Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is the ozone layer on the road to recovery?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

(Phys.org)—Satellites show that the recent ozone hole over Antarctica was the smallest seen in the past decade. Long-term observations also reveal that Earth's ozone has been strengthening following international agreements to protect this vital layer of the atmosphere.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news...covery.html#jCp

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,558 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

well, don't expect it to be what it was in the 50s until 2080-2090. 20 years of inconsiderate Freon use seemingly caused a damage that will need 100 years to cure.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,108 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

well, don't expect it to be what it was in the 50s until 2080-2090. 20 years of inconsiderate Freon use seemingly caused a damage that will need 100 years to cure.

Well that at least gives the world's politicians time to find other ways of getting taxes out of us!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    bluewalshy

bluewalshy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

I can't really see how this is true.. the advancement in our technology, vehicles, and factories which pollute the air everyday has only gotten worse. I also don't think we have taken the necessary steps to stop a lot of this pollution which has not given our ozone time to repair.

#5    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

View Postbluewalshy, on 18 February 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

I can't really see how this is true.. the advancement in our technology, vehicles, and factories which pollute the air everyday has only gotten worse. I also don't think we have taken the necessary steps to stop a lot of this pollution which has not given our ozone time to repair.

Well we've been phasing out Chlorofluorocarbons (aka Freon) since 1989, so things should be improving.

#6    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,901 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

View Postealdwita, on 11 February 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

Well that at least gives the world's politicians time to find other ways of getting taxes out of us!
CFCs were brought under control by simply banning their production.  Taxes were not involved.

There are a few CFC-related chemicals still in use that have deleterious effects on the ozone layer.  They should also be banned.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users