add has been added by someone else.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#38    omerta

omerta

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

I don't see the point in the like system. Why was it even brought in? Does having more likes then someone mean you're a "better UMer?"

#39    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

View Postomerta, on 12 February 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

I don't see the point in the like system. Why was it even brought in? Does having more likes then someone mean you're a "better UMer?"
I think the stated purpose was to prevent one word posts, such as "YES!", and "Cool", and "I agree".

#40    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostHasina, on 11 February 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

I Like: A well made point I don't agree with, makes logical sense to me or has changed my opinion.

Awesome! (above likeing rational)

That imo, is a sign of someone who's ego is not controlling them..
Am crossing threads a little here Hasina, but I know you may have taken a little flack in the whole who's the most polular in the ego stakes with the existence of just a points ranking system..

:tu:

Edited to add little happy thumb face. :)

Edited by Professor T, 12 February 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#41    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Currently I have 145 likes and 2,148 (plus this one) posts to made me wonder what's my percentage of liked posts? (I guessed 7% is my estimate). Whoever had the most likes is simply a coincidence, not someone is "better liked" than the other member. I give likes to posts I really like and has a fun, interesting or "funteresting" point of what it's making.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate, 12 February 2013 - 07:15 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#42    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,086 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

I think the stated purpose was to prevent one word posts, such as "YES!", and "Cool", and "I agree".
I agree.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#43    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

View PostLord Vetinari, on 12 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I agree.

:lol:

Which obviously hasn't worked because at the point of me posting this there hasn't been a like between these two quoted posts..

#44    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,387 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 11 February 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

that latter bit got me thinking :blush: ; I've been on other forums* that have had a similar system, but some of them have had a "DISLIKE" function as well, and to be fair that's rarely been abused, and it didn't say "xxxx disliked this post", it just subtracted one point from the total, so anyone would have to be very observant, and not a little obssessive, to keep track of everyone's total to know whether one point had been subtracted. That seems a reasonably fair way of having a Dislike function. Anyway, this also included the ability to post a short message along with your vote, to say why you liked it, or a supportive message or something like that. That could be a useful facility sometimes, since it might save on having to post a reply just to say "good point, bruv" or "lol".

* or fora
If anyone should have a point deducted, it should be the one posting the dislike, not the one receiving it.  If you hate a post enough to incur that cost, then fine, but dislikes should not be free.

#45    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostTsa-La-Gie Oyate, on 12 February 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Currently I have 145 likes and 2,148 (plus this one) posts to made me wonder what's my percentage of liked posts? (I guessed 7% is my estimate). Whoever had the most likes is simply a coincidence, not someone is "better liked" than the other member. I give likes to posts I really like and has a fun, interesting or "funteresting" point of what it's making.

Refer to post #337 of this thread (page 23). This is for posters who have been members for longer than the like system has been installed.

You have 525 likes since the system was installed on April 28th of last year. With 145 likes that gives you a percentage of 27.62%. Better than 7%, though I know your estimate was based on all of your posts. Edit - Actually, I didn't count your 'stragglers'. You actually have 549 posts since then, not 525, which gives you a percentage of 26.41%.

(Diechecker, I tried this with you, but you have too many posts for it to work properly! You'd have to count all your likes since November (You have posted 1000 times since then) individually. Lol).

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 12 February 2013 - 10:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users