Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

My Sunday at an Atheistic Church

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,752 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

#2    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

I can only personally find two possible purposes in this:
  • To spread the belief that there is no God in a similar mannor most Churches do
  • Or to simply poke fun at and belittle the believers in God
To me, it takes atheism one more glorious step toward becoming a religion in and of itself, therefore abolishing the entire intent behind the original message of their belief. Not only that, but they become demeaning toward other believers in God, by creating a sort of 'church parody' hosted by a comedian.

It's honestly not very far off from LaVeyan Satanism. Which is certainly classified as a religion.

LaVeyan Satanism is one of several distinct religions identifying itself as Satanic. Followers are atheists who stress dependence on the self rather than reliance on any outside power. It encourages individualism, hedonism, materialism, ego, personal initiative, self-worth and self-determinism.

http://altreligion.a.../a/satanism.htm

Essentially my question is, if these atheists hate the idea of religion so much, then why have they built their own?

Edited by AquilaChrysaetos, 11 February 2013 - 12:44 AM.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#3    notforgotten

notforgotten

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

• The educated lie can be the most deceiving...gullible people believe them without question.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

May God help us. :yes:

#4    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

What a bunch of idiots...

Churches don't 'own' Sunday mornings ffs, if it bothers that idiot so much then...oh I don't know, stay away from a church and do something else with your Sunday morning.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#5    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 11 February 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

• To spread the belief that there is no God in a similar mannor most Churches do
To me, it takes atheism one more glorious step toward becoming a religion in and of itself, therefore abolishing the entire intent behind the original message of their belief. Not only that, but they become demeaning toward other believers in God, by creating a sort of 'church parody' hosted by a comedian.

It's honestly not very far off from LaVeyan Satanism. Which is certainly classified as a religion.

Essentially my question is, if these atheists hate the idea of religion so much, then why have they built their own?

Religion requires a supreme being or force to worship or operate around but I can see what you mean.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#6    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

--Well they're going to have to pass the plate to pay for the electric, gas, building, plumbing etc...
--Some leader will end up getting a paycheck...
--They will need to recruit more members to pay the bills...which will involve denigrading the competition and preaching how "right" they are
--They must set up committees to tackle the nuts and bolts and activities...
--Dissention will occur and the church will split...
--There will eventually be rumors of abuse, control, greed...they are still human...
--They will organize rallies and lobbying to stop Christmas/Easter celebrations and traditions due to them being offensive

Hmmm...

It all sounds familiar to me but I can't place it right now...

So, their point is...If you can't beat 'em join 'em?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 11 February 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

I agree AC, it seems close to creating the image of a religion and I don't understand the need.  What little I know of atheists I've learned from those here at UM.  Some have been respectful of my beliefs, some ridicule at every opportunity and either way is fine though I'm sure I prefer respect to derision.  Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

View Postand then, on 11 February 2013 - 01:56 AM, said:

I agree AC, it seems close to creating the image of a religion and I don't understand the need.  What little I know of atheists I've learned from those here at UM.  Some have been respectful of my beliefs, some ridicule at every opportunity and either way is fine though I'm sure I prefer respect to derision.  Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

Well, atheism in my opinion has always been kind of the 'platipus' of religion. It both is and it's not. But this has just taken a step toward it being more that of a religion, which is I'm sure not the original intent of most atheists.

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#9    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.

Not all atheists are the same, most atheists will think almost the same thing as you guys do about these guys, there is something not right with them.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

#10    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Many have stressed, even argued strongly, that atheism is NOT a religion and I can see their point but THIS display puts a hole in that argument I think.
I'm an atheist and this idiotic 'atheist church' doesn't put any dent in my claim that atheism is not a religion.

The fact that some silly misguided atheists have a church doesn't make it a religion in any sort of general sense.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#11    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 11 February 2013 - 12:41 AM, said:

If Christians love God so much why do they ditch Mass on Sunday to watch the Super Bowl?

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#12    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 11 February 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

--Well they're going to have to pass the plate to pay for the electric, gas, building, plumbing etc...
--Some leader will end up getting a paycheck...
--They will need to recruit more members to pay the bills...which will involve denigrading the competition and preaching how "right" they are
--They must set up committees to tackle the nuts and bolts and activities...
--Dissention will occur and the church will split...
--There will eventually be rumors of abuse, control, greed...they are still human...
--They will organize rallies and lobbying to stop Christmas/Easter celebrations and traditions due to them being offensive

Hmmm...

It all sounds familiar to me but I can't place it right now...

So, their point is...If you can't beat 'em join 'em?

Why are you referring to 'They' all the time?

Do you think that one room full of idiots represent the entire mass of non-believers? This thread will now doubt degenerate into an US and THEM war, fanned by a bunch of immature ****s who like to banner everyone not on 'their side' into the same group.

#13    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 11 February 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

If Christians love God so much why do they ditch Mass on Sunday to watch the Super Bowl?

I don't know 'bout the super bowl, but I ditch mass cuz I ain't Catholic!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

Sounds to me like these atheists find the community aspect of church appealing, but not the religious part.

#15    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

I am an atheist but unlike some ideas do not opposed religion. I enjoy the traditions. I am not offended by religious symbols. I find activist atheist who want to remove monuments and practices hypocritical. These are the religious atheist that will give a sermon that would put a Pentacostal preacher to shame. Atheism should not equal hatred of other religions. One more thing. Where are the atheist charities?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users