Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

were UFOs ever spotted before the 20th

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

just wondering where there ever reports of UFOs before 20th century?
And Aliens

#2    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'll tell you that UFO phenomena exploded shortly after WW2, i wonder if it is connected to german saucer craft designs and technologies...  Yet there are pictures showing saucer shaped crafts before ww2, that is still abit of mystery..

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#3    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

People through out history have seen areal phenomenon they couldnt explain

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#4    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

One Example that says yes:

#5    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Only to those that support the ancient alien 'theory'. Problem with them is they tend to want to separate cash from those that might want to know or their faithful followers. Also you have to believe in a global multi- thousands of year conspiracies to hide the 'truth'.

Seeing as there is no irrefutably evidence for the current UFO's = aliens I would say it is wishful thinking or willful ignorance to say they were here in the past. JMO.

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,620 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postali smack, on 19 February 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

just wondering where there ever reports of UFOs before 20th century?
And Aliens

I think an issue is, who 'could' they report it too? A librarian records keeper? I mean lets imagine the scene, you're in a field sowing some veggies, you see something flash/glimmer zoom by, whatever - in the sky...and you think "hmmm, thats odd"...

But not having heard the term UFO or words like aliens before... what are you s'posed to think? The only thing that was probably seen often was shooting stars with the lack of light pollution, so you may just think its something like that

Nowadays we see odd lights and WE KNOW the terms UFO, flying saucer, aliens etc...but back then?  So you go home to your family or have an ale at the inn, (subtle pun intended, ale-inn)....and if it was a sighting curious enough to make you tell others.... they may just shrug at your 'lamp in the sky' description and be totally un-interested  You see today we, well lots of folk anyway, would somewhat automatically think something strange in the skies is a ufo...based on current understanding....but back then?

Anyway yes there have been reports in history... see following link and pick some links for yourself

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...re 20th century

Edited by seeder, 19 February 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#7    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,646 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostEsoteric Toad, on 19 February 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Only to those that support the ancient alien 'theory'.

You should start a thread on that.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,620 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Only to those that support the ancient alien 'theory'.

View PostSweetpumper, on 19 February 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

You should start a thread on that.

Noooooooo!!  Enough already!! :no: :w00t:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,831 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

probably weird sights were attributed to spirits, gods and fairies. Fairies were also known to abduct people, especially infants and women.

Finally got my black belt....

#10    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,405 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Undoubtedly they were; one that's fairly well known is the "Mystery Airships" of the late 19th c. It's only really since the 1940s that the idea that lights and shiny objects in the Skies might be craft from other Planets has taken root in the popular imagination; before that they were thought of as either aircraft or airships, and before that, they'd have been thought of as religious visions, heavenly hosts, fiery chariots and so on. They've always been about, it's just the way that people have thought of them that's changed, I would say.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#11    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,405 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Only to those that support the ancient alien 'theory'. Problem with them is they tend to want to separate cash from those that might want to know or their faithful followers. Also you have to believe in a global multi- thousands of year conspiracies to hide the 'truth'.

Seeing as there is no irrefutably evidence for the current UFO's = aliens I would say it is wishful thinking or willful ignorance to say they were here in the past. JMO.
i'm afraid that doesn't seem very logical; what you seem to be doing is equating UFOs with Extraterrestrial spacecraft yourself to draw that conclusion. It might be Wishful thiking or wilful ingorance (and what a favourite phrase of the skeptickal fraternity that is) to assume that extraterrestrial spacecraft were seen in the skies back in the olden days, but to assume that there were no sightings of unexplained objects (which we would nwo call UFOs) really seems a bit of a leap to a conclusion that you've decided on in advance, I'm afraid to say.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#12    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 19 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

What a crock.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#13    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,107 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 19 February 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

*face palm* as soon as I saw the title of this thread I knew stuff like this would come up..

the short answer is ali.. no.. there is a long answer for no as well.. but I am checking this before I head to work :D so I dont have the time.. forget the whole ufo's in art.. hieroglyphics etc..

#14    Amerix

Amerix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

People have looked to the sky and scratched their heads for centuries.  Thanks to scientific research, most of those "sightings" can be explained as natural weather phenomenon (ie: Ball Lightening, etc)

#15    lesliepookie

lesliepookie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• Improving mankind for womankind
    . Unleash your sensuality.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

IN the bible they were called angels or cherubim, but I think they were describing their vehicles,probes, or whatever.Why would angels need wheels?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users