Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Room 237

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Apparently there's a documentary-style movie coming out soon which examines hidden meanings within Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's novel 'The Shining'. This is a blurb about the film (from the blinding official website):

In 1980 Stanley Kubrick released his classic horror film, THE SHINING. Over 30 years later, viewers are still struggling to understand its hidden meanings. Loved and hated by equal numbers, the film is considered a genre standard by many loyalists, while other viewers dismiss it as the lazy result of a legendary director working far below his talent level. In between these two poles, however, live the theories of ardent fans who are convinced they have decoded THE SHINING’s secret messages regarding genocide, government conspiracy, and the nightmare that we call history. Ascher’s ROOM 237 fuses fact and fiction through interviews with the fans and scholars who espouse these theories. Ideas of five devotees of the film with wildly different ideas about its true meaning are braided together in a kaleidoscopic deconstruction of the horror classic.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has heard of these theories and if so, do they interest you or not? If this film is a direct adaptation of the book, is there really much room for the director to add his/her own views on ideas, hidden or not?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,073 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

I've been trying to look up what these Conspiracy theories are exactly, but it all seems rather vague stuff about that tedious old severely-beaten-dead-horse the Moon Hoax, and just about anything else anyone seems to want to make of it. I expect there's probably something about 9/11 as well. I wouldn't be surprised.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yeah I would have thought it'd be something vaguely familiar to most people, but I've never heard any of this.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Then there's the old thing about '42'.

There 42 vehicles in the hotel's car park. Danny and his mother watch 'Summer of 42' on the TV. The hotel was built in 1907. 42 is a multiple of 7. The photo in the final scene is dated July (the 7th. month). The room number....237 (2x3x7=42). The film relies heavily on Thomas Mann's novel 'The Magic Mountain' where the number 7 was frequently used to signify danger.

Stephen King disliked Kubrick's screen intepretation of his novel.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#5    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,720 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I never heard of this before.. It's interesting though.

#6    AZDZ

AZDZ

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• Hatching soon...

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

never heard of it, sounds... interesting, I suppose. I'd really be interested in hearing from King himself on the matter, though. Are any interviews with him in the book are is it all her interpretative?

I'll just leave this here. http://www.guardian....el-doctor-sleep

never say never, because anything is possible

Please note: I am not Anti-Government. I hold no affiliation with Conspiracy Theorists.
My opinions are my own based on my experiences only. While I do wonder why they continue

to hold positions they do, I also think they believe they are doing the right thing.

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostAZDZ, on 06 March 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

never heard of it, sounds... interesting, I suppose. I'd really be interested in hearing from King himself on the matter, though. Are any interviews with him in the book are is it all her interpretative?

I'll just leave this here. http://www.guardian....el-doctor-sleep

A friend of mine said King didn't like Kubrick's adaptation.

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 06 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

A friend of mine said King didn't like Kubrick's adaptation.

Yeah...me! Post #4.    Posted Image

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have more than one friend, believe it or not, eald. :P She was basically agreeing with you, though I didn't tell her of your response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users