Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Cryptozoology Project

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    MechPenProdigy

MechPenProdigy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."
    Carl Jung

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

So, I'm a member of the Slippery Rock Paranormal Club at Slippery Rock University. We are hosting a big event to try and recruit members. I am working at a table dedicated to cryptozoology, and I need to come up with five cryptids commonly discussed in Native American lore. At the moment, I will be discussing the Thunderbird and the Wendigo. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
- Norman Vincent Peale -

#2    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,498 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

This thread might be helpful... http://www.unexplain...showtopic=40876

I like the pukwudgie. Little people of the woods.

Edited by rashore, 19 February 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,142 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thunderbird and Wendigo are good. Also, to some degree, Sassquatch (Bigfoot). Also, as mentioned in the linked thread, Piasa Bird. And then there is the Shunka Warakin, which is like a wolf-hyena hybrid like critter.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Sasquatch, is probably one of the better known. The First People of America were already familair with Bigfoot, "the hairy giant" long before the European invasions, Thunderbird again is another popular cryptid along with the Skinwalker, in many Native tribes, the Navajo especially believed in the shape shifting Skinwalkers.

Edited by xsas, 19 February 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,612 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

The Honest Politician?  Talked about and wished for, for millenia, but never actually seen.  :(

Good Luck, MechPenProdigy!

Edited by Eldorado, 19 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#6    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

The moth man is a good crypto but I'm not sure how long its been doing the rounds for you would have to look it up. :unsure2:

#7    cryptidexpert100

cryptidexpert100

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Skinwalkers are really good, The Jersey Devil actually has some connections to Native American history if you want to give that a go

#8    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postcryptidexpert100, on 19 February 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Skinwalkers are really good, The Jersey Devil actually has some connections to Native American history if you want to give that a go

I know stories of the Jersey Devil date back to Native American folklore and the Lenape tribes of the Pine Barrens and I know members of the Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape and non believe or know of any encounters of the Jersey Devil.

The Jersey Devil started as an hoax written by Benjamin Franklin in 1730's in his 'Pennsylvania Gazette'. to mock witch hunts In 1730's I believe it was published in the 'London Gentleman's Gazette'.

Posted Image

#9    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

I like the Memegwesi and the Mannegishi. They remind me and Karl Shuker of the Dover Demon in certain respects: "The Memegwesi is a Chippewa (Ojibwa) creature of myth. It is described as being a small (even described as child-sized), hairy, large-headed water spirit. It is sometimes even said to have a narrow face and no nose and make a strange noise. The Mannegishi is myth of the Cree Indians in eastern Canada. It is said to be small, human-like and have slender legs and arms, of which two hands have six fingers each. It has a large, round and bald head with large eyes. Although, it lacks any nose, similar to some descriptions of the Memegwesi."

Posted Image

#10    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Sasquatch, Ogopogo, and Jackalope (for laughs)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users