Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

were UFOs ever spotted before the 20th

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#46    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Didn't Thomas Jefferson have a UFO story?

#47    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,490 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

http://www.ufodigest...homas-jefferson

:yes:
sounds rather like a meteorite or aerofoil.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#48    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

I would love to see an atmospheric phenomena I think that would be incredible

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#49    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 19 March 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Go North!

Posted Image

#50    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

View Postscowl, on 19 March 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Go North!

Posted Image
Is that the Northern Lights ?

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#51    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,968 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

No, it's the refrigerator lights.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#52    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 19 March 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Your wish has been granted :D

Edit: this are not aliens or alien UFOs but indeed it is ufo, some sort of weather phenomena.

Edited by Tesla II, 20 March 2013 - 06:00 PM.

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#53    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,248 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Started as UFO phenomena and so one guy spent a small fortune to try to analyze it, do a google on blue box ufo project... it all came down too a unknown weather phenomena. He gave hes findings to many many scientist and they couldnt explain it.

The lights have no structure or any value of any metalic compound. They are like some sort of energy or charged particles of something unknown. Good stuff!

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#54    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostTesla II, on 20 March 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Started as UFO phenomena and so one guy spent a small fortune to try to analyze it, do a google on blue box ufo project... it all came down too a unknown weather phenomena. He gave hes findings to many many scientist and they couldnt explain it.

The lights have no structure or any value of any metalic compound. They are like some sort of energy or charged particles of something unknown. Good stuff!
That is good stuff this planet is amazing

Edited by R4z3rsPar4d0x, 20 March 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#55    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,114 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

Except that the Tulli Papyrus is a hoax. It never was an original "found" document, some Italian fellow claimed to have found it in a curio shop, took a copy of the text, and had that translated. There is just so much wrong with that claim I do not know where to begin, not to mention two different interpretations. Alberto Tulli was apparently at best an amateur Egyptologist, and its translator Prince de Rachelwitz remains the only authority upon whose word alone we must trust as an accurate report of its contents. Rather than an actual document, it is merely a rumour of a document. It more likely never even existed, it most certainly does not today.
The Byland Abbey case was a confessed hoax. Paul Thomas's Flying Saucers through the ages notes two undergraduates admitted to it in 1965.

975]
Authors Desmond and Adamski comment: "What probably happened is that a flying saucer did, in fact, pass over Byland Abbey at the close of the thirteenth century and that the astute Abbott Henry seized the opportunity to admonish Wilfred for his carryings on, and the community for their lack of piety."
Then, in Paul Thomas's Flying Saucers through the ages (1965), we read the following: "...in Yorkshire, a flat shining disk flew over the monastery of Byland. (Translater's note: There are grave doubts on the genuineness of this. Two Oxford undergraduates admitted to me in 1956 that they forged this document for a joke -- but there is nothing to prove that they really did so!) (emphasis--SR).
After wondering why the translator did not, in the nine years between 1956 and 1965, seek to verify the ancient manuscript by means of a visit, letter or phone call to "Ampleforth Abbey", I began my own investigation. The British information Service in New York verified the existence of Ampleforth Abbey, now a Benedictine College, in York, England. Then, I cabled a friend, Mr. John Haggarty, in London, and asked him to verify the existence and contents of the "Byland Abbey manuscript." Haggarty cabled promptly:

HAVE CHECKED WITH COLLEGE STOP AMPLEFORTH DOCUMENT A HOAX PERPETRATED BY TWO SIXTH FORM BOYS IN LETTER TO TIMES (LONDON) REGARDS

Such a fabricated "UFO report" has been used for the greater glory of the new mythology in Let's Face the Facts About Flying Saucers, (Green, 1967).
The authors have offered their own enlarged and embellished version of the "Byland Abbey sighting," complete with some nifty, monk-type

LINK

Pretty much all the other accounts sound an awful lot like meteorites. Jacques Vallee is considered a heretic of the UFO movement.

60GCAT: You’re a bit of a controversial figure among UFO researchers, mainly because you entertain theories more exotic than the UFOs-are-from-outer-space paradigm.

Vallee: I’ve antagonized a number of the believers in UFOs. Number one, because I’m not ready to jump to any conclusion that it’s necessarily extraterrestrial--we’re not smart enough to know what they are at this point. And the research has not been done. I certainly remember enough of my training in astronomy to tell you that the universe is big enough to have other forms of life than us; at least we hope that it does. But so far we cannot prove it. So we cannot see how they would come here--they probably would be much advanced with respect to our physics, and they would have found a way to do it. But that does not explain UFOs.

I’ve also antagonized a lot of people because I think that the way abductions are being handled is wrong. It’s not only wrong scientifically, it’s wrong morally and ethically. I’ve been telling people, don’t let anyone hypnotize you if you’ve seen a strange light in the sky. I think a lot of those people prominent in the press and in the National Enquirer and in the talk shows and so on are creating abductees under hypnosis. They are hypnotizing everybody who’s ever had a strange experience and telling them they are abductees by suggestion. And they are doing that in good faith. They don’t realize what they are doing. But to my way of thinking, that’s unethical.

LINK

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#56    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,484 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 20 March 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

One of the first written accounts of a UFO sighting - a fleet of flying saucers, perhaps - is the following excerpt from an Egyptian papyrus - part of the annals of Thutmose III, who reigned around 1504-1450 B.C.:

In the year 22, of the 3rd month of winter, sixth hour of the day... the scribes of the House of Life found it was a circle of fire that was coming in the sky.... It had no head, the breath of its mouth had a foul odor. Its body one rod long and one rod wide. It had no voice. Their hearts became confused through it; then they laid themselves on their bellies....They went to the Pharaoh... to report it. His Majesty ordered .... [an examination of] all which is written in the papyrus rolls of the House of Life. His Majesty was meditating upon what happened. Now after some days had passed, these things became more numerous in the sky than ever. They shone more in the sky than the brightness of the sun, and extended to the limits of the four supports of the heavens.... Powerful was the position of the fire circles. The army of the Pharaoh looked on with him in their midst. It was after supper. Thereupon, these fire circles ascended higher in the sky towards the south... The Pharaoh caused incense to be brought to make peace on the hearth... And what happened was ordered by the Pharaoh to be written in the annals of the House of Life... so that it be remembered for ever.

[Brinsley Le Poer Trench, The Flying Saucer Story, pp.81-82]  

Posted Image

Context is the key to understanding ancient languages and images.

The Ancient Egyptian Mouth hieroglyph is Gardiner sign listed no. D21 for the shape of the mouth, being open, (therefore also implying a use for speech). The word 'mouth' was pronounced *rāˀ and there could be many more.

The mouth hieroglyph is used in the Ancient Egyptian language hieroglyphs for the alphabetic consonant letter r.[1]

The symbol is also used in the representation of unit fractions; a number preceded by a mouth indicates its inverse. Example fraction hieroglyphs: Posted Image (d22) Posted Image (d23)

http://en.wikipedia....th_(hieroglyph)

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#57    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

So one or two of those ancient sightings have been discovered to be hoaxes?

Yeah, that must DEFINITELY mean that UFOs were not seen centuries ago.

#58    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 21 March 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Context is the key to understanding ancient languages and images.

http://en.wikipedia....th_(hieroglyph)

Why does that hieroglyph in the photo look different to the one in the diagram?

#59    Pssst

Pssst

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostTesla II, on 19 February 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'll tell you that UFO phenomena exploded shortly after WW2, i wonder if it is connected to german saucer craft designs and technologies...  Yet there are pictures showing saucer shaped crafts before ww2, that is still abit of mystery..

Close.  The phenomena turned into hysteria after the 1938 War of the Worlds radio show.

As for the OP, yes UFOs have been reported in 19th century newspapers and in earlier documents.  What they actually were is left to scrutiny.  http://voices.yahoo.com/the-most-famous-ufo-sitings-19th-century-1807045.html

#60    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,968 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 21 March 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Why does that hieroglyph in the photo look different to the one in the diagram?
It's called photoshop.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users