Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Spontaneous Human Combustion Kills Man?

danny vanzandt ron lockhart spontaneous human combustion sequoyah county

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,383 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Sheriff Ron Lockhart said his office is investigating whether a Sequoyah County, Okla., man died after spontaneously bursting into flames.

“This is a case that I’ve never seen before,” said Lockhart.

The sheriff said 65-year-old Danny Vanzandt’s death might be a rare case of spontaneous human combustion.

http://5newsonline.c...n-sheriff-says/

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,753 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

The moral of this story? Don't have the Vindaloo in the Sequoia Curry Palace!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#3    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Got to be honest, that is something I find scary. I would hope it was isntant death without suffering, seems to happen msotly in peoples sleep.

I did look into it a few years ago, as it intrested me. They shown examples of how msot cases where msot liekly their beds catching fire from a cigerette or lamp etc.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#4    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I almost hate to admit it, but this is one phenomenon that I've never been completely satisfied with any mundane explanation. The one case that troubles me most is where a man's arm began smoldering then just burst into flame. There were no flammable agents near the man, nor did he work with anything that may have caused his arm to suddenly combust.

There may very well be a simple explanation, but I've yet to find it.

#5    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,259 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

I cannot say I know what causes such either, I remember some rather intriguing photographs when I was quite young and collecting the weekly magazine "The Unexplained". Some victims seem to have burned leaving one body part, like an arm or something, yet the chair they were sitting in is still there. It will be interesting to see if anyone has followed this, I have not heard of a case for years.

I remember seeing this one more than once:

*snip*

One very interesting thing to come from the investigations is that almost all cases of SHC involve persons with low mobility, due to advanced age or obesity, along with poor health. Victims show a high likelihood of dying in their sleep, or of being unable to move once they had caught fire.

Edited by Saru, 20 February 2013 - 10:49 AM.
Removed graphic/copyrighted image

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#6    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Arthur C. Clarke's "Mysterious Universe" covered this topic in Episode 8. The series is available still on 1MDB (I think)

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostCoffey, on 19 February 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Got to be honest, that is something I find scary. I would hope it was isntant death without suffering...

Surviving victims report to not felt at any moment any heat. They didnt felt pain at all.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#8    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

There are probably explanations for the reported cases, but I am agnostic on this. It just might be that some abnormal body chemistry makes this possible. Although in that case there should also be "spontaneous animal combustion" in other mammals, which is something we don´t hear about. Or when is the last time we heard about about a burning gorilla?

So I give this very low odds.

Edited by Zaphod222, 20 February 2013 - 10:28 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#9    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 20 February 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

There are probably explanations for the reported cases, but I am agnostic on this. It just might be that some abnormal body chemistry makes this possible. Although in that case there should also be "spontaneous animal combustion" in other mammals, which is something we don´t hear about. Or when is the last time we heard about about a burning gorilla?

I am about the same way of thinking on this zaphod,though we humans do put far more unnatural things in our bodies than most animals.So i would say a small possibility this could be real.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#10    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Considering the amount of stuff ingested by humans that shouldn't be there, just in normal food, imagine what people with a disorder do. there are people known to eat paper, sand, drink weird stuff etc, I'm often surprised it doesn't happen more often.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#11    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have often wondered if there is a correlation between these events and that of the metabolic production of acetone in the body from diabetic ketoacidosis. Could these people be suffering from an extreme diabetic reaction and then they decide to perhaps smoke a cigarette?

#12    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,205 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 20 February 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

I have often wondered if there is a correlation between these events and that of the metabolic production of acetone in the body from diabetic ketoacidosis. Could these people be suffering from an extreme diabetic reaction and then they decide to perhaps smoke a cigarette?

Well, what an interesting hypothesis. :yes:  It's a subject I've read about and that is a really down to earth explanation. I have no idea if you're right or not but sounds reasonable. Yes, many of the victims have been elderly people found dead in their houses and I get the smoking cigarettes and the bedding or their nightclothes catch fire.

But there is a case I read about in the 1930's  about a  dance in Scotland I think and the girl caught fire while dancing and she died. Neither she or her dance partner were smoking.

#13    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I completely agree with you,

"seemed like a long slow fire lasting more than ten hours"

It seems to me that he was already dead before he caught fire.
Thanks the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with.
Most probably it seems like a murder if they couldn't find any signs of accident at his house.

#14    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 20 February 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

I cannot say I know what causes such either, I remember some rather intriguing photographs when I was quite young and collecting the weekly magazine "The Unexplained". Some victims seem to have burned leaving one body part, like an arm or something, yet the chair they were sitting in is still there. It will be interesting to see if anyone has followed this, I have not heard of a case for years.

I remember seeing this one more than once:

I loved remember that one,... from back in the days.  One of my first encounters with the paranormal mysteries out there. That and UFOs.

http://gaizy.hubpage...eous-Combustion

Edited by Hazzard, 20 February 2013 - 02:51 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#15    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Postthe L, on 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

Surviving victims report to not felt at any moment any heat. They didnt felt pain at all.

Oh wow, i never knew there was survivers of it. I need to look into that. Thanks. :tu:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users