Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Derren Brown: I will make a straight man gay

derren brown gay straight man women

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postacute alan, on 18 February 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

That's a good point.
Will the newly-gay man be into pink, or brown?

I see what you did there. :tsu:

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#17    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Ya'll need to remember that Derren Brown isn't claiming to be using powers beyond the realms unlike most of these guys, he simply uses psychology and a few tricks...or summat' like that.

You wanna' turn someone gay, have him stay in a mexican prison for a year.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#18    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

he may be able to 'think' they are gay for a while, but actually putting it into practice??? lets see.

Agreed.

#19    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I see that program where he supposedly made that guy think he was in an apocalpyse.... That guys acting was terrible.. lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostCoffey, on 19 February 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

I see that program where he supposedly made that guy think he was in an apocalpyse.... That guys acting was terrible.. lol
Agreed, I wonder how much he was getting paid, cos he was not worth it.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,625 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't think the line between "gay" and "straight" is as black and white as Westerners make it out to be -- probably because of the mix-up between sexuality and religion that your culture has burdened itself with.  People who are not so strongly inclined to be gay that the conclusion must be faced are afraid to admit, even to themselves, that they have such inclinations now and then, or they suppress them.

In cultures where this "fear" that "I might be gay" is not found, people are far more homo-erotic than Americans ever allow, although they don't actually have sex except as teenagers -- preferring their spouses.

#22    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 19 February 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I don't think the line between "gay" and "straight" is as black and white as Westerners make it out to be --

What you have said is what we have been through already.

We have religions here from all over the world which does not accept gay people, personally, I think that if people come to live in a western country, they must accept it is far more acceptable here than it was years ago.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#23    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostCoffey, on 19 February 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

If I was a millionaire I would bet my entire fortune that the program you mention was not staged. His entire reputation is on the line with all of his stunts, and he would never risk it. Besides, how can you say the guy's acting was bad? If he was acting, it was as real as they come. Just because he didn't react in the same way as actors in horror films? I saw true terror in the man's face.

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,625 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I have no doubt gayness as a "condition" is now accepted, at least in the cosmopolitan areas of the US.  Still, you don't see men or women holding hands or hugging or whatever as you do other places, unless it is understood that they are "gay."

Most cultures, until they come into contact with Western ideas, have no idea that such a thing as "gay" exists independently of human sexuality.  People of the same sex who are good friends get far more intimate than would ever be imagined in the states -- I won't get into details but mutual back-scratching conveys the idea) without any idea of traditional sex or of sexual role playing.

Buddhism frowns on almost any sexuality as a desire getting in the way of those who pursue Nirvana, but for that matter they have the same attitude about the food they are compelled to eat (don't you dare eat something delicious), so referring to these attitudes is unpersuasive about general views.

#25    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 19 February 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

If I was a millionaire I would bet my entire fortune that the program you mention was not staged. His entire reputation is on the line with all of his stunts, and he would never risk it. Besides, how can you say the guy's acting was bad? If he was acting, it was as real as they come. Just because he didn't react in the same way as actors in horror films? I saw true terror in the man's face.

Well i thought it was utter rubbish and think the guy was in on it.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#26    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,455 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Derren Brown totally denies this. Some of his tweets on the subject:

Derren Brown ‏@DerrenBrown

Article in @TheSunNewspaper saying my next show is about changing sexuality: total rubbish. Thanks 4 that, being printed everywhere as fact.

Exclusive: the next show is changing the Sun into a publication that reports facts.

Telegraph running the made-up Sun story about next show too. Odd, seeing as in original GT article I said changing sexuality WOULDN'T work.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#27    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

it sounds interesting and I want to watch it.
I am not sure how you can make a straight guy Gay?
Problem is how are we supposed to know whether he's not Bi to start off with?
And the Gay guy becoming Straight. Same thing how do we not know he isn't Bi.
I am not sure it's possible to make a chap like Graham Norton Straight.
I think it's kind of cruel as well on both of them.

#28    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

if it's from the sun then it's obvious codswallop and think it's wrong that there lying about derren brown.

#29    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 19 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

Derren Brown totally denies this. Some of his tweets on the subject:

Of course he would never do that. If he did, he would be proving that people are not born homosexual and that would destroy his reputation in the gay community. Strangely enough, he seems to challenge the "impossible" all the time, yet he says that "changing sexuality wouldn't work"? Why? Because he's gay himself and if successful, it would make him look foolish.

As for how "western civilization" deals with homosexuality, it's not the issue of having fantasies or "moments", it's acting on those "purely sexual" urges. Straight men seemingly "turn" gay during long stints in prison. So, were they "born that way"?

By the way, being gay is the big thing in America these days. Whatever is floated as pop culture and supported by the media is what Americans accept.

#30    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Fat and complacent

• 25,885 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 February 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

What you have said is what we have been through already.

We have religions here from all over the world which does not accept gay people,
The Abrahamic religions, i.e. those that are based on the old Testament, perhaps, but that shows in itself how "anti-gay" prejudice is predominantly an artificial thing, resulting from over-literal interpretation of ancient laws that have very little relevance to any modern society.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users