Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Truth behind The Bible

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#91    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• "If you never doubt your beliefs, then youre wrong a lot"

"Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow"

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Not important for me to insist it. I'm just giving my opinion which I believe to be more correct then your opinion that it is religion.

This what I think. Religion tells us what to believe and why something is so. Buddhism challenges the way you look at something.
Religion creates "faith" and worshipping a God whereas buddhism doesn't require faith or worship in God.
Religion creates this need for people to pray to a God so they can be helped whereas Buddhism shows you how to meditate

#92    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,959 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yes Buddhism is spiritual, kinda, but without spirits.  I think I know what you say and tend to agree that Buddhism is different from other religions.  The thing is, all religions are different from each other or they wouldn't be different religions.

We have to use words as much as possible the way people ordinary use them, and people think of Buddhism as being a religion.  They do the same to Confucianism, and it certainly is far more philosophy than religion.

#93    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

"Life's not always fair. Sometimes you can get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow"

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't know what confucianism is so I can not comment on that.

Religion creates war.

#94    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,959 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostToadie, on 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Not important for me to insist it. I'm just giving my opinion which I believe to be more correct then your opinion that it is religion.

This what I think. Religion tells us what to believe and why something is so. Buddhism challenges the way you look at something.
Oh yes, you got that right.

Religion creates "faith" and worshipping a God whereas buddhism doesn't require faith or worship in God.
Belief without reason and evidence, what I see as "faith" is anathema in a lot of Buddhist texts.  So I agree with you.

Buddhism is not mainly about meditating.  In fact around the world it is actively taught mainly to just monks (Westerners who want meditative skill being the main exception).  The main things I would say Buddhism is about is compassion, personal responsibility, moderation, tolerance, and I'm sure other things that will occur to me after I've posted this.

#95    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 9,413 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"
    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Men creates war

religion was just the most effective means of enslaving minds to perpetuate the bloodletting

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#96    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,959 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I think it might be possible to say that religion is often the excuse given for wars, but the real motives are greed and enslavement.

#97    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

People need to be more open minded not so one tracked with their religion

#98    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,449 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostToadie, on 07 March 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Religion creates this need for people to pray to a God so they can be helped whereas Buddhism shows you how to meditate
What do youunderstand about Buddhism? Please be more specific than ""Buddhism shows you how to meditate". From my knowledge of Buddhism, Siddhartha Gautama would cringe if his teachings were watered down to such a simplistic view as "Buddha teaches meditation".

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#99    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,959 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 07 March 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Siddhartha Gautama would cringe if his teachings were watered down to such a simplistic view as "Buddha teaches meditation".
Learning good meditation is to me a great start, and a good supplement for life even if one knows nothing more about Buddhism.

This thread is about the Bible, and every moment now I expect a moderator to come down on me <grin> even though I swear my innocence and only respond.

#100    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have only briefly read into Buddhism what I did learn to me did not seem like a religion

#101    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,959 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

There are Buddhists who deliberately leave out the religious aspect, I think they think it increases the religion's appeal.  I don't think we should seek out converts anyway, and especially by putting a Western philosophy gloss over it.  Do me a favor and start a Buddhism thread of some sort not too preachy.

#102    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Getting back on topic I don't think Jesus was son of God.. I think he was just a loony

#103    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,959 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostToadie, on 07 March 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Getting back on topic I don't think Jesus was son of God.. I think he was just a loony
LOL.  Good for you, although I doubt that.  My honest opinion is that he is mostly a myth, maybe completely a myth.  What we have about him is of at least one generation later, and that is assuming we accept the NT time frame, which is hazy at best.

#104    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,449 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 07 March 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Learning good meditation is to me a great start, and a good supplement for life even if one knows nothing more about Buddhism.

This thread is about the Bible, and every moment now I expect a moderator to come down on me <grin> even though I swear my innocence and only respond.
Nevertheless, I think the Buddha would be dismayed if he were to log on to Unexplained-Mysteries.com and read that his legacy was being discussed by us in the West primarily on his views of meditation. It sounds such an oversimplification as to be dishonest about what he actually teaches (I don't claim to be an expert in Buddhism, but I feel I have greater knowledge than most).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#105    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,959 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Of course I agree with you fully.  I enjoy talking about Buddhism and I am a practicing Buddhist, and know a lot, but I don't pretend to expertise.  When I started here I made a promise to myself that I would not try to convert people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users