Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The race to fingerprint the human voice

Still Waters

Since 9/11, voice scientists have been searching for a way to find a person's unique 'voiceprint'. Accurately identifying you by your voice is more difficult than it sounds, discovers Mark Piesing.

http://www.independe...ce-8493867.html

What about people who are able to impersonate voices? Would the technology be able to determine that somehow in some way?

• Like 1

What about people who are able to impersonate voices? Would the technology be able to determine that somehow in some way?

I once saw a programme years ago that did exactly that reann. it was about a machine that tested vocal resonance, and to test it, they fed it with the voice of mel blanc doing what he did best, voicing cartoon characters. they used bugs bunny, yosemite sam, elmer fudd, foghorn leghorn, amongst others, which all sound completely different to the ear, but to the resonance machine, they were all exactly the same!

wonder why the FBI/CIA/MI5/McDonalds don't just use one of them, and put the money they're spending searching into housing the homeless instead....?

• Like 1

I wonder about the animal kingdom as well. Consider a penguin colony where all the individuals look identical, then also consider that most birds have a very poor sense of smell. So if you discount vision and scent as ways of recognition, then that leaves sound. Possibly through their calls alone, a parent can find its chick in all the chaotic cacophony of several thousand birds calling at once. So does each chick have its own unique voice that is "imprinted" on its parents and how can they filter out all the background noise?

This is also true in colonies of sea lions and seals, however mammals also generally have a better sense of smell, so that may play a greater role than sound in these animals. Still they may use the calls of the pups to get into the general area and then make a positive i.d. with scent.

Iknow my wifes voice when i hear it.

Oh yeah. and sometimes not gentle. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

I once saw a programme years ago that did exactly that reann. it was about a machine that tested vocal resonance, and to test it, they fed it with the voice of mel blanc doing what he did best, voicing cartoon characters. they used bugs bunny, yosemite sam, elmer fudd, foghorn leghorn, amongst others, which all sound completely different to the ear, but to the resonance machine, they were all exactly the same!

wonder why the FBI/CIA/MI5/McDonalds don't just use one of them, and put the money they're spending searching into housing the homeless instead....?

That's interesting to know. I once watched something about a machine , some enormous computer , I think it's located in England somewhere , it creates files for each imdividual voice , globally I think .

^

yeah, by means of telephone conversations the computer which is also referred to or named " the beast " would continually listen in on phone converstations and as it discovers new voices it creates a new personal file for it.

The system is designed to listen in for certain words, and is continuously active. Being that the internet is utilized by means of cable and phone lines , when clinton mentioned to watch what you say because you don't know who is listening, he may have also been referring to that particular system as well as other forms of spying.