Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why do people automatically believe

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Seems odd that I do not take any News at face value and check the stories from more than one source and at the same time require the same evidence most of the skeptics here do. News and accounts of encounters (any of them) are all different shades of grey. It isn't believe this completely or disregard it completely, at least not for me. I do want irrefutable evidence to support extraordinary claims. Unfortunately there will always be people out there that let others tell them what to think, on all sides of the aisle. JMO.

#17    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Postsupersonic, on 18 February 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Anyone could make up an alien abduction story with a compelling, spine-chiller hook, then wrap it all around something that deals with peoples' primal fears of the unknown and end up with a massive lie about something that didn't happen, and swear by their life on it being true.

And people would believe them. Based only on their verbal testimony.

Sadly.

Some of us were raised to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, especially people who apparently have nothing to gain from lying. Eventually some of us realized that some people enjoy lying and entertain themselves by fooling others.

My generation was also raised to believe almost anything is possible. We landed on the Moon, we had supersonic jets flying over the Atlantic, and we had satellites giving us live television from other continents. If you thought alien visitation, Bigfoot, ESP, and past lives were unbelievable then you were closed-minded and were going to be left behind in the miracles that were the future!

We're now in the future! Even the sound of the year "2013" implied that we would have hotels in orbit, bases on the Moon, landings on Mars, and spaceships flying toward distant stars. Similarly we would have mastered our ESP powers, discovered Bigfoot communities, and have made contact with the wonderful aliens that were obviously visiting our planet in their flying saucers. Some imagined that Earth would even ally with "good" aliens to fight off the "evil" aliens who wanted to conquer our planet. The line between science and science fiction was very blurred back then.

Instead people are now Photoshopping fake UFO photos, the Patterson footage is still the "best" evidence of Bigfoot, and ESP has been almost entirely debunked. Overall people are much more skeptical and cynical about these things now. I say things have improved.

#18    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,600 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postscowl, on 18 February 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

and ESP has been almost entirely debunked.

almost?

#19    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postmcrom901, on 18 February 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

question everything.... even peer reviewed data :unsure2:

Posted Image

I feel sloppy reporting has caused a loss of confidence in science.
Even if you read a science article yourself, check the source.There should be a link to the original study and you can learn what kind it was(preliminary, follow up, extensive, meta etc.).
It may be an interesting story but small sample size preliminary studies aren't the last word.

Often with some news outlets, the headline is miss leading, possibly due to being written by a journalist with no science background, or the "story" is copied directly from a press release(not a published peer reviewed science journal) to sell a book. Check the qualifications of the quoted authority.

#20    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,852 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

So true ,So many time we listen to a report given by someone with no bussiness what so ever talking about a subject,or event of Intrest. Its laughable always Specially when its in regards to Knows Science Tech,ect reports. But what the Hay They dont pay them for there Brains.Its usually there Looks !
See Y`az ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#21    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

View Postscowl, on 18 February 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

Instead people are now Photoshopping fake UFO photos, the Patterson footage is still the "best" evidence of Bigfoot, and ESP has been almost entirely debunked.

View Postmcrom901, on 18 February 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

almost?

You'll still find a small percentage of people who still believe people can predict the future and communicate through telepathy, but far fewer than back in the 70's when most people believed ESP existed.

#22    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,852 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

View Postscowl, on 18 February 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

You'll still find a small percentage of people who still believe people can predict the future and communicate through telepathy, but far fewer than back in the 70's when most people believed ESP existed.
They Still get the really Good Weed ! Thats why ! :tu: :whistle: Just Saying !

#23    mcrom901

mcrom901

plasmoid ninja

• 5,600 posts

• space debris, decided to evolve and become us!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

View Postscowl, on 18 February 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

but what has the percentage of believers got anything to do with regards to esp being 'almost entirely debunked'? are you suggesting that the 'small percentage' of scientists who still hold on to their experimental data regardless of the fact that whether they have a viable theory or not should be convinced otherwise, then that would make it 100% debunked?

#24    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hollywood, secret military projects, comics, books, radios... that is why people believe in alien motherships and carriers and stuff ! All controled by half grey half green nordic lizards. That would be one uber alien!

For real i believe there is alot of life out there we just didnt had any luck with it.

I would like to say that there is alot we dont know from military-industrial backwater shadow dark oh and black operations/projects/complex xD

Now we know that we dont know ! :D

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#25    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 18 February 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

That's true. On the other hand, why do some people feel the need to dismiss and dispute all stories that take them out of their comfort zones? Not all witnesses are dishonest, and not all witnesses are mistaken. Some accounts are valid.

People who interpret their stories have tainted the information beyond usefulness. You are never going to get a straight story from someone who has seen an "Alien", a "UFO" on the other hand might be something worth listening to.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#26    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,852 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 19 February 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

People who interpret their stories have tainted the information beyond usefulness. You are never going to get a straight story from someone who has seen an "Alien", a "UFO" on the other hand might be something worth listening to.
Indeed mighty Wizzard of OZ. THe Truth is all in the Puddin !
And we all know you cant have your puddin If you dont Eat your Meat ! :clap:

#27    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

View Postcoolguy, on 18 February 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

Why dont u belive in alien abduction.it does happen just ak travis walton him and his friends passed the lie dectort tests.

Posted Image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#28    rvaun

rvaun

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• "We all know UFOs are real. All we need to ask is where are they from."

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

:whistle:

UFO ≠ Alien Space Car

Stuff I used to believe in that I don't anymore for various reasons: TR3B, SR72/SR75, Belgian UFO Wave, (and counting...)

#29    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,405 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 19 February 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

Indeed mighty Wizzard of OZ. THe Truth is all in the Puddin !
And we all know you cant have your puddin If you dont Eat your Meat ! :clap:

You! Yes! You behind the bikesheds! Stand still, laddie!", how can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

#30    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostDBunker, on 18 February 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

But how can the rest of us KNOW what is real and what is not.... This is why we need science. We need REAL evidence. It is more rewarding .

I need to KNOW..... not just BELIEVE.

Some of us don't need science to make up our minds for us. Evidence and witnesses are routinely discounted by debunkers to the point where they sound like religious fanatics. Both groups share the same kind of hostility to people, who don't share their views, too. Their animosity is another mystery that needs to be solved.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users