Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Most Religious US State Is ...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31    ohio_traveler

ohio_traveler

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 14 February 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Mississippi, Tennessee, Liousiana, Arkansas, and Alabama are in the top 10 most uneducated states in America.  Coinicidence?  I don't know.

While you might see uneducated.  I tend to see rural poor.  In many areas, the local church is what helps hold rural poor communities together.  It gives them strength and something to believe in.

#32    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 22 February 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Did you call Michigan a city?
He actually said 'Michigan with 2 of the most violent poverty ridden cities...'

Posted Image

~MEH~

#33    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 22 February 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Did you call Michigan a city?  Point proven. Thank you.  Also, there is no apostrophy in "rednecks".  Get on my level.

Um, Crimson said "Michigan with 2 of the most violent poverty ridden cities in the whole world inside it's borders". He didn't call Michigan a city.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#34    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

My question is this, where does this view of religious people as 'uneducated' come from? And I have this sneeking suspicion that when people say that they mean 'Christians are uneducated', using a blanket term to really just insult one group.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#35    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Fudge

• 6,687 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostHasina, on 22 February 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

My question is this, where does this view of religious people as 'uneducated' come from? And I have this sneeking suspicion that when people say that they mean 'Christians are uneducated', using a blanket term to really just insult one group.

just peoples need to put down religion and religious people in any way possible.

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die liberty will never perish... Soldiers don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you, enslave you, who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think or what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder... Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts.  You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts.

#36    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Being a non-native speaker I use to have a note on my profile encouraging people to correct my mistakes so I might learn.  I found that no one ever did -- and it isn't because I don't make them as I find plenty re-reading what I post.  I think it comes from an excess of politeness around here -- this is the most polite board I have participated on; kinda strange when you consider the topics.

Another thing I haven't seen on this board is "[sic]," one of the ruder ways of correcting someone's grammar.

I think it is fine to correct people's mistakes (not just grammatical mistakes but also mistakes of fact), depending on how it is done -- whether it is to be helpful or as a put-down.

#37    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,301 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I am not a religious person,but i know several who are and they are quite intelligent.It is starting to get a bit annoying when i log on and reply back to something that has been said about me and my retort is deleted very swiftly while what has been said to me sticks around for awhile!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#38    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

edited

Edited by CRYSiiSx2, 22 February 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#39    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I dont take that poll of intelligence by State seriously. Washington DC was not #1.

Edited by AsteroidX, 22 February 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#40    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,301 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 February 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Being a non-native speaker I use to have a note on my profile encouraging people to correct my mistakes so I might learn.  I found that no one ever did -- and it isn't because I don't make them as I find plenty re-reading what I post.  I think it comes from an excess of politeness around here -- this is the most polite board I have participated on; kinda strange when you consider the topics.

Another thing I haven't seen on this board is "[sic]," one of the ruder ways of correcting someone's grammar.

I think it is fine to correct people's mistakes (not just grammatical mistakes but also mistakes of fact), depending on how it is done -- whether it is to be helpful or as a put-down.

My spelling is usually very good but my use of commas and apostrophes i admit can be atrocious haha.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#41    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I don't entirely agree. Uneducated doesn't mean stupid. But as a result of poor education the stretch of what is known to individuals is then very pigeonholed as how they grow up (in a religious household) that is what they become. Mainly because they haven't been educated to discover or consider any other possibilities.

A lower rate of religion in a state, at a high level, to me, shows the populace have been educated enough to consider and make their own choices regarding the issue.

#42    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

Hmmm... I'm surprised Hawaii came in on the latter list.  One of our streets made it into the Guinness book of worlds records a the street with the most churches as far as the   US anyway.  And I can hear a Samoan church choir singing about Jesus as I type.  

I noticed that this it's a survey based on Christian religions which is something I think they should have pointed out because religion is organized faith and in Hawaii we have a plethora, from Buddhism to zoroastrianism.  It's really quite interesting.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users