Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do Colors Look The Same For All Of Us?

colors colours see same

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

It’s probably one of the most basic philosophical questions of childhood; “What if what I see as red is what you see as green, and we just never know?!”

http://www.gizmodo.c...-for-all-of-us/

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,165 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well, differentiating between red and green leads one of us to being colour blind...

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,034 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I know lots of artists and they can discern and mix colors exactly from what I'm told. I'm extremely color blind, which is very frustrating in getting dressed and decorating the house. My husband doesn't mind it at all, because I'm not very enthusiastic about redecorating. I hate asking someone to go shopping with me to make sure I get the right colors and our friends don't make fun of things I pick out any more. :D

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,995 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm not sure if all of us see colors as the same.  Like red for instance, we might all see it as red but we could be seeing it as different shades of red.  If your color blind you would see colors way differently as other people.

#5    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,704 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Qualia has always been a biatch that reductive materialists like to ignore. They also hate the accounts of people born blind who have experienced vision during NDE's.

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,165 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostMichelle, on 18 February 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I know lots of artists and they can discern and mix colors exactly from what I'm told. I'm extremely color blind, which is very frustrating in getting dressed and decorating the house. My husband doesn't mind it at all, because I'm not very enthusiastic about redecorating. I hate asking someone to go shopping with me to make sure I get the right colors and our friends don't make fun of things I pick out any more. :D

It's worse to go shopping with a completely blind person, Michelle. I did that once with a friend when she visited and I was always afraid that when she went home, her friends would see the clothes and wonder what the hell I was thinking suggesting certain colours or clothes to her. :P I'll go shopping with someone colour blind over someone just blind any day.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 18 February 2013 - 09:03 PM.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Ive always loved this mystery.

my only evidence would be fashion runway shows and based on that Id say no.

Edited by AsteroidX, 18 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#8    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,034 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 18 February 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

It's worse to go shopping with a completely blind person, Michelle. I did that once with a friend when she visited and I was always afraid that when she went home, her friends would see the clothes and wonder what the hell I was thinking suggesting certain colours or clothes to her. :P I'll go shopping with someone colour blind over someone just blind any day.

:w00t:

My husband worked with a guy once that was very color blind. They always knew when his wife was mad at him because he would come to work in the most ridiculous clothes. At least when I'm told something goes together I remember. I make marks on the tag sometimes, in case I forget, but everything goes with blue or black jeans.

#9    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,305 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

hMM maybe

#10    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,704 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostMichelle, on 18 February 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

:w00t:

My husband worked with a guy once that was very color blind. They always knew when his wife was mad at him because he would come to work in the most ridiculous clothes. At least when I'm told something goes together I remember. I make marks on the tag sometimes, in case I forget, but everything goes with blue or black jeans.

Imagine a poor blind guy whose wife are mad at him. Me might come to work in a clown costume. :P

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,170 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

People do not all see the same colour,but they see different shades of that colour,and you do not "get" colour blind like catching a virus,you are born with it and its with you for life.I've read recently that scientists are developing spectacles that will enable colour blind people  to see colours properly,but like anything new they are expensive, about £400.00 each ($600.00 est).I always get a friendly arguement when I say an article is green,my Senior Officer (Wife) will say thats Turquoise not green, so I'll see something which I consider "turquoise", and lo its guarenteed to be green.Thats life I guess.I know my blood is green I think,hee hee.

Edited by spud the mackem, 18 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#12    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,937 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostMichelle, on 18 February 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Ahhh, so you're color blind!  That explains so much.

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,034 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostIamsSon, on 18 February 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

Ahhh, so you're color blind!  That explains so much.

:D

My husband still kids me about being color blind and thinking he was white when he is mostly Native American.

#14    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Keanu, what do you think, bro?

Posted Image

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#15    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,890 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

It often seems to me that my right eye has just a touch more red, and my left a touch more green.

I think everyone looking at Green sees Green, but the vibrancy, richness, and brightness probably vary from person to person.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

Also tagged with colors, colours, see, same

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users