Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saru

Archosaurus

I am looking for information on the saru, a hadrosaur-like cryptid reported from Papa New Guinea. Multiple Google searches have turned up nothing but an unrelated thread on this message board, where I decided to sign up so I could ask about the saru here since this seems to be a well-versed cryptozoology community. Does anyone here have any information or resources available on the saru? Thanks in advance!

-Rick Charles

• Like 4

The Saru is a very elusive creature. It is very seldom seen, however you should not make the mistaken assumption that the Saru does not exist.

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 8

His username must have been what directed me to this message board when I was Googling the saru. LOL!

Edited by Archosaurus
  • Like 3

I have to admit I lol'd

Btw...welcome to Unexplained Mysteries Rick

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 1

Well, it's nice to know that our UM Administrator is a " hadrosaur-like cryptid " :w00t:

• Like 6

Btw...welcome to Unexplained Mysteries Rick

Thank you DotNM!

Well, it's nice to know that our UM Administrator is a " hadrosaur-like cryptid " :w00t:

On a serious note, if the administrator here is named after the cryptid I'm looking for information on then maybe he'll know something about it.

Edited by Archosaurus

I know that there are reports (believable or otherwise) of iguanodons being seen in Papua New Guinea. It is not a hadrosaur, but it is bipedal at least and around the right size.

There was a Destination Truth episode on the New Guinea Iguanodon.

http://destinationtruth.wikia.com/wiki/Iguanodon

http://cryptidsaurian.blogspot.com/2011/07/papua-new-guinea-iguanodontian.html

Apparently it is also known as the Murry Lake Monster, or just Murry.

I have heard about it, I have a vague memory of posting about it in this section some time ago when I was a more regular contributor, but I do not pop into Crypto much these days. Not much out there, but I thought an expedition had claimed to have seen two of them a nest and some footprints, yet not so much as a plaster cast if I am correct.

This link has just about every known claimant to date in it:

Papua New Guinea (P.N.G.), a real crypto-hot-spot, has produced sightings, from natives and visitors alike. Sightings include sauropods,g&6 hadrosaurs,h,6,&10 and, of course, rhamphorincus pterodactyls.i&12 Dr. Carl Baugh has permits from the P.N.G. government to capture four live pterodactyls and export them back to the U.S. for study.11 He will go as soon as God supplies funding.

LINK

But PNG is a lot more famous for it Pterosaur claims. Job Whitcomb has been chasing them and gathering details for a very long time now. Seems like he believes in his pursuit, stuck up so and so though. Never bothered to visit us!

Just quietly, I can't see it being genuine.

Yeah, when I first saw it I thought, "Dude, you got a creature named after you? WTF, how you do that?"

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

On a serious note, if the administrator here is named after the cryptid I'm looking for information on then maybe he'll know something about it.

Possibly not. Saru was actually originally named SaRuMaN, after Saruman the White (Lord of the Rings). Everybody simply referred to him as "Saru" and so he eventually changed his name.

I have to admit, I also lol'd when I read this thread. Thanks for brightening the day. Welcome to UM, I hope you enjoy it around here, it really is a pretty good place to spend some free time :tu:

~ Regards, PA

• Like 1

Yeah, when I first saw it I thought, "Dude, you got a creature named after you? WTF, how you do that?"

Welcome to the forum!

What!! You've never heard of the Keninsc?? I think it is a saber toothed, short legged deer with porcupine quills that lives in the highland forests of Canada's Yukon territory. Also known as a Poké Deer. Frightful to behold.

What!! You've never heard of the Keninsc?? I think it is a saber toothed, short legged deer with porcupine quills that lives in the highland forests of Canada's Yukon territory. Also known as a Poké Deer. Frightful to behold.

Poke' Deer? OMG! Oh, that's one bad a$$ deer.........I think the porcupine quills was a nice touch.

:tu:

I am looking for information on the saru, a hadrosaur-like cryptid reported from Papa New Guinea. Multiple Google searches have turned up nothing but an unrelated thread on this message board, where I decided to sign up so I could ask about the saru here since this seems to be a well-versed cryptozoology community. Does anyone here have any information or resources available on the saru? Thanks in advance!

-Rick Charles

Hi Rick,

Maybe you were looking in the wrong direction?

Then there is the South American "Iguanodon" of Heuvelmans:

Saru

Max Height: 9.8 ft (3 metres) [9 ft?]

Max Length: 33 ft (10 metres) [24 ft? As per reports]

Max Weight: 3.5 tons (3.0 metric tonnes)

Diet: Herbivore

Agressiveness: 4

Rarity: Medium

Background Info: The Saru is an bizarre herbivorous dinosaur of which has been subject to an extreme amount of evolutionary adaptability. Surprisingly descended from a sauropod, like the Mokele-Mbembe... This adaptation seems to have occurred in order for the animal to fill the ecological niche of the Iguanodonts and Hardrosaurus which are surprisingly absent ....

Behaviour: A herbivore often seen browsing on mid-height vegetation. The Saru can be aggressive if attacked and can kill small predators but prefers to flee in most circumstances.

It is terrestrial but can swim if need be. It moves very slowly, balancing with its long tail.

http://frontiersofzoology.blogspot.nl/2012/03/more-on-us-neodinosaurs.html

This looks more like some sort of fantasy or a game than an actual cryptid.

• Like 2

Hi,

I've found a sketch of it under the name of "Geelong Bunyip":

4723bunyiplarge.jpg

An indigenous Australian drew it in 1845 after some strange bone was unearthed. Looks like an oddity among crocodilians.

Lol. Funny thread.

Hi Rick,

Maybe you were looking in the wrong direction?

Then there is the South American "Iguanodon" of Heuvelmans:

Saru

Max Height: 9.8 ft (3 metres) [9 ft?]

Max Length: 33 ft (10 metres) [24 ft? As per reports]

Max Weight: 3.5 tons (3.0 metric tonnes)

Diet: Herbivore

Agressiveness: 4

Rarity: Medium

Background Info: The Saru is an bizarre herbivorous dinosaur of which has been subject to an extreme amount of evolutionary adaptability. Surprisingly descended from a sauropod, like the Mokele-Mbembe... This adaptation seems to have occurred in order for the animal to fill the ecological niche of the Iguanodonts and Hardrosaurus which are surprisingly absent ....

Behaviour: A herbivore often seen browsing on mid-height vegetation. The Saru can be aggressive if attacked and can kill small predators but prefers to flee in most circumstances.

It is terrestrial but can swim if need be. It moves very slowly, balancing with its long tail.

http://frontiersofzo...odinosaurs.html

This looks more like some sort of fantasy or a game than an actual cryptid.

This looks like it's from a role-play game because it is. I should have clarified earlier, but the reason I'm asking about the saru is actually because I'm working on a speculative evolution science-fiction project, adopted from an acquaintance of mine's project where that saru profile you quoted is from. The original project developer is Tom Parker, who as I just mentioned is a good acquaintance of mine. He created that profile for a free forum role-play game he set up based on his project (here is the original website). That Frontiers of Zoology website where you got that profile from doesn't have anything to do with the role-play game or Tom Parker's project, and actually I don't know if they even have permission to use any of those profiles or pictures. Tom Parker shelved his project and abandoned the role-play game some time ago, and I recently inquired about adopting it as my own and was granted permission. So technically those profiles and pictures on that website are my ownership now, which I thank you Abramelin for inadvertantly bringing to my attention; I'll need to deal with their copyright infringement when I have time.

In Tom Parker's (and now my) project, the saru is a derived sauropod evolved to fill the ecological niche of a hadrosaur. I'm inquiring about the saru here to hopefully get some background information on it.

This is a coincidence if there ever was any!

Edited by Archosaurus
  • Like 3

I am a fkg genius !

:w00t:

And crazy, but nobody notices.

Naaaw, we notice it, we just accept it and over look it.

I am a fkg genius !

Was there doubt????

To get that from this:

a hadrosaur-like cryptid reported from Papa New Guinea

is doing bloody well!

And crazy, but nobody notices.

I think that is just lost in the crowd..................

Edited by psyche101

tis only fitting the administrator of unexplained and paranormal site is an extinct cryptid :D

can't wait to see what the rest of the staff true idenity

sorry i find this bit funny .. no offense

tis only fitting the administrator of unexplained and paranormal site is an extinct cryptid :D

sorry i find this bit funny .. no offense

I think that all of us that read this find it funny, no need to be sorry LOL

Well, the Daughter of the Nine Moons is the heiress to a mighty Empire. Her people were originally the descendants of one of the greatest military generals of all time, and that lineage ended up controlling an entire continent within the Wheel Of Time.

The Paranoid Android (me) is a chronically depressed robot named Marvin, with a brain the size of a planet. He (I) was programmed with a "Genuine People Personality" but for some reason do not appreciate such a programming.

I can't speak for the rest of the Moderating team (Kismet may have something to say about Fate) but that covers the "true identity" of at least two other staff members :P

• Like 3