Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Band of Holes Mystery Solved?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    MysteryBuff

MysteryBuff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

After much thought and research, I think I have solved this one.  It appears to be an unfinished construction site.  Only practical purpose and location would be a culvert to divert melt water from the nearby mountains to where they lived.  This would back date the site to when there were snow caps on those mountains, est. 15k-20k B.C.?  I find it even more interesting how I think it was done.  I believe if someone does microscopic and chemical analysis of the displaced soil, you will find exposure to heat and pressure, and gun powder residue.  That would suggest ancient alchemy.  All the compounts needed (sulfur and nitrates) are found in South America.   This is not such a far-fetched theory, I just believe human civilization is far older and more advanced then given credit for.  Any comments, further ideas welcome. :)

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

And here I thought Band of Holes was that group that did the song I Ran,and Courtney Love was the singer . My bad

Miss me?

#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Hi MysteryBuff,

If you're not the 'reincarnation' of Orion von Koch, then there's a (closed) thread about this:

http://www.unexplain...showtopic=46653

http://www.world-mys...piscovalley.htm

#4    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,905 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 18 February 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

Hi MysteryBuff,

If you're not the 'reincarnation' of Orion von Koch, then there's a (closed) thread about this:

http://www.unexplain...showtopic=46653

http://www.world-mys...piscovalley.htm

*Looks around, a la Basil Fawlty.

You seemed to have gotten away with mentioning him once, but don't do it again, lest he re-appear.

Buff,

Do you have any (logical) reason to believe humanity had technology sufficiently advanced to study (al)chemistry before being able to work metal? Twenty thousand years ago is a long way back. Do you have any reason to think something like the concept of turning things to gold could be ideated?

This would be something other than positing early man looked a rock and thought, "I wish this were shinier." I think that, too, sometimes, when I see rocks, but I'd be hesitant to suggest I invented alchemy.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#5    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostMysteryBuff, on 17 February 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

After much thought and research, I think I have solved this one.  It appears to be an unfinished construction site.  Only practical purpose and location would be a culvert to divert melt water from the nearby mountains to where they lived.  This would back date the site to when there were snow caps on those mountains, est. 15k-20k B.C.?  I find it even more interesting how I think it was done.  I believe if someone does microscopic and chemical analysis of the displaced soil, you will find exposure to heat and pressure, and gun powder residue.  That would suggest ancient alchemy.  All the compounts needed (sulfur and nitrates) are found in South America.   This is not such a far-fetched theory, I just believe human civilization is far older and more advanced then given credit for.  Any comments, further ideas welcome. :)

I can conceive that the "it's  to store grain in" theory is a bit shaky. Hell, I'm the usual sceptic and I have a hard time believing that one. But from there to say they blasted them with chemicals, that's a bit of a stretch as well, considering the age of said holes.

What makes you think that this was the method used? Do you have any evidence that would support this? And I'll repeat it yet again, Erich Von Däniken (or his ilk) is NOT evidence and never will be.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#6    lakeview rud

lakeview rud

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Now that we have google earth can anyone provide coordinates so we can take a look from space?  Thanks.

#7    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

View Postlakeview rud, on 18 February 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Now that we have google earth can anyone provide coordinates so we can take a look from space?  Thanks.

http://wikimapia.org...y-Band-of-Holes

#8    MysteryBuff

MysteryBuff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

hi,
first off, Jay ,the chinese discovered gunpowder, in a search for an(elixer of imortality) they failed at that but found gunpowder along the way
gunpowder is only 3 ingredients, that some other peoples might have made a similar accidental discovery i dont find to extreme.
alchemy is now Fabled as a search for gold ,but i'd say it started as just normal human curiosity ,finding strange colored rocks and such ,than testing them to see what uses they may have.only gold exists in its pure form in nature, ancients had to melt ore BEFORE they found the metal inside
Searcher, i agree my theory is a stretch,but after reading other ideas proposed.why would anyone invest that kind of time/resourses to make useless holes in the middle of nowhere.my thought(people will go to any length to secure fresh water sourse)without it you die.
why gunpowder, looking at the holes themselves they mostly resemble bomb/impact creators, meteor impact so spaced i find near imposible so that left intentional excavation and no i dont think E.T. is needed to explain how curious and clever people can be
and btw i dont believe i'm a reincarnation of anyone ,unless someone has proof of such things i'll stick to more(earthly) explinations
as to evidence that would require the soil testing i suggested,if i had the resourses for that i'd have done it already :)

#9    lakeview rud

lakeview rud

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Abe.  Darn frustrating in that the holes look like a ceremonial path to that ICA Face (whatever that is).  That area looks to be too eroded to make out anything but perhaps someone with some good computer imaging skills could improve on it? Quite the mystery.

#10    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hmmm... wonder what they could have been for. Seems like a heck of a lot of them.

#11    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

View Postlakeview rud, on 19 February 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

Thanks Abe.  Darn frustrating in that the holes look like a ceremonial path to that ICA Face (whatever that is).  That area looks to be too eroded to make out anything but perhaps someone with some good computer imaging skills could improve on it? Quite the mystery.

It looks like some huaqueros did some serious digging.

And of course the locals say they don't know who did it, heh.

#12    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 19 February 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

It looks like some huaqueros did some serious digging.

And of course the locals say they don't know who did it, heh.

Hell maybe it was some rock-munching gophers that did it, lol

On a more serious side and I'm not having a stab at you MysteryBuff, but I'm trying to explain the why explosives would have been rather unlikely to be used in this case, beside's from the fact that they didn't have any as this has never been evidenced in any way.

Holes in the ground made by explosives, tend to be rather irregular, due to minute differences in the ground density and composition, amount of rocks and pebbles, etc. and even weather conditions like atmospheric pressure and humidity play an important role.
Anybody that has worked with explosives at one time or another or has directly seen their effect can agree to that.
Also, when you have explosions so close to one another, you de facto change some of the conditions for the next few charges you set, so you need to recalculate amount of explosive, depth of the hole you set the charge in, etc. It takes a lot of adjusting in the present, when we have god knows how many explosives to pick from, which are easier and more safe to handle, than black powder and not to mention more efficient.
I mean it took the Chinese a few hundred years just to adjust the formula to it's different uses, which does not account for the setting and usage of the charges, once you want to use it.

BEsides I'm unsure soil testing would have shown anything as most likely rain and weather would have washed most chem traces away.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,053 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Looking at Google maps you can see the Band at the 100m scale.

Near 13.707409S, 758750047W

Just north of a little bump in the road called Libertadores.

The holes are bowl shaped indentations in the dirt and stones, not clean cut, circular, flat bottom holes in stone.

It looks very much like a ceremonial pathway to me. It is very interesting. I wonder if any archeology has been done around it? I'd look for building remains or a ceremonial site at either end.

Maybe it started as a one hole wide path, and the pilgims kept digging more holes with each festival.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'll bet on huaqeros, graverobbers.

It's kind of a 'profession' in Peru, like the fabrication of fake artifacts (think Cabrera, Ica Stones).

#15    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,073 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Is it known for certain that the  holes  were  dug.. and not some weird natural phenomena being uncovered?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users