Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eight Virtues

Blueogre2

Greetings forum, it is my belief that there are Eight Virtues that can help humanity reach the next level in it's development, I would like some feedback through, so here they are eight virtues which can help humanity evolve. Simplicity. Lucidity. Integrity. Validity. Purity. Felicity. Eternity. Levity

• Like 1

What does this next level consist of?

Theres a bonus level before the next ;)

kidding i respect living to the virtues but i believe change starts with my self. when i can change my self, i will be able to help other if they want it

• Like 1

Which set of Eight Virtues? As there are several renditions of such. Where has your rendition of Eight Virtues come from? There are virtues akin to the ones the OP has mentioned in the Bushido, for example.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Asadora

Unfortunately I don't possess any of those virtues.

Nobody really knows but I believe that it will be something so far above modern man that it would resemble the jump from apes to hominids

Which set of Eight Virtues? As there are several renditions of such. Where has your rendition of Eight Virtues come from? There are virtues akin to the ones the OP has mentioned in the Bushido, for example.

Kind Regards.

These are eight virtues that I believe will inspire humanity to reach the next level of it's development, as far as any similarity to bushido I can't say as I have never studied bushido

Simplicity

I don't think this will help humans evolve. Simplicity is the STARTING point. Complexity is the EXTENSION of the simple, so going back to simplicity would be going backwards...

Although, I do believe that things should not be unnecessarily complex. Make the complex as simple as possible, but don't give UP complexity for absolute simplicity or human development will stale...

Lucidity

Sometimes, it is the unclearness that allows for beautiful expression in life.

A phrase like "God is love" can mean so many different things to different people depending on how they define the words. The simplicity allows the individual to make more personal and abstract (and almost spiritual) meanings.

Integrity.

Definitely. Integrity is honesty. Honesty is simple compared to memorizing the lies told to others. Honesty is also more natural. You are just being yourself existing. We need more people with honesty who isn't afraid to break meaning social constructs.

Purity I would have to disagree because purity can mean many different things. It is subjective and depending on your philosophical/religious/spiritual views, purity may mean one thing for a person and opposite for another.

For example, for some, Purity is naturalness , so sex would be pure, for others it is a impure concept.

Somewhat related, Ghandi offered 7 blunders:

Wealth without work

Pleasure without conscience

Knowledge without character

Commerce without morality

Science without humanity

Worship without sacrifice

Politicians without principle

Rights without responsibilities

• Like 1

How does Eternity operate as a virtue?

The problem with purity as a virtue is that it imposes a standard to be met. Human ego can not deal with this without resorting to judgement, callousness, control, and abuse. Striving for perfection is not considered a harmonious thing , imo. It is single minded and self serving.

Some really shocking horrendous things and events have resulted in our human history as a result of one trying to achieve purity or impose their standard on other people. Hitler for example on a societal scale, and I'm sure we all know someone in our personal lives who causes disharmony by their very intolerances.

Simplicity and integrity are actually good ones to abide by or strive for anyone, but i would add compassion and empathy as well, for integrity without compassion or empathy can again risk becoming abusive and judgemental because of ego. How many times have you heard a person proclaim that they are brutally honest and proud of it, but have little compassion or empathy for how they deliever their honesty? Just because a person prouds them self on saying exactly what they think without being 2 faced, does not equate them to be wise, or a bearer of the truth.

Empathy and compassion are two traits that allow higher thinking and reasoning to come into effect, above and beyond the self serving ego, and so on this level, humanity would be better equipped to excersie all the other virtues without potential for abuse.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 3

The problem with purity as a virtue is that it imposes a standard to be met. Human ego can not deal with this without resorting to judgement, callousness, control, and abuse. Striving for perfection is not considered a harmonious thing , imo. It is single minded and self serving.

Some really shocking horrendous things and events have resulted in our human history as a result of one trying to achieve purity or impose their standard on other people. Hitler for example on a societal scale, and I'm sure we all know someone in our personal lives who causes disharmony by their very intolerances.

Simplicity and integrity are actually good ones to abide by or strive for anyone, but i would add compassion and empathy as well, for integrity without compassion or empathy can again risk becoming abusive and judgemental because of ego. How many times have you heard a person proclaim that they are brutally honest and proud of it, but have little compassion or empathy for how they deliever their honesty? Just because a person prouds them self on saying exactly what they think without being 2 faced, does not equate them to be wise, or a bearer of the truth.

Empathy and compassion are two traits that allow higher thinking and reasoning to come into effect, above and beyond the self serving ego, and so on this level, humanity would be better equipped to excersie all the other virtues without potential for abuse.

Beautifully said, the best indication of virtue is in how we treat others and respect their existential positions in life without imposing our biases as judgements but rather our compassion and empathy. Also there is the great virtue of humility to understand we are no better, our ego has it's self serving agenda which could lead us into any strife just as others suffer especially if we fail to comprehend that we all share the same problems.

• Like 3

Very nice sentiments.

I was always taught that these were the virtues we should express...

Humility, charity, kindness, patience, chastity, temperance, and diligence.

I have kids so...I guess I failed the fifth one

How does Eternity operate as a virtue?

Eternity is a virtue in that a person should live their lives with a mind focused on living forever. Regardless if there is or is not an afterlife people should live their lives as if they were immortals. In other words everything should be done with thought of the future in mind, and not just the world's future but your own personal future so that you live with some degree of seriousness at all times, it is intended to balence out the virtue of levity

Purity is a good virtue but it must be understood properly. To say one is pure means that you are unpolluted by the thoughts and opinions of others, you are a free thinker that refuses to allow the world to overcome your will. As for compassion I did not include it because it is a trait that humanity already has in spades. My list focuses on the things thata in my opinion humanity lacks

I don't think this will help humans evolve. Simplicity is the STARTING point. Complexity is the EXTENSION of the simple, so going back to simplicity would be going backwards...

Although, I do believe that things should not be unnecessarily complex. Make the complex as simple as possible, but don't give UP complexity for absolute simplicity or human development will stale...

Sometimes, it is the unclearness that allows for beautiful expression in life.

A phrase like "God is love" can mean so many different things to different people depending on how they define the words. The simplicity allows the individual to make more personal and abstract (and almost spiritual) meanings.

Definitely. Integrity is honesty. Honesty is simple compared to memorizing the lies told to others. Honesty is also more natural. You are just being yourself existing. We need more people with honesty who isn't afraid to break meaning social constructs.

Purity I would have to disagree because purity can mean many different things. It is subjective and depending on your philosophical/religious/spiritual views, purity may mean one thing for a person and opposite for another.

For example, for some, Purity is naturalness , so sex would be pure, for others it is a impure concept.

Simplicity is a wonderful virtue, many of the world's problems come from complexity. Furthermore Complex things are as a rule weaker than simple things. For example a bacteria is a relatively simple organism compared to a animal or plant but, bacteria can survive in places that no animal ever could. Ants are much more simple then humans but nevertheless they can organize their society far better than humans. Unclear defintions can be beautiful, that is until confusion over said definitions causes chaos and strife. Lucidity is needed. When I said integrity I meant in the sense of being consistent and solid in one's inner being. Staying true to the path. Purity is needed to remain mentally clean and uninfluenced by the world

I see Eternity as the dream of mortals. Not a virtue in which one can aspire. Eternity can exist around us, within mortal flesh it is a dream and an elusive one at that.

Kind Regards.

Purity is a good virtue but it must be understood properly. To say one is pure means that you are unpolluted by the thoughts and opinions of others, you are a free thinker that refuses to allow the world to overcome your will. As for compassion I did not include it because it is a trait that humanity already has in spades. My list focuses on the things thata in my opinion humanity lacks

It's impossible to be unpolluted by thoughts and opinions of others. The higher in consciousness you go the more you merge and embrace the collective unity of all. Empathy teaches us that no one being owns a single thought or will. Good or bad it is all out there, thoughts and ideas are merely recycled throughout. The act of purity via the ego mindset is about separation, because it seeks to filter out or change what it can't tolerate. Free thinker does not equate a status of purity, Free thinker equates surpassing the ego.

As for compassion, the world greatly needs more of it in super mega doses.

• Like 1

Greetings forum, it is my belief that there are Eight Virtues that can help humanity reach the next level in it's development, I would like some feedback through, so here they are eight virtues which can help humanity evolve. Simplicity. Lucidity. Integrity. Validity. Purity. Felicity. Eternity. Levity

Have I got any of the Eight Virtues that would help me in my next level of development...

Simplicity: I've got that in abundance.

Lucidity: Considering I can't even remember my own dreams then no.

Integrity: I believe I'm a fine,upstanding citizen who dosn't know the meaning of breaking laws.

Validity:Some of my reasoning is a bit flawed.

Purity: How can I be pure when I smoke cigarettes all the time.

Felicity: Happiness is not my default emotion.

Eternity:I'm certainly going to leave an enduring legacy.

Levity: I can't see how this is a virtue if your talking about gallows humour.

I have flunked!

• Like 1

It's impossible to be unpolluted by thoughts and opinions of others. The higher in consciousness you go the more you merge and embrace the collective unity of all. Empathy teaches us that no one being owns a single thought or will. Good or bad it is all out there, thoughts and ideas are merely recycled throughout. The act of purity via the ego mindset is about separation, because it seeks to filter out or change what it can't tolerate. Free thinker does not equate a status of purity, Free thinker equates surpassing the ego.

As for compassion, the world greatly needs more of it in super mega doses.

I disagree. It is a new age idea that suggests that the ultimate goal of life is to unify into one mind. While it may seem good to be one with your surroundings doing so would destroy the spark of individuality that every person has and in order to maintain that separation is needed. Also every person is unique, the thoughts i have are mine and mine alone no one in the history of the world has the exact same thoughts as mine or ever will after I am gone. And it is this way for everyone, we are all unique creatures, it is the drive for unity that causes people to conform and lose some of their originality and that is a tragic loss. Also the ego is not something to be surpassed but rather perfected to the point that one is the ultimate form of whatever it is that you are supposed to be Edited by Blueogre2

I disagree. It is a new age idea that suggests that the ultimate goal of life is to unify into one mind. While it may seem good to be one with your surroundings doing so would destroy the spark of individuality that every person has and in order to maintain that separation is needed. Also every person is unique, the thoughts i have are mine and mine alone no one in the history of the world has the exact same thoughts as mine or ever will after I am gone. And it is this way for everyone, we are all unique creatures, it is the drive for unity that causes people to conform and lose some of their originality and that is a tragic loss. Also the ego is not something to be surpassed but rather perfected to the point that one is the ultimate form of whatever it is that you are supposed to be

Unity in it's true sense doesn't equate losing self identity. It's not about unifying into one mind or being, that is the hive mind agenda /interpretation you are thinking of which is false unity imo.

The unity i am talking about is a recognition that everything has a cause and effect connection, so that nothing is really completely compartmentalised. Cohesion rather than fragmentation.

Surpassing ego doesn't equate losing ego either. It's just a way of saying that there is more than one level of consciousness or 'perspective' to perceiving what we experience. It's not a bad thing to be able to utilise multiple perspective and again can be done so without having to surrender personal identity. The ego level of thinking and being is merely the tip of the ice berg to who anyone truly is. The ego part of us is the 1% of us, the plastic veneer aspect to us that society has constructed us to be. Beyond that is the real true self, and far more self empowered self in personal identity than the ego can ever be.

Anyway, i just wanted to explain how i define these terms from my perspective and why I see purity as encouraging fragmentation rather than cohesion. Thanks for the interesting discussion :)

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 1

I disagree. It is a new age idea that suggests that the ultimate goal of life is to unify into one mind. While it may seem good to be one with your surroundings doing so would destroy the spark of individuality that every person has and in order to maintain that separation is needed. Also every person is unique, the thoughts i have are mine and mine alone no one in the history of the world has the exact same thoughts as mine or ever will after I am gone. And it is this way for everyone, we are all unique creatures, it is the drive for unity that causes people to conform and lose some of their originality and that is a tragic loss. Also the ego is not something to be surpassed but rather perfected to the point that one is the ultimate form of whatever it is that you are supposed to be

Actually I think unity refers to empathy, the recognition that we are equal to one another. We have individuation through the evolution of our thoughts in our lives but we must also recognise that had we lived another's life we could be just as they are, the good, the bad and the ugly in them is dormant in us until we face the same life conditions, this is the unifying factor, we are no better than our brothers and sisters and cannot claim "if it were me, I would have done thus" what we forgive and what we allow our compassion to accept and love inspite of itself is what makes us one with each other. "Love one another as I have loved you".

Edit to add: Your understanding of the mechanical ego is very much what the ego would most wish - an attachment to self, the ego is not you, it dies at the grave - your soul is not your ego, your ego is a material mechanical force that only operates on this plane of existence because it can attach to material things, where such desire is not available to be fulfilled it is unable to function.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

I don't think there is a virtue which, when carried too far or to excess, does not in turn become a vice. Take, for example, honesty -- now there is a nice clean virtue, but is it a virtue when the truth puts people's lives in danger? Indeed, is it even a virtue when the truth cause someone emotional harm without any offsetting good?

One might think then that the only virtue is moderation. However, it too needs to be applied wisely. Moderation with the truth is a good idea most of the time, but not always. There are times when nothing but the truth is acceptable. And what about "moderation" in one's consumption of arsenic?

Perhaps compassion ranks highest in my list of virtues where it is hard to do it in excess -- but, of course, an excess of compassion can lead to dependence and to a sense of entitlement that does the recipient in the end more harm than good.