Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How to Handle Police Checkpoints in the U.S.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#2    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Good for him! He was calm and confident and relatively polite.

Know the law, because a lot of those who try to enforce it, do not. I don't mean necessarily police.

Next will be unwarranted gun searches in cars and homes.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

Brilliant! :w00t:

Just goes to show haw gawmless these cops are!
They're just going about their busniness not even knowing what they're doing... and once challenged they melt.. :lol:

#4    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Reminds me of this gem.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#5    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

This just shows that Police need better training.

But also Police can set up any number of checkpoints on a road to make sure that you are licensed, inssured, not intoxicated, etc because driving isn't a right, its a Privlage.

~Thanato

But also Police can set up any number of checkpoints on a road to make sure that you are licensed, inssured, not intoxicated, etc because driving isn't a right, its a Privlage.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,782 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostThanato, on 17 February 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

~Thanato

~Thanato
If the checkpoint is for a specific cause like sobriety checks I think they are okay.  If this guy tried that in the state of Mississippi I think he would spend a night in jail - unless he had plenty of cash and a good attorney.  Stopping US citizens inside the US just to check for an ID is BS.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#7    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

View Postand then, on 17 February 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

If the checkpoint is for a specific cause like sobriety checks I think they are okay.  If this guy tried that in the state of Mississippi I think he would spend a night in jail - unless he had plenty of cash and a good attorney.  Stopping US citizens inside the US just to check for an ID is BS.

Not that I'm defending checkpoints here... but it does appear the police in the video were checking for a specific cause --- checking if youre a legal resident... so I do not believe a checkpoint for a "specific cause" is a strict enough regulation for people to be pleased with it.

Even with a sobriety check they are not allowed to do anything to you unless they have seen an indication that you are intoxicated. Thats why when you go through the checkpoint, not everyone is given a breathalyzer. If there's no indication that you're intoxicated, they can't hold you.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#8    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostYamato, on 17 February 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

I remember this guy, there was a thread with his video a while back. If I'm recalling correctly, he travels a lot, and records his checkpoints he hits on a regular basis. The checkpoint action is border security.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#9    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 5,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

They can stop anyone driving a motor vehicle and ask to see there Drivers License which is the most used form of ID. If the person refuses that request they can be arrested for a number of potential charges. However stoping somoene to ask for say there Pass Port, unless they are driving say a Car with Canadian Plates is a bit out to lunch.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#10    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

If the checkpoint is for a specific cause like sobriety checks I think they are okay. If this guy tried that in the state of Mississippi I think he would spend a night in jail - unless he had plenty of cash and a good attorney. Stopping US citizens inside the US just to check for an ID is BS.
There's always a reason for everything the State does to our People, andy.  I'm sure there's a specific cause for this checkpoint too.  So basically you do like checkpoints.  Welcome to the United States of Palestine.  Going into labor?   No hospital!   Pull over to the side of the road for another hour and sit in the traffic we made while we check your papers.   That kind of nonsense is a regular occurrence over there, and the chickens have come home to roost.   I'd rather not invite tyranny to our shores by not subsidizing it and participating in it outside our shores.  Some people who can't understand freedom would rather suffer both.   It's unclear where these checkpoints were, so we can't be sure what the police are even doing there (like the guy in the video said).   But if the police can't keep the illegals on their own side of the border, we shouldn't suffer their incompetence.   If we weren't so concerned with the borders between Syria and Iraq or Pakistan and Afghanistan and paid that kind of attention to our own instead, we wouldn't have any need for these checkpoints.   It's amazing sometimes to think how many problems foreign policy changes will solve.   Taxpayer money should be treated as a scarce and precious resource that is conservatively allocated at all times for every purpose, not a bottomless pit of debt and mortgage.  I know how our bureaucrats love to pretend that foreign policy isn't economic policy, but when we're a trillion more in the hole every year, cutting off the spending overseas should be prioritized.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#11    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Just sayin... The checkpoint was on westbound I-8, a highway in southern CA that runs roughly parallel and very close to the Mexico border.

edit: looked up the other thread about this.... http://www.unexplain...checkpoint&st=0

Edited by rashore, 17 February 2013 - 09:34 PM.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#12    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,248 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Postrashore, on 17 February 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

I remember this guy, there was a thread with his video a while back. If I'm recalling correctly, he travels a lot, and records his checkpoints he hits on a regular basis. The checkpoint action is border security.
He preaches a lot and records his sermons on a regular basis.   His Youtube channel is linked off the OP vid.

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

In New York the police can check what is visible from outside the vehicle - are you wearing your seatbelt, child in car seat, registration and inspection up to date, and/or no visible violations with the vehicle (lights out, etc.).  Typically you don't even have to roll down the window.

I would have a huge problem with what the driver in the video experienced.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hey, I wonder if we can do NO CHECKPOINTS everywhere.

Just think, a DWI about ready to accidentally kill people. Nice!!

Then, a random drug check that discover's 2.5 lbs. of meth. Dang, let them through!

Smuggled, illegal aliens... Sir, please continue and pass by.

A murder/robbery suspect not found because of no checkpoints... Mr. murderer/theif, enjoy your drive.

On and on and on...

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Lets just put checkpoints every 10 miles and require body cavity checks every 100 miles. Problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users