Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream Demon or Ghost

rhoman88

On September 2012, my house burned to the ground. Everything was destroyed and taken from us. About three days after the fire, my mother and sister explained some rather odd things that happened to them before the house burning. Before I explain what they told me, I would like to add that I had been experiencing some rather strange things in the house the first day we moved in and what they told me only made me more curious to find some answers, but I haven't found any on this topic. Your input is greatly appreciated.

The house existed in Athens T.X. Many of you on this website know about the "so-called" Satanic History to the small town, but I never gave it much thought. In truth, I am a little of a skeptic, merely because I have never experienced anything of the paranormal. However, there are places that when I enter (a home, a funeral place, a cemetery) I get these strange dizzy spells combined with a mild fever and a feeling of being suffocated. For a long time, I have been able to sense people standing around me at all times, whether in a crowd or by myself, and these people feel cold and just not human. Since I was a young child, I have had terrifying nightmares of shadows, things chasing me and also have had many "premonitions" throughout my life. All of what I just mentioned have been explained to me that I have a very vivid imagination and there for, that is how I became a skeptic. When I moved into this house, something was telling me that my so-called vivid imagination was going wild.

The first thing that happened to me was the constant feeling someone or something didn't want me there. It felt like a someone was giving me some kind of "evil eye." My sisters agreed with that, in fact, my youngest sister wouldn't stay inside the house alone. There was also this feeling someone was whispering; granted, I never heard a faint whisper, but it felt like someone was trying to whisper to me and I just couldn't hear them. There were parts of the house that I dared not venturing; the master bathroom gave me a vibe that someone was yelling and cursing at me, but I couldn't hear them. If you were in the kitchen area, you had to play either a television or radio because you could hear some sort of breathing the and the room itself remained cold at all times. The story was that the lady of the house died in the kitchen; she had turned the kitchen into a sort of living room for herself. The house was old, built back in the 50's, but that was the date that it was re-built, for reasons I will explain later.

The second thing that happened was that my nightmares were growing worse. Most of them consisted of me drowning in cold water, killing someone in the most horrible circumstance and this mummified woman laying in my bed. Yes, I do watch a great amount of horror movies, but my nightmares were never as bad as these in my old house. My sisters and mother were starting to have bad nightmares too. The eldest sister always dreamed of nothing but darkness, but felt like she was floating in her room. My other sister claimed that she was being taunted by some child. My mother was having nightmares of now past family members trying to talk to her. All of us were having bad dreams, and I was used to having them until I had a dream that caused me to jump out of bed.

I was dreaming about walking throughout the house in the middle of the night. It was so vivid that it felt real, but I felt something heavy on my mind like I was dreaming. I stopped in the middle of the hallway that met the kitchen to the living room and saw this woman like thing standing there. She was dripping wet and had this grey dolphin like skin; three fingers and two toes; her hair was black and was cut just above her shoulders, I remember that much. The thing was her body was naked, but had no breast or genitals. Her face looked human, even her eyes looked human, but it had that dolphin skinned texture to it. She was laughing and huffing like she had been running wild. She was missing some teeth in her mouth. She then started to walk bow legged over to me with her arms curled up like she had no use for them. I couldn't run or move, but I wanted to get so far away from her it wasn't funny. I still remember what her breath smelt like. I get chills talking about it and this is the first time that I told someone outside my family about it. I drew a picture of her to give a good idea about her, but I lost it in the fire. I didn't have another dream about her, but I was scared to sleep for the next few nights.

We didn't hire anyone to investigate the house and we just assumed that it was just some weird thoughts going through our minds. Nothing flew around, and doors didn't slam shut. There wasn't much to go on that it was a haunted house.

Behind the house was, and still is, this old hospital that was burned down years ago. The city hasn't taken care of it and the cops are always surrounding it to keep kids out. Every so often, a black car drives up into the parking lot and stays there for three days. Fire trucks stop there with ambulances here and there and like I mentioned, cops surround the place non-stop. There were always rumors about the place, but this is Athens I am talking about, but there is no history on the place, none that I have found.

Fast forward through seven years of this stuff and we arrive to last September. I was up at Tyler Junior College for the fall semester and got a call from my mother saying the house was burning down! I thought this was a joke, because she was talking about getting me out of class early to hang out, but she started crying and then I knew.

My younger sister was home alone at the time, putting up some fall decorations. One of the decorations was a pumpkin designed glass candle holder that we always put on the coffee table in front of our couch. She lit the candle and walked into the kitchen for something. Within a few seconds, she smelt smoke. When she ran into the living room, the couch was on fire. Now the couch was three feet away from the coffee table and the candle was in the middle of the table. Just like that, the entire living room was up in smoke and flame. We were lucky that the fire trucks came when they did, but with smoke damage, the house was just plain gone. Everyone survived, even the house cat. We got a hotel with the help of Red Cross and stayed there for three days. During those three days, my mom and younger sister mentioned something about a dream they had the night before.

This is my mom's version of her dream: She was watching herself sleep, only it did not look like her. It was some lady with brown hair pinned up in a red dress. She said she saw this skinny grey skinned thing approach the woman. She described it as Golem from the Lord of the Rings movies. It was kinda like a child and was always laughing and seemed to be out of breath. This thing crawled up onto the woman's chest and sat down, pushing all its weight on her. The woman looked to be struggling to breath and my mom was feeling the effects. She said she felt like someone was smothering her with a pillow.

Now this is my sister's version: (It should be noted that my sister and my mom share the same room.) She was laying in her bed and heard this whimpering sound like someone was in pain. In her dream, she woke up and saw this thing on mom; now in her dream, mom looked like she normally did. My sister saw the thing and picked it up and threw it onto the ground. It did the usual laughing and puffing. The thing then looked up at my sister and smiled, it had missing teeth. My sister said she did not feel threatened by the thing, it felt like it was some kind of prankster or something, but nothing dangerous. She then truly woke up when she heard my mother yell in her sleep.

Okay, now that I have written a novel, I must explain that I have researched about grey demons and dolphin women, but nothing turns up. The only thing that I have recently gathered was that the reason why this house was rebuilt in the 50's is because it burned down another time. And, if you go with the myth of Athens Texas, there is underground trails that make a pentagram under the town itself; our house is very close to the center along with the hospital.

I don't know what any of this stuff means and again I am not that skeptical not to have an open mind, but I simply cannot explain this or find any answers to it. If you have either experienced the same experience or have some knowledge in this, your input would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for any supernatural answers, if it is debunked, it is debunked and I can let it go. If it is something else, I'm not sure what to say about that.

• Like 1

Thank God your family is ok. On the subject of strange feelings when entering certain locations and what not, that could be just a random atmospheric change or something maybe even that was ailing you and you had no knowledge of it. The strange vivid dreams though, can be just about anything spontaneous as well. I myself never have dreams. Never ever ever do I which, I find very sucky since my girl and random friends dream up a storm and usually talk about their experiences in these dreams when I for one can not. So maybe its differant from for everyone. The candleon the other hand being 3 feet away from the couch is very beleivable though. I have seen candles spark fires from my own experience and know for a fact that it is possible no matter the factors involved in the matter. Certain wicks might be funny in a way and throw a spark of fire here and there when the flame approaches its end or even in its begining depending on how much liquid wax has built up without being emptied. So you might wanna think about that a little more. The 'evil' or 'satanic' (which you should really change to 'devil') vibes that supposedly have inherited this town is just too much to really go with. Good luck and good health!

• Like 1

I'm glad your family is okay but with all the dreams you whole family is having you have to wonder what is up here. You and your family could be sensitive to spirits.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Just to make sure.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

@Hilander and @JoeyLuisLeel

Thanks for the comments. To be completely honest, I am in-between the natural and unnatural on the theories surrounding most things. I never really gave much thought to the whole devil myths around Athens. My sister believes in them and is always searching for answers to unexplained situations. Like my father, she believes that she can astro-project herself to other places, but does like have control over them yet. My mother is always looking for some sign of God. I, on the other hand, am one those "have to see it or touch it to believe it," but I do keep an open mind about things and don't judge others; if they experienced something strange or spiritual, then that is what they experienced. For me to believe it though, I have to see it.

I have heard two different theories on the premonitions: First, I actually can see events happening before they happen; Second, it is a chemical mix up in the brain that causes me to see what is happening in the present and mistaken it as a dream I had.

@Hilander We didn't have one at the time, or a fire alarm. We thought that we didn't need them because we are very careful with flame. That is the very word "Ironic" isn't it.

@JoeyLuisLeel Thanks for reminder about the satanic use; I hope that I did not offend anyone on this site for making it seem evil. I was merely representing the fears of the "small Bible belt" town I lived in, haha. But I will keep that as a reminder, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I was currently talking to my mother and sisters about posting this topic on the internet and it was brought to my attention that when the couch was on fire, it wasn't the seat of the couch it was the back of the couch. The head rest of the couch was on fire. Now, JoeyLuisLeel did bring to light that glass candle holders can explode under the right conditions, however I have trouble understanding how the head rest of the couch caught on fire from an exploding candle that rested on a coffee table at least two feet away from the couch.

@Hilander: I am sorry, I was mistaken about the detector, we did have one because it went off many times during the holiday season from a gas leak on the gas heater in the kitchen. We did remove the fire sensor after a while because it was busted and kept beeping. We planned on getting another one, but never did.

Another update, and I am not certain if I am just paranoid anymore, but I did see something in the bathroom in our new house. It happened when I was taking a shower and I noticed some movement in the bathroom. Although quick, it was a shadow of some girl. From my memory, the shadow seemed to be young, like a teen girl or something.

Just asking for help here, but I thought about going back to the old house (the burned down one) and conduct an E.V.P possibly. The only information that I have is given from movies and television, so I just have to ask from experienced people that if I were to do such a thing, would I cause a "stir" in the events? Could I bring something back with me to my new home?

Edited by rhoman88

Interesting experience no the less, you and your family may have latent talents that you don’t know about or could even fully accept. I have similar talents I guess but I don’t really know how to use them or really do anything with them. But this post caught my eye because recently I have been having unusual dreams and visions for the most part.

I think at some point I ended up picking up a Yuki-Onna (Lady of the snow) because every time that being come into my dreams she is always accompanied by high winds with snow like a blizzard. Don’t know but that has been my experience. About the gray figyour I don’t know much, is there anything in particular that you might remember, I don’t know if I can help or not. There is a book I have called a field guide to Demons that you might want to look into. Who knows you might find something.

• Like 1

You know sometimes, depending on atmospheric conditions, it is possible to be listening to radio on one frequency, but you get interference from another, ghostly and faint or harsh and intrusive. What then if there are places on Earth were there is a disturbance and two or even more, realities become mixed. This may be, at the less extreme level, perceived as a vague feeling of being watched, or of seeing something not quite right out of corner of your eye. I think many of us experience this to some degree, though I think some people are more sensitive to this "interference" and see more, as you seem to have done. What you describe seems to have gone beyond what may be seen as "normal" strangeness, and indicates a stronger interference between realities. I think you will not bring anything with you to a new home because I think such strong interfernce is connected with a locality. Though as for the more milder aspects, the uneasy feeling etc, then I think that is because you are sensitive to such things and these will probably be always with you. I do not mean to say you are sort of responsible for them or there is no escape, as these lesser aspects are much more widespread that the horror you have suffered, but it is possible to find places were this intereference simply does not exist. Pity there are no maps or detectors for such things......

• Like 1

Thank you to who replied. @Seikage, I haven't looked anything up in a field guide, most of what I did look up was with Google, but that didn't get me anywhere. So, if you have anything that could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

I haven't felt the same sorts around my new house, as I previously mentioned. I'd like to think that it is the energy that my family puts out. Like, one morning I will just get up feeling like something bad is going to happen. My younger sister shares the same thoughts on the matter. Throughout the day, the feeling will not leave me and finally something like a disaster will occur in our home, to our other family members and elsewhere. I am not fully positive, it is only a theory. The energy close ones can conduct while around each other can be great with intuition and that might trigger something in the world around us.

But, again, thank you for your responses.

• Like 1