Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Truth behind The Bible

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#106    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• "If you never doubt your beliefs, then youre wrong a lot"

"Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow"

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

You probably have greater knowlegde then me about it..

Have you read 30 pieces of silver... Interesting book about Jesus being a set up

#107    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

Is Buddhism a set of beliefs, a philosophy, a way of interpreting one's role in the universe?  That's what I would call a religion.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#108    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I would say that is the philosophy part of religions, and can be done without the religion part as is seen in the Western philosophical tradition.

#109    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't want to put words in your mouth; are you saying that religion specifically deals with a god, whereas philosophies focus on self? (or something like that)

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#110    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

"Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow"

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

I always assoicated religion with "God" having to do what "God" wants and so on

#111    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well as you know Buddhism doesn't have gods, exactly (at least most forms of it), so saying Buddhism is a religion does not mean it is a theistic religion.

But otherwise it walks, flies, swims and talks just like a religion.  It doesn't have priests but there are plenty of monks who often play a priest-like role.  It has special places of "worship," lots of rituals and prayers and other such religious stuff.  It is very un-dogmatic, but, still, the vast majority of Buddhists believe pretty much the same things, although you have no creed or any sort of doctrinal discipline.

#112    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Why do you call it religion I call it a philosophy

#113    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think I will start a new thread: Is Buddhism a philosophy or a religion?

#114    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

good idea

#115    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,664 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostToadie, on 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Not important for me to insist it. I'm just giving my opinion which I believe to be more correct then your opinion that it is religion.

This what I think. Religion tells us what to believe and why something is so. Buddhism challenges the way you look at something.
Religion creates "faith" and worshipping a God whereas buddhism doesn't require faith or worship in God.
Religion creates this need for people to pray to a God so they can be helped whereas Buddhism shows you how to meditate

Apart from the fact that in general terms, including academically and philoophically, buddhism IS defined as a religious faith, (For example a study of comaprative religions will always include buddhism) this sounds like simple prejudgement or perhaps ignorance, on your part.

Why think that, say, christianity tells people what to think or how to act and buddhism does not?  Buddhists are told very explicitly how it is most productive to think and act.

To be a buddhist you have to have both inner beliefs and outer actions or rituals That is just the same for christianity or any other religion.  Buddhism describes a path and a destination. Christianity certainly does exaclty the same. Buddhism connects how we live with the outcomes we have in life. Christianity does exactly the same. Buddhism has internal rationales. So does christianity (and for christianity substitute almost any modern religion in these statements.

Of course buddhism requires faith. To be a buddhist is to act in faith. And many forms of buddhism do involve a god, but just conceptualised and named in a different way.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#116    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,664 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 07 March 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

I would say that is the philosophy part of religions, and can be done without the religion part as is seen in the Western philosophical tradition.
This is true but it is also true of faiths such as christianity, judaism and islam, among others. They can all be approached, belonged to, and appreciated, as a philosophical and personal way of life, rather than as a monolithic, hierachical, and authoritative religion.

For example i 'do" christianity as a personal, philosophical, and practical way of life. I dont have an outer religion or an inner religious belief which shapes  or drives me, or limits me, but i do have a personal relationship with the universal or cosmic consciousness via enlightenment and lifestyle. I live "at one" with the univeral consciousness and, as far as a physical being can, I live at one with the physical world as well.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#117    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 09 March 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

For example i 'do" christianity as a personal, philosophical, and practical way of life. I dont have an outer religion or an inner religious belief which shapes  or drives me, or limits me, but i do have a personal relationship with the universal or cosmic consciousness via enlightenment and lifestyle. I live "at one" with the univeral consciousness and, as far as a physical being can, I live at one with the physical world as well.
I can't help but say that this doesn't sound "Christian."  It sounds maybe Transcendental or Taoist or something.  You don't mention a relationship with Jesus or his sacrifice, which is how I identify Christian mystics.

#118    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,824 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

a Buddha carryin' a crozz

:yes:

:)

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#119    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

My begging bowl is smaller than yours.  Nya Nya.

#120    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,824 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 March 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

My begging bowl is smaller than yours.  Nya Nya.

and ... it must be full otherwise the bottom will be too deep to reach

:whistle:

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users