Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Challenge to all writers!

BNDGK

So an art teacher recently introduced me to 'mourning pages'. Werid name and kinda cheesey but it makes sense I think. I challenge you when you wake up every other morning for a week, try to right an entire page of unconcious writing. Try not to do much inbetween waking up and doing this, like showering/eating/drinking. Let it be an unconsious flow of emotion on to the page.

I would encourage you to share what you have written but I know that most things that i write unconciously are... things that i dont want to share. Feel free to share if you want to though, i'd love to hear if any of you are half as crazy as me in the mornings. I have heard of people doing similar things in writing dreams but i dont always remember my dreams very well. Just let it flow. I know it helped me the first time I did it and dont worry about spelling (although i know for most accomplished artists this is hard).

Having done this for a while i have created several journal pages in my sketch book of unconcious writing. Most of the time writing these things can help determine your mood as well. Its interesting the differences in how you feel and what you write.

Maybe you would just like to share funny or deep snippets of what you write. Feel free :)

Also, just a note that if you begin and cant think of a single thing because you are still so sleepy perhaps, start with a simple phrase such as "i want" or "i need" and go from there!

Edited by BNDGK
  • Like 1

I've written about a dozen novels, twice as many short stories and at least one major epic poem in my lifetime. None of them ever saw paper.

• Like 1

Oh... I dont dare. Some things are better left unsaid, for the reader's own good too,

I've written about a dozen novels, twice as many short stories and at least one major epic poem in my lifetime. None of them ever saw paper.

Thats really great but have you ever shared them with anyone? Orally perhaps? You should share them or record them in some way so that they may atleast be enjoyed by others and so that they will not be lost when you are not around to tell them. I applaud you in this however because i can claim no such acheivments. Very amazing :yes:

• Like 1

Oh... I dont dare. Some things are better left unsaid, for the reader's own good too,

Well even if you dont share them, i would encourage you to try, it really helps to clear your mind. I also find it an efficient way to order my thoughts on some issues. Its your choice to try it though ;)

Thats really great but have you ever shared them with anyone? Orally perhaps? You should share them or record them in some way so that they may atleast be enjoyed by others and so that they will not be lost when you are not around to tell them. I applaud you in this however because i can claim no such acheivments. Very amazing :yes:

I've started to write a dozen or more times, a week later read what I've written, made myself ill that I would put down such crap, and decided to keep my regular job.

Well even if you dont share them, i would encourage you to try, it really helps to clear your mind. I also find it an efficient way to order my thoughts on some issues. Its your choice to try it though ;)

Since I've been laid up I have found this message board, and although it doesn't quite serve the purpose, I am getting good practice, so if I survive I may try again some day.
  • Like 1

Me too

• Like 1

Since I've been laid up I have found this message board, and although it doesn't quite serve the purpose, I am getting good practice, so if I survive I may try again some day.

Good luck! :tu:

Me too

Wow. I can't say ive been around quite as long as some of the people on here but i certainly havnt written this much. Ive written around 2 full finished novels, i have around 4 in progress although who knows if i will ever finish them, and around 7 full journals of poems. I think that im a very fickle writter though because many of the novels i have created are yet unfinished. But hey, I still feel as if i have plenty of life ahead (well, i am hopefull of this) and i still have a little time to become a better writer and hopefully finish a few things every once and a while. :geek:

Wow. I can't say ive been around quite as long as some of the people on here but i certainly havnt written this much. Ive written around 2 full finished novels, i have around 4 in progress although who knows if i will ever finish them, and around 7 full journals of poems. I think that im a very fickle writter though because many of the novels i have created are yet unfinished. But hey, I still feel as if i have plenty of life ahead (well, i am hopefull of this) and i still have a little time to become a better writer and hopefully finish a few things every once and a while. :geek:

Lol when I said me too, I was also including the part where these novels and epic poems never met the paper... well parts of them did and continue too but for the most part they are on my head..

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

Lol when I said me too, I was also including the part where these novels and epic poems never met the paper... well parts of them did and continue too but for the most part they are on my head..

:blush: Hehe... Sorry :) A little dimwitted today... LOL

Edited by BNDGK

I've written novels and short stories and some epic(ly bad) poetry that has seen computer screen and some paper. Ha.

I don't have time to write a page of mind vomit every morning. I guess it could be good practice at tapping into creativity if you have a problem with that.

I wonder why they're called mourning papers, and not morning papers.

I've written novels and short stories and some epic(ly bad) poetry that has seen computer screen and some paper. Ha.

I don't have time to write a page of mind vomit every morning. I guess it could be good practice at tapping into creativity if you have a problem with that.

I wonder why they're called mourning papers, and not morning papers.

Well as for the name, mourning used here is referring to the fact that sometimes when doing these things most people will find that sometimes you may write things very deep and, especially after a tragedy in your life, you may find it very easy to write unconciously like this. Also i think it was used because of the double effect of morning/mourning. It may be called whatever one choses i suppose. I simply chose to use the name i had first learned it as.

Also, i dont do this because i have problems with using my creativity, i think i have plenty of creativity. I just do it as an interesting way to express myself and the things you write can be incorporated into many things such as a peice of artwork. I was merely sharing the concept of it with other people.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply you didn't have creativity. :) I just figured it would work for that kinda thing.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply you didn't have creativity. :) I just figured it would work for that kinda thing.

Its true, it really would help in such situations. Also, i read some of your poems and i think they're all good, and i looked on your writing page. Its cool too. :tu: