Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is there an 'evil spot' in the brain ?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostHasina, on 11 February 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

I wonder what would happen if we jabbed that area with a big ol'needle?

Thinking here that the evil spot is worse than the God spot, but that's just me.

Edited by WoIverine, 11 February 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#17    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostGodiva58, on 11 February 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Shades of A Clockwork Orange...

Own the movie and the book.If any are malcolm mcdowell fans he plays another good whacko in Gangster No.1 almost a british scarface mixed with american psycho

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#18    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Postpaperdyer, on 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Since no one has gone here yet:

"What evil lurks in hte hearts of men?  The Shadow knows! Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha"
Misspellings are what lurk in the hearts of men. :P

Posted Image

~MEH~

#19    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 11 February 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

Thinking here that the evil spot is worse than the God spot, but that's just me.
I doubt there's one 'spot' for 'evil' and 'god'. We're the sum of our parts, not itemized parts of 'good' and 'bad' jammed together into a fleshy body. Well, okay, we kinda are, but these 'good' and 'evil' things? Why, they're just chemical reactions in the body due to stimuli, if you want to give these actions any more worthy meaning like a morally good action or an evil one, be my guest, but I don't think we'll ever get rid of our 'evil' to lazily languish in the 'good'.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#20    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,376 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

When thinking of good vs bad i think bruce lee said it best "The perfect way is only difficult for those who pick and choose.Do not like do not dislike;all will then be clear.Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart;if you want the truth to stand clear before you,never be for or against.The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease"

This is how i see it anyways.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#21    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

Attached File  Homers+Brain.gif   45.8K   1 downloadsAttached File  Homers+Brain.gif   45.8K   1 downloads

View PostHasina, on 11 February 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Seems less an 'evil' spot (heck even in the article they say they're not sure they found 'the only one') and more a spot of 'apathy and violence'.

'Roth, a professor at the University of Bremen, told Germany news site Bild.de that he had shown short films to criminals and measured their brain activity. A small section at the front of their brains showed no reaction to violent scenes; it remained "dark" when shown dark scenes.

But Constantine agreed with Galetta: Complex topics and behaviors are likely linked to other areas of the brain, rather than concentrated in one “evil area.”'

I think people can become desensitized to screen violence.  Measuring braing activity while watching violence on screen is probably not that great of an indicator since a lot of people now days actively participate in very realistic violence in video games and violent movies are grosser than ever... under the guise of horror (that's not horror, that's just gore).

Anyway, need a better test.

Edited by Lava_Lady, 12 February 2013 - 03:27 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#22    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,376 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 12 February 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

Attachment Homers+Brain.gifAttachment Homers+Brain.gif

I think people can become desensitized to screen violence.  Measuring braing activity while watching violence on screen is probably not that great of an indicator since a lot of people now days actively participate in very realistic violence in video games and violent movies are grosser than ever... under the guise of horror (that's not horror, that's just gore).

Anyway, need a better test.

Agreed lava but i think any testing for violence is almost pointless.I train and teach getting punched,kneed,elbowed,kicked,picked up and slammed on a daily basis yet most people who actually know me say im one of the nicest,laid back,calm people they know.When i watch horror movies i dont just start armbaring,punching and whatever else to people in the same room haha.Think violence these days has more to do with how people are raised,but that's just my opinion.

#23    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Brain Area 'Where Evil Lurks' Doesn't Exist: Neurologist

Evil is alive and is lurking in the brains of certain individuals, if you believe news reports linked to a respected German neurologist. The news of the scientist's discovery, however, has attracted some naysayers — including the neurologist himself.

http://www.livescien...-area-evil.html

Posted Image

~MEH~

#24    95-Nasty

95-Nasty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• Mom and daddy said "the life that you've led
    You'll party you're way straight to hell"

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Isnt that just instinct? 'Mans' will to survive as it is in the animal kingdom! As we advance/ evolve we become can so say become 'evil'! But surly its just evolution and man advances in science etc?

#25    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Eh. I think this is a broad generalization because everybodys brain is different, thats why we have Einsteins and George Bushes, there both thinking on two different levels.  If this is correct it would mean that everybody is essesntially the same, which I dont believe. Now there may be dark spots in the brain that contribute to evil behavior and what not but I dont think all the evil that a person does can be contributed to one spot in  the brain.  

Also I can eat a full meal while Im watching zombies rip someones flesh from the bones, or leatherface sticking a chainsaw through someone.  That doesnt make me want to go and eat people or kill them with chainsaws.  :w00t:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#26    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

I am as God made me.

Now there's a defense I could get use to.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#27    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostHasina, on 12 February 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Brain Area 'Where Evil Lurks' Doesn't Exist: Neurologist

Evil is alive and is lurking in the brains of certain individuals, if you believe news reports linked to a respected German neurologist. The news of the scientist's discovery, however, has attracted some naysayers — including the neurologist himself.

http://www.livescien...-area-evil.html

Ahhhh! Now that really hit the spot.

:tu:

#28    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• 1,637 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

Is this newly discovered area anywhere in the vicinity of Nuremberg?

#29    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 February 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Just for a second assume this is all true and checks out. It will mean we can test babies to see whether they will become criminals or not.  Nothing we can do about it, of course, except know in advance.  Now what?

That sounds like it'd be a slippery slope...imprisoning kids as soon as they're born for things they haven't done yet but because they have the "evil gene"... or God forbid worse, using it as grounds for abortion...

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users