Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Zombies

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#46    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,956 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 10 September 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

I like to watch Zombies at Super market check outs.They just stand and stare,dont speak,and shuffle forward until its their turn.
We had a few of them at my old local co-op, they were called "staff"

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#47    dangit12

dangit12

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• if you like it then do it
    -mick(dangit12) :)

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:48 AM

I think zombie are possible, people rising from the dead No but people that are infected from a disease maybe raibies and hunger for organs yeah maybe...

Edited by dangit12, 17 December 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#48    LadyLabyrinth

LadyLabyrinth

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

I believe in them. I feel like one when I've had no coffee. :P

#49    Scholar4Truth

Scholar4Truth

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 169 posts

• Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance." —Albert Einstein

The supernatural is the natural not yet understood.-Elbert Hubbard

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

I was just thinking about the idea of Cryonics if such is ever possible would a person be considered a zombie under that circumstance?

#50    mimilovell

mimilovell

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

i dont think the conventional zombies we see on tv excits yet (although I am not ruiling out the possibilties of a deadly virus being placed on us from governement labs to do this in the future). Although, mind control programmes have been going on for years, just like how LSD was invented and why sodium flouride being add to water to dumb down the population and control the mass public.

Today most I see the general public are like zombies. They have been programmed to think a certain way. respond negatively to certain things rather than being open minded, and some even act like total degenerates.

#51    Werewolf_Genesis

Werewolf_Genesis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

• If you didn't want to know, why did you ask?

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

I am amazed that no one has linked to the Zombie Research Society as yet.

http://zombieresearc.../advisory-board

Dead zombies?  No, not likely, but 28 Days/Weeks/Months Later types?  Oh yes, and its not alarmist when the CDC has a page for zombie preparedness.  The advisory board includes a Harvard medical professional, a Navy Seal, the founder is tapped as an expert on Walking Dead, etc.

Z Day is coming, just a question of when folks.

Posted ImageShhhhhhhhhhh........I'm Sneaky like dat!

#52    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,034 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:50 AM

View Postmimilovell, on 07 March 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

sodium flouride being add to water to dumb down the population and control the mass public.
Which is why Australia is full of dullards and witless fools.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#53    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 20,290 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostWerewolf_Genesis, on 13 March 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

Oh yes, and its not alarmist when the CDC has a page for zombie preparedness.  The advisory board includes a Harvard medical professional, a Navy Seal, the founder is tapped as an expert on Walking Dead, etc.

Well, it would be considered alarmist to pretend it is anything other than a tongue-in-cheek promotion of readiness planning.

#54    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,215 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Some people take fictional stuff way too seriously.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#55    Werewolf_Genesis

Werewolf_Genesis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

Lilly, aquatus, have either of you looked into the website?  I will grant you both without reservation that the returning from the dead type of zombie is never going to happen.  The possibility of a drug/virus/pathogen taking over the brain of its host and directing it towards self-destruction, violence and general mayhem is documented in other animals.  Even a particularly nasty form of rabies, resistant to the vaccine, or the vaccine administered too late, could be considered to make the victims zombielike, mindless and acting on the most basic of instincts.

Before you dismiss the idea entirely out of hand, please take a look at the website I mentioned.  Granted, it is tongue-in-cheek towards the nod to George Romero on the board, but the founder is well-acquainted with pathogens and viruses and other biological possibilities that could result in a 28 Days Later type scenario.  In the brave new world of 2014, not considering the ramifications of weaponizing say, rabies, or development of a biological weapon that dooms the target to self-consumption is as comforting as looking at the tanks rolling towards protesters in Beijing and whistling.

I apologize if I seem a bit excited about this, but the offhand dismissal of what I think is a viable zombie argument without discussion hit a nerve.  I have not done in an in-depth look at the Society's research (apologies if you both have) but the interview I read in GEEK magazine with the founder seemed to me to be an informed outlook.  I have been looking for it online and failed to find it thus far.  I do have the print magazine at home, however.

#56    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 20,290 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

View PostWerewolf_Genesis, on 15 March 2014 - 12:50 AM, said:

Lilly, aquatus, have either of you looked into the website?

The CDC site?  Plenty of times.

I will grant you both without reservation that the returning from the dead type of zombie is never going to happen.  The possibility of a drug/virus/pathogen taking over the brain of its host and directing it towards self-destruction, violence and general mayhem is documented in other animals.

Hmm...asides from the widely overhyped rabies virus, what virus or pathogen can you think of which turns its host violent and aggressive?  Self-destruction has never been a zombie characteristic, so I won't include it (though I understand why you did).

Even a particularly nasty form of rabies, resistant to the vaccine, or the vaccine administered too late, could be considered to make the victims zombielike, mindless and acting on the most basic of instincts.

In an incredibly minor percentage of case, yes.  And yes, in those cases, people have become violent and have even bitten others.  There has never been a documented case of a person catching rabies from another by bite (there have been a few when transfusions are involved).

Before you dismiss the idea entirely out of hand, please take a look at the website I mentioned.  Granted, it is tongue-in-cheek towards the nod to George Romero on the board, but the founder is well-acquainted with pathogens and viruses and other biological possibilities that could result in a 28 Days Later type scenario.  In the brave new world of 2014, not considering the ramifications of weaponizing say, rabies, or development of a biological weapon that dooms the target to self-consumption is as comforting as looking at the tanks rolling towards protesters in Beijing and whistling.

I agree, it is entirely conceivable that such a thing could happen.  Similarly, there is also the possibility of a massive meteor impact causing global chaos.  It would be alarmist, though, to claim that it is an imminent (or even a likely) danger because NASA has a web page on it.

I apologize if I seem a bit excited about this, but the offhand dismissal of what I think is a viable zombie argument without discussion hit a nerve.

Disagreement doesn't equate to refusal to discuss.  It certainly doesn't equate to offhand dismissal.  And in this particular situation, when the disagreement is over how serious the CDC is in regards to a zombie with someone using the claim to imply that the idea of a zombie disaster is not alarmist, but even expected...well, it's kind of a weak basis for any degree of alarm when the site itself refers to it as tongue-in-cheek.

I have not done in an in-depth look at the Society's research (apologies if you both have)

More of a casual hobby, for me at least.

but the interview I read in GEEK magazine with the founder seemed to me to be an informed outlook.  I have been looking for it online and failed to find it thus far.  I do have the print magazine at home, however.

It isn't really a complex enough subject to warrant being impressed with any particular amount of information.  It's kind of like getting excited because of someones particularly compelling plans in the event of a major hurricane,  Sure, it's interesting, it can even be exciting, but it isn't exactly something that only a handful of people in the world can do.

Edited by aquatus1, 15 March 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#57    Werewolf_Genesis

Werewolf_Genesis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

View PostWerewolf_Genesis, on 13 March 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

I am amazed that no one has linked to the Zombie Research Society as yet.

http://zombieresearc.../advisory-board

Dead zombies?  No, not likely, but 28 Days/Weeks/Months Later types?  Oh yes, and its not alarmist when the CDC has a page for zombie preparedness.  The advisory board includes a Harvard medical professional, a Navy Seal, the founder is tapped as an expert on Walking Dead, etc.

Z Day is coming, just a question of when folks.

aquatus1  See Above website link for the website I was referring to.  Not the CDC website.

#58    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,447 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

That website is dedicated to zombies in culture and society.

Namely, fictional zombies.

Thus George Romero being involved.

It's meant for fun

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#59    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 20,290 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

Oh yeah, been a while since I went to that site.  Yeah, I agree, it is pretty much for fun, just like most of us (including yourself) take it.

And, as long as we keep it in perspective, it's all good.  So let's not pretend the CDC zombie page is any less meant for fun.

Myself, I keep my handy tactical tomahawk in my bug-out bag...just in case.

Incidentally, in terms of human behaviour in the event of an outbreak, have you read about what we have learned from the online gaming industry?

Edited by aquatus1, 16 March 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#60    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,215 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Question: Have any of you ever seen an actual zombie? And, I don't mean the hung-over guy from next door. I mean, an actual walking around while dead, brain eating, half rotted zombie? Let me guess, the honest answer would be 'no'.

The reason for this is: Zombies aren't real.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users