Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Eight Virtues

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Greetings forum, it is my belief that there are Eight Virtues that can help humanity reach the next level in it's development, I would like some feedback through, so here they are eight virtues which  can help humanity evolve. Simplicity. Lucidity. Integrity. Validity. Purity. Felicity. Eternity. Levity

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,301 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

What does this next level consist of?

#3    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 13 February 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Theres a bonus level before the next  ;)
kidding i respect living to the virtues but i believe change starts with my self. when i can change my self, i will be able to help other if they want it

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#4    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

Which set of Eight Virtues? As there are several renditions of such. Where has your rendition of Eight Virtues come from?  There are virtues akin to the ones the OP has mentioned in the Bushido, for example.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Asadora, 14 February 2013 - 12:14 AM.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Unfortunately I don't possess any of those virtues.

#6    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 13 February 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Nobody really knows but I believe that it will be something so far above modern man that it would resemble the jump from apes to hominids

#7    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostAsadora, on 14 February 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

Which set of Eight Virtues? As there are several renditions of such. Where has your rendition of Eight Virtues come from?  There are virtues akin to the ones the OP has mentioned in the Bushido, for example.

Kind Regards.
These are eight virtues that I believe will inspire humanity to reach the next level of it's development, as far as any similarity to bushido  I can't say as I have never studied bushido

#8    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• 1,413 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Simplicity

I don't think this will help humans evolve. Simplicity is the STARTING point. Complexity is the EXTENSION of the simple, so going back to simplicity would be going backwards...

Although, I do believe that things should not be unnecessarily complex. Make the complex as simple as possible, but don't give UP complexity for absolute simplicity or human development will stale...

Lucidity

Sometimes, it is the unclearness that allows for beautiful expression in life.

A phrase like "God is love" can mean so many different things to different people depending on how they define the words. The simplicity allows the individual to make more personal and abstract (and almost spiritual) meanings.

Integrity.

Definitely. Integrity is honesty. Honesty is simple compared to memorizing the lies told to others. Honesty is also more natural. You are just being yourself existing. We need more people with honesty who isn't afraid to break meaning social constructs.

Purity I would have to disagree because purity can mean many different things. It is subjective and depending on your philosophical/religious/spiritual views, purity may mean one thing for a person and opposite for another.

For  example, for some, Purity is naturalness , so sex would be pure, for others it is a impure concept.

"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." - Luke 6:35

#9    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Somewhat related, Ghandi offered 7 blunders:

Wealth without work

Pleasure without conscience

Knowledge without character

Commerce without morality

Science without humanity

Worship without sacrifice

Politicians without principle

Rights without responsibilities

#10    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

How does Eternity operate as a virtue?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#11    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

The problem with purity as a virtue is that it imposes a standard to be met.  Human ego can not deal with this without resorting to judgement, callousness, control, and abuse. Striving for perfection is not considered a harmonious thing , imo. It is single minded and self serving.

Some really shocking horrendous things and events have resulted in our human history as a result of one trying to achieve purity or impose their standard on other people. Hitler for example on a societal scale, and I'm sure we all know someone in our personal lives who causes disharmony by their very intolerances.

Simplicity and integrity are actually good ones to abide by or strive for anyone, but i would add compassion and empathy as well, for integrity without compassion or empathy can again risk becoming abusive and judgemental because of ego. How many times have you heard a person proclaim that they are brutally honest and proud of it, but have little compassion or empathy for how they deliever their honesty? Just because a person prouds them self on saying exactly what they think without being 2 faced, does not equate them to be wise, or a bearer of the truth.

Empathy and compassion are two traits that allow higher thinking and reasoning to come into effect, above and beyond the self serving ego, and so on this level, humanity would be better equipped to excersie all the other virtues without potential for abuse.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy, 15 February 2013 - 10:08 PM.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostbLu3 de 3n3rgy, on 15 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

The problem with purity as a virtue is that it imposes a standard to be met.  Human ego can not deal with this without resorting to judgement, callousness, control, and abuse. Striving for perfection is not considered a harmonious thing , imo. It is single minded and self serving.

Some really shocking horrendous things and events have resulted in our human history as a result of one trying to achieve purity or impose their standard on other people. Hitler for example on a societal scale, and I'm sure we all know someone in our personal lives who causes disharmony by their very intolerances.

Simplicity and integrity are actually good ones to abide by or strive for anyone, but i would add compassion and empathy as well, for integrity without compassion or empathy can again risk becoming abusive and judgemental because of ego. How many times have you heard a person proclaim that they are brutally honest and proud of it, but have little compassion or empathy for how they deliever their honesty? Just because a person prouds them self on saying exactly what they think without being 2 faced, does not equate them to be wise, or a bearer of the truth.

Empathy and compassion are two traits that allow higher thinking and reasoning to come into effect, above and beyond the self serving ego, and so on this level, humanity would be better equipped to excersie all the other virtues without potential for abuse.
Beautifully said, the best indication of virtue is in how we treat others and respect their existential positions in life without imposing our biases as judgements but rather our compassion and empathy. Also there is the great virtue of humility to understand we are no better, our ego has it's self serving agenda which could lead us into any strife just as others suffer especially if we fail to comprehend that we all share the same problems.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Very nice sentiments.

I was always taught that these were the virtues we should express...

Humility, charity, kindness, patience, chastity, temperance, and diligence.

I have kids so...I guess I failed the fifth one

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#14    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 15 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

How does Eternity operate as a virtue?
Eternity is a virtue in that a person should live their lives with a mind focused on living forever. Regardless if there is or is not an afterlife people should live their lives as if they were immortals. In other words everything should be done with thought of the future in mind, and not just the world's future but your own personal future so that you live with some degree of seriousness at all times, it is intended to balence out the virtue of levity

#15    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostbLu3 de 3n3rgy, on 15 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Purity is a good virtue but it must be understood properly. To say one is pure means that you are unpolluted by the thoughts and opinions of others, you are a free thinker that refuses to allow the world to overcome your will. As for compassion I did not include it because it is a trait that humanity already has in spades. My list focuses on the things thata in my opinion humanity lacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users