Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

What Are Dogs Saying When They Bark?

dogs barking wolves foxes

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 19 February 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

before my friend to the left passed away  he was able to say one english word   That word was hello.  it wasn't a perfect hello most of the time  but he had the two syllables correct and usually sounded like scooby doo, a couple times however it was so perfect that we  actually looked around to make sure that no one else was in the room.  but on the rare occation he demanded to be understood,  he was understood.  Sometimes i wondered if he was  psionic ( psychic ) as most of the time he would just look at someone and they knew what he wanted. He rarely spoke except when someone came home  or came to visit.  I still miss him.

That’s a lovely post. My dog is by far my best friend and about 5 years ago he went out into the back garden in the morning to pee and when he returned, he had a slight limp on his rear left leg, I didn’t think much about it until about an hour when I asked if he wanted to go out for a walk and he couldn’t move his leg at all. He lost all movement in his leg and couldn’t wag his tail.

It was 2 weeks before Christmas and we thought we were going to have to put him down, after a few trips to the vets, he quickly established that Buster had somehow severed some tendons, nerves etc and medication (steroid based) would help, re heal/re-join the damage and he would regain the use of his leg again.

We could only hazard a guess on how he damaged his leg, I think the most logic explanation was he slipped on the icy steps either going down or coming up from our raised patio to the putting green.

Buster sleeps on the floor in his bed next to me in our bedroom and so we decided I would sleep on the couch until he was back to full health, the last thing we wanted was for him to damage his leg even more or even worse damage the good one, while trying to get up the stairs to go to bed, following me. Three months I slept on the couch, through Xmas and New year until he was back to his old self. He always actually had a slight limp on that leg and now all these years on, his back legs are completely not working. A combination of his age and the nerve damage, he can’t use them.

I bought him a doggy wheelchair last November but he doesn’t use that so much now, he is in no pain and moves around the house pulling his back legs behind him, he still plays and has a good appetite and until I see him in pain or depressed, he will remain part of the family.

Posted Image

I work from home, so we spend every minute together, he doesn’t really need to talk to me, I know what he wants when he is looking at me. He goes crazy when I am on my way home in the car, my family know I am 2/3 minutes away when he gets all excited. We stopped going abroad as a family so Buster could holiday with us and we never had to place him in kennels. We even purchased another larger car to cater for him.

Mysticwerwolf, I feel for your loss and dread the time I am in the same situation, I know that time is soon and even thinking about it makes me tearful.

Posted Image

#47    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

we never figured out what caused the seizures but magee passed in the middle of a siezure on the vets table on the 5th of november last year.  in was the sixth seizure in six hours.... the last thing he said when my sister and i walked into the room at the vet hospital  ER  was "hello"  and the vets says   "he just said hello ?!", then magee went into that final  siezure that he didn't live through. we tried to teach him the word and somehow he realized that this was a greeting and tried for several years to get his lips around that word. most of the time it was, as mentioned earlier,  like scooby do talking,  but occationally it was as clear as anything i could say.
    give buster every chance you can, as long as/if he seems happy and pain free.....

#48    gentai

gentai

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

• life is evolution. love is acceptance. god is consciousness.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

mysticwerewolf, i am sorry for your loss.
  once, i said to my friends dog who was staring at me, "what do you want? what are you trying to say? i dont understand. say it in english". i repeated some of these words to him over and over as if to make him feel that he could do it and to give him confidence. the dog in front of his owners began trying to speak to me. he sounded desperate with excitement but it was such a struggle for him that it was both funny and sad and amazing all at the same time. of course it was total doggy sound gibberish but he tried sooo hard.

#49    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

I am firmly convinced that while not quite as intelligent as humans  Dogs and cats are intelligent.  and who knows maybe in their own way they are as intelligent   they may not be able to speakor do math or quantumn physics  but they learn that specific words mean specific things  they can find hidden drugs and  explosives and they can detect sickness without complicated medical tests(i hear storys occationally where the dog somehow dialed emergency for a real emergency)  and they guard and protect others, they guide the blind  and or the deaf  ( the  video i saw a few weeks ago of one dog pulling another injured dog out of traffic was  moving) and the list goes on.  and they get just as frustrated in not being understood by us as we sometimes do when they don't seem to understand us.
  I will miss Mr MaGee for a long time

Also tagged with dogs, barking, wolves, foxes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users