Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#286    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 25 February 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Slightly better than Электрофикация, but still... Imagine Mетеорёнок (Метеор) Полиграфович Челябинский :no:
Fantastic name :D
and when I saw Электрофикация I immediatly though of Приключеня электроника. weird....

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 25 February 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#287    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,242 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

and another...

Massive green 'fireball' blazes across California sky in another too-close-for-comfort meteor shower

http://www.dailymail...eor-shower.html

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#288    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

View Postseeder, on 25 February 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

and another...

Fireballs like this are fairly common and pose no threat to life and limb, the only reason they are being reported world-wide is because of the Russian meteor.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#289    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,101 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 25 February 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Fantastic name :D
and when I saw Электрофикация I immediatly though of Приключеня электроника. weird....
Heh... Brings old memories.

[Back on topic]

To echo Waspie's post, one can estimate how often asteroids (meteoroids) of particular size will collide with Earth

Posted Image

(Figure 3, Nature 420, 294-296 (21 November 2002); for larger than 200 m see Figure 4)

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#290    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,242 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

The biggest fragment so far

http://rt.com/news/m...t-fragment-404/

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#291    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,242 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Russia meteor's origin tracked down

Posted Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21579422

#292    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postseeder, on 26 February 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Russia meteor's origin tracked down

There is a thread on this HERE.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users