Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why do people automatically believe

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    HeyWhatsUpWithAirlineFood

HeyWhatsUpWithAirlineFood

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Anyone could make up an alien abduction story with a compelling, spine-chiller hook, then wrap it all around something that deals with peoples' primal fears of the unknown and end up with a massive lie about something that didn't happen, and swear by their life on it being true.

And people would believe them. Based only on their verbal testimony.

Sadly.

The point is, trying to have a friendly debate with someone who believes in crap like that is almost impossible, because let's face it, even though someone's story of a UFO sighting or whatever might scare you, or shock you, or make you feel stunned subconsciously, it doesn't necessarily mean that story actually dealt with a sighting of an alien machine.

Existential fallacies aren't good for you.

Edited by supersonic, 18 February 2013 - 03:56 AM.

Pseudoscience has no place in reality

#2    No Censorship

No Censorship

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

That's true. On the other hand, why do some people feel the need to dismiss and dispute all stories that take them out of their comfort zones? Not all witnesses are dishonest, and not all witnesses are mistaken. Some accounts are valid.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#3    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:28 AM

Well, we don't 'automatically' believe anything. We make the choice. Because we have the ability of free will. We can believe or not believe whatever we want. What a gift!

But that aside. there are so many factors that go into assessing whether you buy into someone's story or not. Some are very affective and some are naturals at it, while others may think they are and are way off. Basically, it's up to that person to decide for themselves, but I'd be willing to bet that the observer of the 'witness testimony' does more deciding on their own than by only on what the witness says. The witness can only plant a seed. It's up to the viewer to decide to grow that seed or let it rot. So I think wanting or not wanting to believe plays a much bigger part than the actual testimony itself.

Edited by _Only, 18 February 2013 - 04:29 AM.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#4    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,393 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Why dont u belive in alien abduction.it does happen just ak travis walton him and his friends passed the lie dectort tests.

#5    CT1993

CT1993

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

• With a Force that can't be compared, to any firepower, for it's mind power shared

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

View Postsupersonic, on 18 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Anyone could make up an alien abduction story with a compelling, spine-chiller hook, then wrap it all around something that deals with peoples' primal fears of the unknown and end up with a massive lie about something that didn't happen, and swear by their life on it being true.

And people would believe them. Based only on their verbal testimony.

Sadly.

The point is, trying to have a friendly debate with someone who believes in crap like that is almost impossible, because let's face it, even though someone's story of a UFO sighting or whatever might scare you, or shock you, or make you feel stunned subconsciously, it doesn't necessarily mean that story actually dealt with a sighting of an alien machine.

Existential fallacies aren't good for you.

There are thousands if not hundred's of thousands of cases people don't report in fear of ridicule from people like you (no offence).

They don't want to report them because they have no evidence but that doesn not mean it didn't happen!. lots of people have their memory's erased of the whole occurance also and could only be remembered through hypnosis ( although i don't know if this method is effective)

there are also people implanted with some sort of device in their body's how do you explain that? There is nothing to gain from making up a story like this and in fact the is more to loose like credibility, Respectibility, and people would even question if your sane or not and also the ridicule which i already mentioned.

#6    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 18 February 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

That's true. On the other hand, why do some people feel the need to dismiss and dispute all stories that take them out of their comfort zones? Not all witnesses are dishonest, and not all witnesses are mistaken. Some accounts are valid.

But how can the rest of us KNOW what is real and what is not.... This is why we need science. We need REAL evidence. It is more rewarding .

I need to KNOW..... not just BELIEVE.

Edited by DBunker, 18 February 2013 - 05:55 AM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#7    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostDBunker, on 18 February 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

But how can the rest of us KNOW what is real and what is not.... This is why we need science. We need REAL evidence. It is more rewarding .

I need to KNOW..... not just BELIEVE.
I dont believe you do. Your intellect is enough

#8    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,486 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 18 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

I dont believe you do. Your intellect is enough

That is what many people would assume. That is why people believe in all sorts of weird things.

Not many of them real. Look back at history and you will (maybe) see what Im getting at.

Just because you believe in something does in no way make it real.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#9    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,566 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Ignorance + boring uneventful lives.

Just looking at a certain topic at UM, some posters don't know what lens flares are and think light can't shine through cloud cover.

#10    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,434 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

gotta go with DBunker on that one. I was very intrigued when i first heard of the alien abduction phenomenon. Now, almost twenty years later, i came (for myself) to the conlusion to better stay skeptic, wether someone easily dismisses a UFO sighting as a weather balloon or tells me that he was abducted by little grey men that probed the s**t out of them.

Regarding the ever-improving possibilities of digitally recording (and manipulating!) sounds and pictures, i DEMAND double-checked, non-preoccupation-flavoured scientific proof before i believe anything. That russian meteor showed me that if REALLY something  is going on, there will be more people recording it than your average blurry, shaky one-person coverage....

#11    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,552 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

belief without something convincing is ignorance
not all people believe " automatically " some worked really hard and search for convincing clues to attain their belief
" general speaking "

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 18 February 2013 - 09:42 AM.

"why should we not rely on Allah when he guided us our path . we shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us. for those who want to put their trust in someone should put their trust in Allah.

#12    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 18 February 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

belief without something convincing is ignorance
not all people believe " automatically " some worked really hard and search for convincing clues to attain their belief
" general speaking "

Couldn't have said it any better. I'm one of the latter, I need proof, evidence, something. I've never believed anything, just because some person says so.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,271 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Some people  just took star trek as gospel, and now we have youtube, well!!!!!

#14    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,685 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

question everything.... even peer reviewed data :unsure2:

Posted Image

#15    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postmcrom901, on 18 February 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

question everything.... even peer reviewed data :unsure2:

Posted Image

I'm reminded of a cop dash video of a belligerent woman arguing with a police officer. It went something like:

"Ma'am, why didn't you stop when I flashed my lights."

"I was told by the news that I was to not stop for ANYONE until in a safe area where others were visible!!"
Apparently, "the news" was a far higher authority to this woman than her local police force.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users