Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada's NEW Office of Religious Freedom

acidhead

Canada's NEW Office of Religious Freedom

Feb. 19, 2013

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/scholar-andrew-bennett-to-lead-canada-s-office-of-religious-freedom-1.1162231

The federal government has appointed a Christian college dean to head up Canada’s new, controversial Office of Religious Freedom.

Andrew Bennett, the Catholic dean of Augustine College, a Christian liberal arts school in Ottawa, has been tasked with promoting religious freedom around the world and monitoring persecution of religious minorities.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper had promised to establish the office as a branch of the Department of Foreign Affairs during the 2011 federal election campaign.

continued...

Yet another GOV department. What a complete waste of money and freedom.

• Like 1

Im persecuted where do I sign up. Its horrible being a HIndu in America.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 1

Im persecuted where do I sign up. Its horrible being a HIndu in America.

What a stupid comment.

If you want to see persecution of Hindus, visit Pakistan or any other Shariah country.

• Like 1

No thanks Im going to Canada.

• Like 3

Waste of money? Yes. Waste of 'freedom'? Wtf are you talking about?

• Like 1

A Catholic leading Religious Freedoms department :unsure2: Isn't that an Oxymoron :innocent:

No. Not really. Catholics stopped persecuting other religions a thousand years ago.

Now, a muslim in charge of this office, that would indeed be a howler, considering the Shariah rules of how to treat infidels.

• Like 2

No. Not really. Catholics stopped persecuting other religions a thousand years ago.

Now, a muslim in charge of this office, that would indeed be a howler, considering the Shariah rules of how to treat infidels.

Sure. Since the year 1013 they did not prosecute any muslims, jews, hindus, sikhs, pagans.... Oh happy times.

While we should encourage religious freedoms I don't see much benefit from this. Foreign Affairs can do this kind of stuff. Money could be better spent.

• Like 2

...the protestans, lutherans, the witches, the astronomers, the blacks, the indians, the bogumils, the homosexuals, the.......... Yeah, I agree. They are so much better then the other religions.

Same crap just a different wraping.

So lets ignore the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Conquistadores, Sahamanism, Paganism, Humanism, etc. All of these still happen today, the Inquisition is STILL an active dept in the Vatican.

• Like 1

...the protestans, lutherans, the witches, the astronomers, the blacks, the indians, the bogumils, the homosexuals, the.......... Yeah, I agree. They are so much better then the other religions.

Same crap just a different wraping.

Umm, I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. Because you have no idea what a religion is based on that list.

OK. In my hypothetical exodus to Canada (I need to be careful of the drones watching me leave you see) I got a response email from this new Office of Religious Freedom and they said I must be heathen because I marked the box Caucasian and then marked the box Hindu..They said I will need to fill out a new form which has not been created yet and will not till after the second coming of Christ. Go figure.

• Like 1

Umm, I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or serious. Because you have no idea what a religion is based on that list.

I sort of do. I just wanted to mention the range besides religion that catholics have not prosecuted since a thousand years.

And yes, there might be a tiny little bit of sarcasm in my posts. Just a bit.

and monitoring persecution of religious minorities.

The first thing that popped into my head was, ".... and making sure that the persecution continues."

Shouldn't the name of the department be the Office of Promoting Religious Freedom? Just the Office of Religious Freedom could easily be to repress such freedom. Just as a Office of Youth Crime would not promote youth crime, it would repress such crime.

• Like 1

Waste of money? Yes. Waste of 'freedom'? Wtf are you talking about?

It's a waste of money to form another GOV department. The money is taken through the use of force to establish and run each GOV department. I don't agree with many GOV departments which suck off the fruits of my labor. It's, IMO, an infringement on my freedom each time the GOV creates yet another department and needs to tax myself to pay for it. It's an infringement on my freedom.because if I refuse to pay I could go to prison.

Get it?!

• Like 4

I have yet to hear back about my application yet as well. Is there some red tape problem with this new agency. I expected first come first served service.

• Like 1

If they can get funding for that, I am sure a few of us can figure out a way to be employed and get a lot of funding from the government for it.

• Like 2

Work it glorybebe. Its there for you. Your awsome btw. :su

My application is number 656. Got in right before the cutoff.

Work it glorybebe. Its there for you. Your awsome btw. :su

My application is number 656. Got in right before the cutoff.

LOL, ok, if I can get funding, you're hired!

• Like 1

The first thing that popped into my head was, ".... and making sure that the persecution continues."

Shouldn't the name of the department be the Office of Promoting Religious Freedom? Just the Office of Religious Freedom could easily be to repress such freedom. Just as a Office of Youth Crime would not promote youth crime, it would repress such crime.

I agree. Minority groups are always being targeted for persecution by the larger majority groups. The bully picks on the smaller guys. Not everybody in the majority is to blame but as long as there is a group to lay blame then another victim is created simply by being accepted as being part of the larger group.

I believe promoting individualism is the best way to promote freedom. It leaves out nobody therefore no new victims are created.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

Damn you !! :td:

It's a waste of money to form another GOV department. The money is taken through the use of force to establish and run each GOV department. I don't agree with many GOV departments which suck off the fruits of my labor. It's, IMO, an infringement on my freedom each time the GOV creates yet another department and needs to tax myself to pay for it. It's an infringement on my freedom.because if I refuse to pay I could go to prison.

Get it?!

Yeah, well you don't know what an infringement of freedom really is then if you're going to take such convoluted steps to call this an "infringement of freedom"

You pay tax. They decide to use that tax money to create a department. No infringement of freedom there when they create a department.

But gee, I guess we all should move to North Korea, considering how much "freedom" has been taken away from us. :rolleyes: