Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Should Babies Be Genetically Engineered?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Designing Life: Should Babies Be Genetically Engineered?

NEW YORK — The increasing power and accessibility of genetic technology may one day give parents the option of modifying their unborn children, in order to spare offspring from disease or, conceivably, make them tall, well muscled, intelligent or otherwise blessed with desirable traits.
Would this change mean empowering parents to give their children the best start possible? Or would it meandesigner babies who could face unforeseen genetic problems? Experts debated on Wednesday evening (Feb. 13) whether prenatal engineering should be banned in the United States.
Humans have already genetically modified animals and crops, said Sheldon Krimsky, a philosopher at Tufts University, who argued in favor of a ban on the same for human babies. "But in the hundreds of thousands of trails that failed, we simply discarded the results of the unwanted crop or animal."

Source: http://www.livescien...ies-debate.html

Posted Image

~MEH~

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,316 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

So what happens to all the medicines to make people better and the surgeons and doctors to help people? Will they all go out of business if in the future everyone was born "perfect"?  Can`t see the pharmaceutical companies agreeing to stop trading because they are not needed anymore, they would soon put a stop to that by finding a way to produce something the perfect race would be allergic to.

First I can not see how they can be sure the child will be perfect, as you mention with the crops, it does not always work and then what happens to all the children who have been born and have not turned out as planned?

#3    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

If it works then yes. With every advancement comes faults but for the most part, GM crops work. Hell, birth rates aren't 100% perfect are they?

Even natural birth has it's messed up outcomes too: Down syndrome, paralysis, and a whole range of genetic and birth defects. You can't blame us for trying to fix ourselves in the long run, I think it's a good idea.

Edited by Sean93, 19 February 2013 - 02:02 PM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#4    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hmm, I suppose a bottle opener in the back of their head or some kind of 'sleep' button could be handy...

Posted Image

#5    Khamical X

Khamical X

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• Spite what you think or was taught
    I come from the Land of Milk & Blood !

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I think its a bad idea. Genetically modified anything is whole-heartedly unnatural. One of the main reasons why there are so many diseases is becauce of modified food etc.. If its not natural then theres no point in continuing with the process.

#6    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

That would be a good project to do on Mars.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,316 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostSean93, on 19 February 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

If it works then yes. With every advancement comes faults but for the most part, GM crops work. Hell, birth rates aren't 100% perfect are they?

Even natural birth has it's messed up outcomes too: Down syndrome, paralysis, and a whole range of genetic and birth defects. You can't blame us for trying to fix ourselves in the long run, I think it's a good idea.

A lot of the defects today could well be down to the GM foods we have been eating over the years. With all the research and medicines, you would think that today we would have avoided so many of the defects.

But as I said, what happens to those who do not turn out as planned? would not surprise me if there are some Frankensteins who have been trying this already, but they are not going to tell us about the "mistakes". We will hear about the success when they are ready to tell us.

#8    ali smack

ali smack

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I say NO!
I am all for destroying illness and disease but don't want genetically modified babies.
I'd rather just have a baby and be surprised with the little dude/dudette.

#9    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

The rise in autism and ADHD I believe can largely be related to environmental/social issues. So yeah Ill take the stand I do on GMO foods only I dont believe this should be even experimented with at our current state of evolution. Just because we can doesnt mean we should. It can always be done at a later time when were more mature as a species.

#10    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,933 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

IMO, absolutely not.  I don't agree with any way shape or form of Genetically Modified food or humans.

Edited by glorybebe, 19 February 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#11    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Genetic therapy to prevent a child being born with a serious defect?... Yes! 100% in favor...
Genetic engineering to 'design' a 'perfect baby'? Absolutely 100% NO...

#12    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Genetic therapy to prevent a child being born with a serious defect?... Yes! 100% in favor...
Genetic engineering to 'design' a 'perfect baby'? Absolutely 100% NO...

I do not foresee us as capable of doing one without the other.

#13    Solipsi Rai

Solipsi Rai

...from the Desert...

• 2,865 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

It's ethical to eradicate genes known to cause disease and illness interfere with the function of living, but I disagree on the idea of genetic modification to make someone "perfect" or more "desirable", the risks are too high in bioethics to manifest in the field of eugenics on making "designer" babies or "better" humans.

As someone diagnosed with autism in a young age in the 1980s, I can't imagine what processes are under way to prevent autism from showing up in babies in the future. I don't say it's purely a "good idea" because autism isn't a death sentence and making autism less favorable is a slippery slope.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate, 19 February 2013 - 05:10 PM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#14    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

This would change the elitists into super-elitists! Shades of Gattaca anyone?

#15    Solipsi Rai

Solipsi Rai

...from the Desert...

• 2,865 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 19 February 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

This would change the elitists into super-elitists! Shades of Gattaca anyone?

...or the shades of Nazism which dreamt of a "master race" of diabolical proportions to weed out certain people based on ethnicity, disability, alleged "weaknesses" and the risk of future illnesses. Have they possessed the scientific technology we have today will be downright frightening (an example of the down side of eugenics).

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users