Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

SSS Bob Barker Battles Japanese Fleet

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

View Postevancj, on 23 March 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

I do not condone what the Japanese whalers are doing, and agree they need to stop killing whales. But these sea shepard people are nothing more than attention seeking, self aggrandizing, wannabe heroes that in reality are nothing more than common terrorists.

There are good laws, bad laws, and laws that don't exist but should. Just because someone breaks a certain law doesn't mean it's morally indefensible.  For example, those people who illegally smuggled slaves to the northern states are now hailed as heroes. People at the forefront of any moral crusade oftentimes break the law.

Several American states have passed legislation that makes terrorists out of anyone who surreptitiously videotapes the activities inside slaughterhouses. Other states go even father; here's Montana's proposed Animal Ecological Terrorism Act ;

"
(5) Specifies that any person, animal, or ecological terrorist
organization will be guilty of the crime of participating in or
supporting animal or ecological terrorism if he or she raises,
solicits, collects, or provides any person with material,
financial support, or other resources that will be used to
encourage, plan, prepare, carry out, publicize, promote, or aid
an act of animal or ecological terrorism or the concealment of or
an escape from an act of animal or ecological terrorism;"

If I lived in Montana I would be classified as a terrorist simply because I have publicized (on forums) acts of "eco-terrorism".

In this case, and many others, the law is an ass.

#62    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

View Postevancj, on 29 March 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

35 years of the same unimaginative, and poorly thought out tactics that haven't stopped anything, is a resounding success? Go ahead and keep deluding yourself.

And yours somehow does?

This is exactly the kind of self righteous, and dismissive comment that drives away and alienates the greater public support for your cult, and others like it.

I am not a shill for anyone. I do not support whaling, nor do I believe the Japanese are killing whales for scientific study. I would love to see whaling stopped but wouldn't give a dime to support you bag of nuts.

It is you whom is clearly the shill for the cult, you have bee brainwashed, and can no longer think for yourself. You drank the Kool-Aid, not me.

I have no idea who this person is and could careless if his shoes are shinny.

Let me give you a little advice; ditch your insane adrenalin junky captain whom thinks the root of the problem is the whalers, and work on changing the Japanese culture of eating whales. As long as there is a demand for whale flesh in Japan, there will be someone who is willing put up with your ineffective and pesky attacks to supply that demand.
Their history looks impressive enough to me.   We can agree to disagree; berating them further isn't convincing.

My opinion translates to donations so I slap some paint on the hull at least.

Working on the culture of eating whales is another idea.  Maybe there's some merit there and it should be pursued.  Telling other people to do your ideas infers you won't do it yourself.   Granted, just complaining about what others are doing and not doing it yourself is a lot easier.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#63    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

View Postredhen, on 30 March 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

There are good laws, bad laws, and laws that don't exist but should. Just because someone breaks a certain law doesn't mean it's morally indefensible.  For example, those people who illegally smuggled slaves to the northern states are now hailed as heroes. People at the forefront of any moral crusade oftentimes break the law.

Several American states have passed legislation that makes terrorists out of anyone who surreptitiously videotapes the activities inside slaughterhouses. Other states go even father; here's Montana's proposed Animal Ecological Terrorism Act ;

"
(5) Specifies that any person, animal, or ecological terrorist
organization will be guilty of the crime of participating in or
supporting animal or ecological terrorism if he or she raises,
solicits, collects, or provides any person with material,
financial support, or other resources that will be used to
encourage, plan, prepare, carry out, publicize, promote, or aid
an act of animal or ecological terrorism or the concealment of or
an escape from an act of animal or ecological terrorism;"

If I lived in Montana I would be classified as a terrorist simply because I have publicized (on forums) acts of "eco-terrorism".

In this case, and many others, the law is an ass.

Videotaping!  How violent!  These bureaus throwing the "terrorist" label around really need to get a dictionary.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#64    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,475 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

This baseless nonsense that the reason Japanese whale is Sea Shepherd is daft of Japan's history of whaling.  Japan was whaling long before Sea Shepherd arrived and they'll whale long after Sea Shepherd is gone.   The fact of the matter and the reason we support Sea Shepherd is they take a bite out of Japan's commercial poachery in the meantime.

Some gubmint goon with a rifle putting a bullet through some black guy's head in Africa and no they're not "terrorists".  They're from the gobmint and they're here to help. of course!   But Sea Shepherd falls victim to all the PC political BS that "OMG, some independent freelancer who isn't from the gobmint is clearly wrong at doing what the gobmint should be doing already anyway."   Bugger that kool aid.

One thing statists need to figure out already is that the world gets the best results from free individuals and groups of free individuals.  Not government.   Sea Shepherd is another in a long line of examples.  Civil reform never happens because government decrees it.  It happens because good people choose to stand up and fight, and suffer physically for that change.   People hate Sea Shepherd because they're political, and think that politics matters.  Politics are useless.  Fake left-right paradigms and group-think mentality doesn't serve anyone anything.  It's just another cheap excuse to get peoples' dander up and rabble rouse about nothing.  Kissing butt and appeasing Japanese whale poachers isn't going to stop Japanese whale poaching.  That's weak and pathetic and useless to change.  Change requires confrontation and passion, not asking people to please stop doing something you don't like them doing.  They don't care about your opinion.  Complaining about the actions of others and offering no alternatives is tantamount to disability.   I understand people are emotional about this issue but trying to impose appeasement as a serious alternative is ridiculous.

#65    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostYamato, on 30 March 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

One thing statists need to figure out already is that the world gets the best results from free individuals and groups of free individuals.  Not government.   Sea Shepherd is another in a long line of examples.  Civil reform never happens because government decrees it.  It happens because good people choose to stand up and fight, and suffer physically for that change.  

Yes, many times in the newspaper I've read stories about individual private citizens taking it upon themselves to bring issues into the legal courts or the court of public opinion, and thought to myself that this is something the government should be doing. There's probably an orthodox denotation of ship of state, but I always equate it with the slow speed with which a ship can turn around. That's just the nature of bureaucracy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users