Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

Haunting confirmed by pyschic and photo

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postnotforgotten, on 16 February 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

I see that you got a variety of opinions. Welcome to UM. Where people are full of opinions. I'll bet most of them do not have any experience or they have little experience with the paranormal or supernatural. I do have a lot of experience with both. The one picture is a genuine "orb" picture and what I told you earlier is true as well.

PS: You have a picture of the Holy Spirit. Hold on to it, it's a keeper. :yes:
"Orbs" - as they have become known in paranormaldom - are nothing more than image artefacts, particulates illuminated by the camera; this has been demonstrated and proven again and again by empirical research and analysis since the 1990s.  The Believers' argument relies on blind faith, not evidence.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 16 February 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

I see that you got a variety of opinions. Welcome to UM. Where people are full of opinions. I'll bet most of them do not have any experience or they have little experience with the paranormal or supernatural. I do have a lot of experience with both. The one picture is a genuine "orb" picture and what I told you earlier is true as well.

PS: You have a picture of the Holy Spirit. Hold on to it, it's a keeper. :yes:

I live in Upstate New York and I have A LOT of experience taking pictures of snow.  The second picture is a picture of snow.  It may be late spring (we've had snow as late as mother's day here), but that is snow.  You can see it on the trees and the ground.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#18    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,908 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

After the singing, the air is full of the singer's spit.  That's my useless opinion, if indeed there was no snow.

(Get too close to some singers, you're in danger of drowning.  Especially those chanters with dentures!)

Edited by Eldorado, 16 February 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#19    notforgotten

notforgotten

Psychic Spy

• 1,087 posts

• One day I saw my doppelganger and someone in heaven revealed to me that I had been cloned by aliens.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 16 February 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

How do you know? I've seen with my own two eyes thousands of orbs and have taken a least a thousand pictures of them.

Do you have an actual argument that what we are looking at is not what is obviously appears to be at first glance - snow? There does appear to be some snow or dust or both in the picture, but there are orbs as well. You will see the face of a spirit in the largest orb. You would not find this in dust or snow.

Or do you merely assert the truth that others should unquestioningly swallow? No, I speak from a great deal of expereience.

Edited by notforgotten, 16 February 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,745 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostBWoodard55, on 15 February 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

hahahhaha this happened late spring of last year

So what is the white stuff on the ground?

If it happened as your friend told you, late last spring, then why only post them now?

I am not religious, but this does not make me anti religion.

#21    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,490 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 16 February 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

How do you know? I've seen with my own two eyes thousands of orbs and have taken a least a thousand pictures of them.

Do you have an actual argument that what we are looking at is not what is obviously appears to be at first glance - snow? There does appear to be some snow or dust or both in the picture, but there are orbs as well. You will see the face of a spirit in the largest orb. You would not find this in dust or snow.

Or do you merely assert the truth that others should unquestioningly swallow? No, I speak from a great deal of expereience.
There 'appears' to be some snow?  No, there IS snow in the picture.  The air is full of falling snow.

Please identify the face in this "orb". This is the largest in the picture, blown up using the nearest neighbour algorithm to preserve the original pixels and saved as a PNG to prevent any artefacting.  Don't look nothing like a face to me.  Looks like what you get when a small irregular object like a snow particle lit up by flash and out of focus because it's too close to the lens.

Posted Image

You claims of experience means squat on these forums.  What you say and do is how people will judge your 'expertise'.  'I know it's a spirit orb because I've seen lots of them' does not make a convincing argument apart from the want to believe crowd and the gullible.

You should argue your case, not merely expect people to believe your assertions.  Show us some sample of the 1000+ orbs photos you have and tell us the methodology you use to separate dust and snow from 'genuine' orbs and how you know it works.  We constantly get people claiming that there are 'true' orbs amongst the dust and snow but we don't get a working method for how we are expected to tell one from the other.

Edited by Archimedes, 16 February 2013 - 06:26 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#22    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,908 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Whoever is responsible for starting this 'orb' nonsense is due a life sentence in solitary, in my humble opinion.  *growls*

#23    notforgotten

notforgotten

Psychic Spy

• 1,087 posts

• One day I saw my doppelganger and someone in heaven revealed to me that I had been cloned by aliens.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 16 February 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

There 'appears' to be some snow?  No, there IS snow in the picture.  The air is full of falling snow.

Please identify the face in this "orb". This is the largest in the picture, blown up using the nearest neighbour algorithm to preserve the original pixels and saved as a PNG to prevent any artefacting.  Don't look nothing like a face to me.  Looks like what you get when a small irregular object like a snow particle lit up by flash and out of focus because it's too close to the lens.

Posted Image

You claims of experience means squat on these forums.  What you say and do is how people will judge your 'expertise'.  'I know it's a spirit orb because I've seen lots of them' does not make a convincing argument apart from the want to believe crowd and the gullible.

You should argue your case, not merely expect people to believe your assertions.  Show us some sample of the 1000+ orbs photos you have and tell us the methodology you use to separate dust and snow from 'genuine' orbs and how you know it works.  We constantly get people claiming that there are 'true' orbs amongst the dust and snow but we don't get a working method for how we are expected to tell one from the other.

The psychic, writer of the OP and myself know that there are orbs in that picture. I do not have to prove anything to anyone. Sorry for your lack of experience. The next time that you need your car fixed, go to someone that lacks experience and I can assure you that he'll get it wrong.

#24    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 16 February 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

The psychic, writer of the OP and myself know that there are orbs in that picture. I do not have to prove anything to anyone. Sorry for your lack of experience. The next time that you need your car fixed, go to someone that lacks experience and I can assure you that he'll get it wrong.
No-one is disputing that the photo contains orbs, but as proved by empirical research since the 1990s orbs are are nothing more than particulates illuminated by the camera.
Disable the flash and IR emitter on a camera and then we'll discuss the resulting orb photos - never gonna happen.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#25    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,490 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

The next time that you need your car fixed, go to someone that lacks experience and I can assure you that he'll get it wrong.
Well I certainly won't ask a random stranger on the Internet for their opinion on the matter.  If I ask a stranger on the Internet what's wrong with my car and he tells me it's haunted by a ghost, I'll take it to someone who can identify what the problem genuinely is.  Just like I don't trust the opinion who looks at a picture of snow and knows "it's the Holy Spirit".

You haven't answered my question - what is your method for determining in a photo of snowfall or dust what is falling snow and what is some sort of spirit orb or whatever?  You claim their "may" be some snow in that pic (there doesn't seem much "may" about it) and that the largest orb is 'genuine' because it has a 'face'.

I can't see any face.  Do all 'genuine' orbs have faces?  How do you separate the mundane dust and snow 'orbs' from the 'genuine orbs'?

You're just avoiding the questions now and resorting to declarations of your experience.

Edited by Archimedes, 16 February 2013 - 09:31 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#26    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,760 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 16 February 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

No-one is disputing that the photo contains orbs, but as proved by empirical research since the 1990s orbs are are nothing more than particulates illuminated by the camera.
Disable the flash and IR emitter on a camera and then we'll discuss the resulting orb photos - never gonna happen.

:tu:

Yes,... Orbs are photographic artifacts – specifically bits of airborne dust, water droplets, snow, insects etc, caught in the flash of a camera. They appear out of focus because they are so close to the lens of the camera in an area called "The orb zone" which is between the camera lens and the point of focus.

http://pyrrho.s5.com/orbs.html

Most people know this,... in fact, most ghost hunter websites dont even archive orb photos any more. Also,... Claiming to see "something" in the orb is nothing new. All you need is a dose of the old Pareidolia and you can see the virgin Mary in the burned tortilla, the face on Mars or Lenin in your shower curtain.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Pareidolia

Obama toast, anyone?

Posted Image

From space with love.

Posted Image

Seriously - Orbs belong on the paranormal trash dump with Rods and James Van Praagh

Edited by Hazzard, 16 February 2013 - 09:30 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#27    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostHazzard, on 16 February 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

:tu:

Yes,... Orbs are photographic artifacts – specifically bits of airborne dust, water droplets, snow, insects etc, caught in the flash of a camera. They appear out of focus because they are so close to the lens of the camera in an area called "The orb zone" which is between the camera lens and the point of focus.

http://pyrrho.s5.com/orbs.html

Most people know this,... in fact, most ghost hunter websites dont even archive orb photos any more. Also,... Claiming to see "something" in the orb is nothing new. All you need is a dose of the old Pareidolia and you can see the virgin Mary in the burned tortilla, the face on Mars or Lenin in your shower curtain.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Pareidolia

Obama toast, anyone?

Posted Image

From space with love.

Posted Image

Seriously - Orbs belong on the paranormal trash dump with Rods and James Van Praagh

That is not Obama toast . It's princess Leia after a sex change toast .

Miss me?

#28    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 16 February 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Please identify the face in this "orb".

Posted Image

Mother? OMG it's my Mom, as clear as day! She's come back!

#29    solubus

solubus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 15 February 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

I couldn't see anything in the first picture. The second picture is an "orb" picture. I believe "orbs" are the holy spirit.

That seems inaccurate because orbs are created things that are in the world while the Holy Spirit is not someone who is created.

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,745 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

View Postnotforgotten, on 16 February 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

I have seen snow on the ground  before. Does that class as experience?  it should do!

I am not religious, but this does not make me anti religion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users