Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Urban legend that happens to be true

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:31 AM

I'll send one from aus! Who wants one? Secure way to give me your address?

Posted Image

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postthe L, on 25 February 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

As I remember one girl sent postcard from Tunisia to Croatia. Atleast thats how urban legend say.
yes, but that was by donkey.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,227 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

You haven't tried this yourself, have you L? I found your exact wording on another forum. So you don't really know if it works or not.

I found this explanation, though, which might shed some light.

First time I heard about it was in Slovakia in 2000. If you send a postcard with the code S2S writen in stead of putting a
stamp your postcard could arrive to destination for free. I was said a non-written agreement existed between post men all
around the world, those letters standing for "Student to Student", and postmen (that were supposed to be more helpful
with students than they were with old widows, bank clercks or bar tenders) would helps students routing cards for free.

Later I heard about another code with similar purpose 2FABE or 2FA-BE, I even received postcards with that code on it,
coming from a different country with a bigger delay than usual.

Probably it exists the same possibilities that a stamp-less postcard arrives with a code than a postcard without a code.
Anyway I always put stamps because it is not expensive, it is more sure and more honest.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#19    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

You haven't tried this yourself, have you L? I found your exact wording on another forum. So you don't really know if it works or not.

I found this explanation, though, which might shed some light.

:blink:
I dont know what are you talking about. sorry. If you read what I have been wrote you would understand. I will not repeat it. Its small post. Dont be lazy person.(post 1)

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#20    E. L. Wisty

E. L. Wisty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Can anybody explain to me the logic of the CIA having a special code that they can write on postcards to save them using a stamp? Can't they afford stamps? I'm sure they do send letters containing secret information, but since it's secret, why would they go out of their way to make the letter conspicuous?

And how would some random dude on a forum like this know what a secret CIA postal code looked like anyway?

Tell you what, though. If a postcard doesn't have a stamp but there's some weird little code written in the box where the stamp should be, what's the average underpaid, overworked postal worker going to do? Interrupt their work and annoy the supervisor, or just think "Nah, it must OK - there's some kinda code..."

Try sending postcards with COB-937 in the stamp box. Or if it's a letter, write FREEPOST COB-937. That's not a CIA code - strangely enough, I don't know any of those. It's just some random thing I made up. Presumably the OP did the same and is trying to turn it into a mystery so he can say he started a meme.

#21    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,555 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Can anybody explain to me the logic of the CIA having a special code that they can write on postcards to save them using a stamp? Can't they afford stamps? I'm sure they do send letters containing secret information, but since it's secret, why would they go out of their way to make the letter conspicuous?

This is exactly what I was going to write. No 'super secret' information is going to be sent through the mail, first of all -- I'm sure it's all electronic these days -- and especially not with some code that will attract more attention than normal.

Embrace the impossible.

#22    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,123 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

If a CIA agent was in so much trouble that he didn't have the time or money to buy a stamp, why would he be sending out a letter via snail mail anyway?

And even if they had need to take into account such an odd scenario, how would every postman the world over know of such codes so they don't just consider the mail undeliverable for lack of a valid stamp?  When every new postman is hired in Rekjavik or Buenos Aires or Lagos, etc. are they informed of such secret codes to

Can you imagine the CIA trying to cut a deal with the Russian, Iranian, Syrian, etc postal services and every other postal service around the world to make that every postman doing the rounds on his bicycle and every minimum wage dude working in manual sorting offices is aware of such codes to ensure such a zany scheme works at all?

No, it don't make no sense at all when I think about it.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users