Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is there an alternative?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Ever since the crash of 2008 exposed the rotten core of a failed economic model, we've been told there are no viable alternatives. As Europe sinks deeper into austerity, governing parties of whatever stripe are routinely rejected by disillusioned voters – only to be replaced by others delivering more welfare cuts, privatisation and inequality.

So what should we make of a part of the world where governments have resolutely turned their back on that model, slashed poverty and inequality, taken back industries and resources from corporate control, massively expanded public services and democratic participation – and keep getting re-elected in fiercely contested elections?

That is what has been happening in Latin America for a decade.

Latin America was the first to experience the disastrous impact of neoliberal dogma and the first to revolt against it. Correa was originally elected in the wake of an economic collapse so devastating that one in 10 left the country. Since then his "citizen's revolution" has cut poverty by nearly a third and extreme poverty by 45%. Unemployment has been slashed, while social security, free health and education have been rapidly expanded – including free higher education, now a constitutional right – while outsourcing has been outlawed.

http://www.guardian....erica-has-a-few

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    EllJay

EllJay

Government Agent

• 3,676 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Have a look at John Perkins and what he says about his work in Latin America when he was in action as an ´Economic Hitman`. Pretty revealing.>>

"Opinions are like a**holes - everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#3    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostEllJay, on 20 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Have a look at John Perkins and what he says about his work in Latin America when he was in action as an ´Economic Hitman`. Pretty revealing.>>

I have seen it before. Is it any wonder that some Latin American countries are reacting against these kinds of policies that show no regard for social or environmental concerns?

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#4    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

We have to rid ourselves of the corruption before we can ever get the change. What that change would look like in America is hotly debated everytime its brought up. It shows how well the powerpigs have used conquer and divide to make us more easily controllable.

Yes there is an alternative. But we have to be willing to unite to bring it about.

#5    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,603 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

inertia is too great here.
it is like stopping run away toyota yaris (latin america) , and stopping run away 18wheeler. (usa).

latin americas had little momentum to begin with so it was easyer to change, usa wil take a lot more and a lot longer to change.

Edited by aztek, 20 February 2013 - 09:01 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,170 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

What about setting up a state owned bank, make it cheap and easy for people to transfer their home loans into that and collect the Interest on the loans to pay off the governments debts? Banks make ludicrous profits off of that sort of thing, why not do the same?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,603 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 20 February 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

What about setting up a state owned bank, make it cheap and easy for people to transfer their home loans into that and collect the Interest on the loans to pay off the governments debts? Banks make ludicrous profits off of that sort of thing, why not do the same?

i think banks here own the state.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users