Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Naga of Mekong River in Nongkhai Thailand

naga

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 19 February 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Hi Xsas

The general consensus is that they are some type of plasma phenomenon. These things have been reported for a very long time, and any number from tens to thousands can be seen in a night ranging from baseball to basketball size. It is believed this phenomena is simply not catalogued nor understood  but more along the lines of natural phenomena.

Cheers.

View Postpsyche101, on 19 February 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

Hi Xsas

The general consensus is that they are some type of plasma phenomenon. These things have been reported for a very long time, and any number from tens to thousands can be seen in a night ranging from baseball to basketball size. It is believed this phenomena is simply not catalogued nor understood  but more along the lines of natural phenomena.

Cheers.

Hi Psyche,

Good to see you again, thanks for that.

I had read about the natural phenomena believed to be behind the fireballs but wasn't sure if these are seen all year round or just on the day of the full moon at the end of Buddhist Lent.

Am I correct in assuming, the fireballs are seen throughout the year at all times?

Posted Image

#17    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Nagas are pretty prevalent in Cambodian religious imagery. You often see seven-headed versions adorning wats (temples) and accompanying Buddha in depictions of him. Apparently, Cambodians believed that they were descended from the nagas, an ancient reptilian race. Super-surprised this hasn't been mentioned in an episode of Ancient Aliens yet.

#18    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,810 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Welcome to UM Rezaque-SG :st

Interesting thread, I have a woeful lack of reading on Eastern critters.

#19    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostPlanB, on 19 February 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Nagas are pretty prevalent in Cambodian religious imagery. You often see seven-headed versions adorning wats (temples) and accompanying Buddha in depictions of him. Apparently, Cambodians believed that they were descended from the nagas, an ancient reptilian race. Super-surprised this hasn't been mentioned in an episode of Ancient Aliens yet.

:)

Are you familiar with the Naga Kanya PlanB ? She's awesome .

Miss me?

#20    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 19 February 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

:)

Are you familiar with the Naga Kanya PlanB ? She's awesome .

Only through visual depictions. I think she's more prevalent in India and Hinduism, though I may be wrong, whereas my family practiced Theravada Buddhism.

#21    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,114 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

View Postxsas, on 19 February 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Hi Psyche,

Good to see you again, thanks for that.

I had read about the natural phenomena believed to be behind the fireballs but wasn't sure if these are seen all year round or just on the day of the full moon at the end of Buddhist Lent.

Am I correct in assuming, the fireballs are seen throughout the year at all times?

Gidday Mate

Pleasure to see you around again.

Yes, they are seen throughout the year, but are abundant around October, and vary from year to year, but most claims only go back to the 60's however, locals claim a far longer history. Some years there are heaps, some years hardly any, it is also not restricted to the Mekong, but the smaller surrounding lakes produce these as well. Hang on mate, I have a good link stashed here someplace, I had a look at them sometime ago when mcrom mentioned them in the ET section. Fascinating stuff.

Here it is :D - LINK

I like this part, it is quite relevant:

Scientists get involved

Contrary to most other ghostly apparitions around the world, Naga fireballs have been observed by thousands of people and captured on numerous photographs and movies.

Most local people believe in the mythical explanation involving nagas. In 2002 there arised a scandal when independent Thai TV channel iTV reported that they observed the following: each time when Laotian soldiers shot some tracer bullets in the air, Thai side of river was greeting this with cheerful shouts. TV reporters thus proved that sometimes "fake" naga balls are greeted.

This report met with stiff resistance of local people expressing even hate towards iTV.

Government of Thailand decided that scientists should be involved and explanation should be provided. A kind of "dreamteam" of Thai experts was established, at the same time rising heated debates about the intrusion of science in traditional myths.

In 2003 thermal scanners and five teams of scientists were stationed in several spots along the river in Rattanawapi district (Thailand). A team was located also at the most famous observation spot - at the Naga temple in Phon Phisai town. There were rumours about the involvement of specific submarine in research.

Some scientific reports mention an upward movement of gas bubbles in Mekong water. According to them - as the gas bubbles reached the surface, the gas started to burn and rised up like a glowing orange bubble.

Phosphine? Methane?

Earlier some scientists considered that the most likely reason for flames is phosphine (PH3). This gas, especially in the presence of the diphosphine (P2H4), is capable of spontaneous flammability. Thus one can assume that bubbles of this substance may rise from the sediments of Mekong and, as it reaches the atmosphere, burn with yellow - orange flame. Small amount of this substance quickly is consumed in flames, and, as the burning bubble rises up in the air, it disappears.

Possible source of phosphine might be a chemical reaction in the river sediments - bacterial reduction of phosphate in decaying organic matter.

Often is mentioned another gas - methane, which, theoretically, if mixed with the same phosphine and some other gases at very specific conditions may experience spontaneous ignition.

...or hoax?

There remained unsolved issues though:
  • Phosphine is not a light gas, it is heavier than air. Naga lights though rise up in the air very quickly.
  • When phosphine burns, it produces dense, white and highly toxic cloud. None of these effects (luckily) have been observed on Mekong.

Cheers.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users