Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#226    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 17 February 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

I assumed by reading there description off RSOE there was no video. They dont use dashcams like in the Euro. There still fond of there 50's an d 60's classics over there and they dont do well with mounted cameras. So yeah I agree that in no way is what happened yesterday there.

Its actually hardly made the news but the description is of alot of shaking houses and stuff.

Probably a common shooting star type of event that has been dressed up in light of the Russian news story. Lots of things make shanty houses shake. Gusts of wind usually, or just climbing the stairs...

Heck Ive seen dozens of shooting stars,  usually only JUST though...a very quick trail of color/light and they're gone!

Never seen a biggy...

Edited by seeder, 17 February 2013 - 09:58 AM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#227    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

The Guardian news is a trifle better than the Mirror, well a big trifle actually and here's what they say

"It is not clear what the objects spotted were, or indeed if they actually existed. Cuba does not lie far from the shores of southern Florida and a major meteorite streaking through the heavens would likely to have been spotted there. In California, a telescope monitoring the same stretch of sky did not pick up any unusual activity"

Click the link they do have another vid of a meteor in San Francisco

http://www.guardian....cuba-california

But to keep a grip on things, in fairness you can see meteors/shooting stars - whatever you know them by, MOST nights in certain parts of the world, so we can expect a load of new video's and pics popping up from now on.... till the buzz wears off.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#228    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Seems that whenever something like this happens people become sensitized and every little twitch and pop that happens everywhere gets linked to it.

#229    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

seeders found it folks.. the Cuban puff of smoke

and heres the news site with full story. In Cuban spanish

http://www.cubasi.co...o-de-cienfuegos

Edited by seeder, 17 February 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#230    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Ha from the stills it could be anything, hardly a straight line trajectory now was it?

Posted Image

edit for source

http://peru.com/actu...-noticia-121887

Edited by seeder, 17 February 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#231    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postseeder, on 17 February 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Ha from the stills it could be anything, hardly a straight line trajectory now was it?

Posted Image

edit for source

http://peru.com/actu...-noticia-121887

If the thing had been rotating perpendicular to its path, then this is probably how the smoke trail would have looked like.

Edited by Abramelin, 17 February 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#232    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 17 February 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

If the thing had been rotating perpendicular to its path, then this is probably how the smoke trail would have looked like.
The winds are pretty strong at that altitude, the trail wouldn't remain a straight line for long.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 17 February 2013 - 11:41 AM.
typo.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#233    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,170 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 17 February 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

I just don't think it can be rulled out that the rock that  pummeled chelybinsk wasn't a direct result of DA14's close flyby.. *shrugs shoulders* If I'm missing a point I sure hope someone will enlighten me.
2012 DA12 approached from under the South Pole and travelled south to north. It could not, therefore, have impacted in the northern hemisphere. The Russian object was travelling north to south. As the two objects were travelling in the opposite directions they can not possibly have been related. There is no cause and effect here.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#234    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,750 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 17 February 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

2012 DA12 approached from under the South Pole and travelled south to north. It could not, therefore, have impacted in the northern hemisphere. The Russian object was travelling north to south. As the two objects were travelling in the opposite directions they can not possibly have been related. There is no cause and effect here.

waspie where did this asteroid come from? was it from our asteroid belt? or has it travelled from outside of the solar system?

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#235    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 17 February 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

waspie where did this asteroid come from? was it from our asteroid belt? or has it travelled from outside of the solar system?

Who knows, our solar system is filled with rocks that are orbiting around the sun on different trajectories, usually from within our solar system, rather than from interstellar space. Every once in a while, our planets gravity draws them in, and some of them will take us by surprise.

To get a better idea where this meteor came from, scientists will need to find it and analyze it.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#236    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostHazzard, on 17 February 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Who knows, our solar system is filled with rocks that are orbiting around the sun on different trajectories, usually from within our solar system, rather than from interstellar space. Every once in a while, our planets gravity draws them in, and some of them will take us by surprise.

To get a better idea where this meteor came from, scientists will need to find it and analyze it.

They could always start here:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19d8ec95ac

(there are loads of similar items there too, but the authenticity is highly questionable! And why the hell is it listed as NEW when its millions of years old? You could buy that then get ebay to refund you based on misleading description!

#237    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,490 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postseeder, on 17 February 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

(there are loads of similar items there too, but the authenticity is highly questionable! And why the hell is it listed as NEW when its millions of years old? You could buy that then get ebay to refund you based on misleading description!

haha, I did once email someone who was selling a bit of meteorite on ebay as "new", I asked then that exact question, they changed the listing.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#238    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postseeder, on 17 February 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Maybe Chebarkul Lake is a better place to start,... http://rt.com/news/m...helyabinsk-283/

Edited by Hazzard, 17 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#239    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,180 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostHazzard, on 17 February 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Maybe Chebarkul Lake is a better place to start,... http://rt.com/news/m...helyabinsk-283/

As I know little about things like these, do they shatter on impact with the cold lake water, going from red hot to cold?  Im wondering if it will be in many pieces and harder to find..

Or maybe not, I know they search the ice fields for meteorites as they show up better against the snow...

#240    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Here is a link to an Associated Press article on the Cuban meteorite. It sounds much larger than the usual sort of 'fireball' meteor, which aren't especially uncommon. The light is described brighter than the Sun. The pressure waves reportedly shook buildings. If the meteor came in at  a low enough angle, it might not have been seen too far afield. The Russian meteor also appears to have come in at a shallow angle. Link:   http://www.politico....sion-87731.html

Edited by bison, 17 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users