Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

"like" point ranking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#46    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Reading all the suggestions, I think in the end the system is about as it should be.  The only thing I would change is to take out is the total likes that appears on one's profile.  It leads to calculating ratios and competition and all that sort of misleading and unhelpful stuff.

#47    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Keep the like system as it would encourage me to read intelligent disccusions and not the mindless ones which are just not my time worth

#48    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,377 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 12 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

(Diechecker, I tried this with you, but you have too many posts for it to work properly! You'd have to count all your likes since November (You have posted 1000 times since then) individually. Lol).
Ah MAN!!

Oh well. That is the result of Intel giving me a whole hour for my lunch break....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#49    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,302 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I think there should be a button that says "I like the first paragraph but disagree with the second" and  "I don't like what you've said but I understand and can sympathize" Those buttons could be called "Partial Like" and ":(".

the ranking part doesn't matter to me..

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#50    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 12 February 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

Ah MAN!!

Oh well. That is the result of Intel giving me a whole hour for my lunch break....

If it's any consolation, it seemed like it would be a very high percentage.

#51    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,302 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

probably ":(" wouldn't really work... hmm

how about "sympathize" no that's corny.

um.....

I don't know... some creative guiness could come up with it, but will it ever make it on to the forums.... that's the real question!

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#52    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,532 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 12 February 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I think there should be a button that says "I like the first paragraph but disagree with the second" and  "I don't like what you've said but I understand and can sympathize" Those buttons could be called "Partial Like" and " :(".

How about  :huh:  or :hmm: ?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#53    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,302 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 12 February 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

How about  :huh:  or :hmm: ?

I like those, especially the second one. I don't think the first portrays the true essence of the sentiment.

#54    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,041 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 12 February 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

probably ":(" wouldn't really work... hmm

how about "sympathize" no that's corny.

um.....

I don't know... some creative guiness could come up with it, but will it ever make it on to the forums.... that's the real question!
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#55    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,302 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

:su

Probably this one would do...

#56    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,302 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostHasina, on 12 February 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"?

That could be a third button. I'm talking about when somebody says "my cat died" or something like that... You don't want to "like" it, you know what I mean, but you sympathize...

#57    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,041 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 12 February 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

That could be a third button. I'm talking about when somebody says "my cat died" or something like that... You don't want to "like" it, you know what I mean, but you sympathize...
I usually get the idea that if someone 'likes' a sad post, they're liking it for the emotions it draws out, for making us empathize with them.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#58    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

I may be the only one thinking this way but the idea of a like button has gotten to much thought put into it lately.With this amount of thoughtfulness on a subject we could all put our minds together and cure cancer!I will use the like button on whatever i damn well please if other's like it cool,if not it does not bother me one bit.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#59    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,377 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

I "like" that we could cure Cancer if we wanted to. ;)

Maybe a "Yada yada yada...." button? Or a "Doh!!" button. Or a "LOL" button?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#60    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,504 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

I'd like it if there was a like button on my posts... so i could like them  ..  lol

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users