Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Use of coincidences as plot development

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

I've noticed that many of my story ideas tend to rely on coincidence too often.  Is any coincidence too much for a reader to accept, or is a single one acceptable?  If George Lucas can get away with it, can we?  (I mean, R2-D2 landing on just the right continent on just the right planet and getting bought by the son of the enemy he escaped?)

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#2    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

It's cheap storytelling if done more than once in a story or series. Also, better not make it too coincidental.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#3    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,925 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostJ. K., on 15 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

I've noticed that many of my story ideas tend to rely on coincidence too often.  Is any coincidence too much for a reader to accept, or is a single one acceptable?  If George Lucas can get away with it, can we?  (I mean, R2-D2 landing on just the right continent on just the right planet and getting bought by the son of the enemy he escaped?)
Just saying, Tatooine has no continents. :P

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,080 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostJ. K., on 15 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

That wasn't coincedence, it was the force re-balancing itself.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,919 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

One or two doesn't hurt things but it needs to lead to a greater purpose, things not being so coincidental, the big deception.  A story based on just coincidences can get boring.

#6    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Naked Judgement

• 1,592 posts

• Ultimately, your experience is the best teacher.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

I do storytelling with coincidences too, but there's more elaborate schemes behind those coincidences, and you know how certain kind of people tend to drift to certain kind of situations... plus if you dont tell every hidden agenda or unsaid things of the situations right away but let them "be there", behind the lines and chapters, they're a bit more than coincidences even if they may seem as ones. So if you got a red string of some kind about how to tie those things together, it's better, but you can also focus the story more around the individual situations, people and such instead of the plot. Just plot-wise, coincidences aren't the best thing to do if you leave them as ones.

If you feel the need to argue with others, you dont get free will.
Be what you are. It's up to you.
Leaving everything behind, what are you left with? That which is always inside you. It'll always guide you, if you l
isten.
Nature itself has power no technology in hundred years will replicate. Power to heal you from the inside out. It is holy.

#7    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,577 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." Mark Twain.

I'm with Sean on this one.

The more you ask the reader to believe "just because," the less likely they will be to be transported inside your story. And that, in my opinion, is the goal of all storytellers. Or at least it should be.

Embrace the impossible.

#8    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Naked Judgement

• 1,592 posts

• Ultimately, your experience is the best teacher.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

I think everyone can have their own goals in storytelling, plot can be a good one but it doesn't have to be the only one. You know how Lovecraft, for example, had his very unique touch to storytelling... there was good plot too if you ask me, but when you find your own "thing" there, and find more of it and become more comfortable with it, that can become the main point there. If it's like a good song with a consistent flow of feelings or such, then you can have that as a core line. And by consistent I dont mean steady but having a flow of it's own. Story is a good way to create that flow, but not the only one. Whatever suits you best is the best advice, refine it after you find that.

If you feel the need to argue with others, you dont get free will.
Be what you are. It's up to you.
Leaving everything behind, what are you left with? That which is always inside you. It'll always guide you, if you l
isten.
Nature itself has power no technology in hundred years will replicate. Power to heal you from the inside out. It is holy.

#9    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

One way to use a coincidence in a story is to let it appear as just that, i.e. a mere coincidence. Then in the final reveal, surprise the reader that it wasn't a coincidence at all. You can even make the entire story plot hinge on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users