Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

How many Roman Catholics are in the world?

roman catholics world

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 13 February 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I must say, this topic seems to have touched a bit of a nerve with you.

Westboro "Baptist" church, anyone? The Puritans and their witch hunts?
(The Dark Ages? I think actually it was only the Church that kept any kind of learning and literacy going after the collapse of the Roman empire.)
The Westboro Baptist Church has no affiliation with the Baptist Church in America.  It just happens to have a similar name.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#17    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,127 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 14 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

The Westboro Baptist Church has no affiliation with the Baptist Church in America.  It just happens to have a similar name.
Maybe that's one of the shortcomings of Protestantism; that it's such a wide ranging umbrella heading that anyone who wants to can call themselves whatever they like, and there's no one to police the use of whatever names they use. I'm sure that proper Baptist churches are extremely annoyed with Phelp's (and similar nuts') use of the name. But to the world at large, they see the word 'Baptist'. Maybe that's where the Catholic church has an advantage, in that they're able to keep control on charlatans trading under the name.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users