Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What religion or spirituality are you? ? ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#46    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,826 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I am a christian with gnostic leanings, by this I mean I believe in personal evidence and experience along with self knowledge as the best means to comprehend even a little of the magnitude of Christ's message and of the nature of God. I accept tradition and ritual and value them but am not governed by any particular religion per se, although I was raised a catholic and know that it is best for me to comprehend my heritage rather than walk away from it - those that came before me deserve my respect for their efforts in that at least.  I attend both gnostic practices and my catholic church on occasion most comfortably.  I love the rich heritage of wisdom teaching amongst the various cultures of the earth and it warms me that we all have so much more in common than some would have us believe, we all believe in love and forgiveness, compassion and empathy it seems, at least from what I have noticed in my exposures to others beliefs.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#47    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 25 February 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

although I was raised a catholic and know that it is best for me to comprehend my heritage rather than walk away from it - those that came before me deserve my respect for their efforts in that at least.
I think this is a good and important point. Though we live in the present and our children will have the future, I think that no matter what beliefs or non beliefs we have, it is unjust and insulting to disregard or even totaly trash the beliefs of our ancestors. They lived in their times, things were different in the past, and without them, then we would not be here. My great grandparents would be shocked by some of what I write in this forum, and what I now believe, but I would never be-little their faith.

#48    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,623 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 22 February 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I identify myself as an atheist because I don't believe in the Abrahamic God, and I think any other sort of deity -- such as the Hindu or Greek pantheons or some nature deity or animist spirit is not God but, if real at all (unlikely) then just a powerful being.

Still, I also identify myself fairly weakly as being a Buddhist -- by upbringing and morals and philosophy.

Now there are also other gods one might believe in, such as the Deist watchmaker-god, or the Spinoza/Einstein god of good morals and proper behavior (not too far from Confucianism, come to thing about it) or the Emersonian global spirit/whatever, or maybe the Tao (the longer I keep this up the more deities come to mind) and I expect one believing in one of these might be considered a theist, but not quite the same as belief in an Omnipotent Creator Being of the Christians, Jews and Muslims.  That is real theism.

YOu're a regular gourmet spiritual buffet ain't ya ? ;)

I'm just a agnostic busy body, know them but not known as any :lol:

~edit : wrong quoted post

Edited by third_eye, 25 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#49    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I was raised as a Southern Baptist but found it didn't meet my needs.  I didn't like going to church as a kid.  I hated wearing itchy clothes and having to sit up, sit down, sing on command, etc.  My outer appearance is ordinary but I am very rebellious and strong-willed on the inside.

Yet I will sometimes read about Christian topics. I read some books by C.S. Lewis some years ago.  But I also read about gnostic Christianity, and the origin and beliefs of other religions.   I think of it as information gathering - finding more pieces of the puzzle.

Sometimes I consider myself a "bad" or flawed Christian who doesn't attend any church.

I see many paths that probably lead to the top of the same mountain.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#50    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,269 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 25 February 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

YOu're a regular gourmet spiritual buffet ain't ya ? ;)
It makes me happy.

#51    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,269 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 25 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

I see many paths that probably lead to the top of the same mountain.
Why pick just one mountain?

#52    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

Why pick just one mountain?

Good question.  What other mountains are there?  I do not know now.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#53    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

• The Golden age is just a step away

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 25 February 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

Whether you believe it is appropriate or not, it's what I am.  Yes, people have put a negative label on it but I'm still a witch lol.  Witches are not evil, we do not worship Satan (Satan is not a Pagan idea lol), we do not sacrifice virgins...... if people actually studied what we worship and the paths we follow people would see there is nothing negative about being a witch.
  You're absolutely right, :yes:  The only point I was trying to make is don't let words take you away from your spirituality. Whether witch, esotericists, root doctor and so on and so forth. Your spirituality is still the worship, bounty and rituals of Mother Nature (the one true God).

#54    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,269 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

The idea that there are many paths to the top of the mountain is an ancient metaphor for the idea that there are many ways to God/Enlightenment/Salvation/etc.

So why not say there are also many mountains.  I wish I could help you more but that's about all I know.

#55    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,298 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 25 February 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

Whether you believe it is appropriate or not, it's what I am.  Yes, people have put a negative label on it but I'm still a witch lol.  Witches are not evil, we do not worship Satan (Satan is not a Pagan idea lol), we do not sacrifice virgins...... if people actually studied what we worship and the paths we follow people would see there is nothing negative about being a witch.
Are you a wiccan witch. Because all wiccans are witches, but not all witches are wiccans. Witch is a generic name, like caucasian, or asian. Like Christians there are many,  many varieties of witches, and some are not Good.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#56    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 February 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

Are you a wiccan witch. Because all wiccans are witches, but not all witches are wiccans. Witch is a generic name, like caucasian, or asian. Like Christians there are many,  many varieties of witches, and some are not Good.

No I am not a Wiccan witch.  Like you say, the term witch is very generic and I guess I would consider myself a solitary traditional witch.

I don't follow any Wiccan rede (rule of no harm, three fold return etc) but I take personal responsibility very seriously.  I do believe in Karma so always consider this before any kind of spellwork (even a "positive" good luck spell for instance may have unforseen side effects).

There are nasty witches out there, just as you mentioned, I guess this is more down to the person rather than the religion as you get it with every religion.

#57    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,715 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostSpore, on 22 February 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I can truly agree on that. In reality Nature is our God

yup, that is my belief.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#58    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

I'm not much a religious person, therefore can be classified an agnostic. I came from a family whom profess to be Christians, but used to attend different churches and I wasn't baptized as a result. I would view myself a Christian if I accept the notion of Jesus Christ is the son of God and to feel Jesus served an importance to humanity, should I be considered an agnostic Christian (LOL).

Me and my wife occassionally visited a few churches like the one Lutheran church down the street from our apartment when we lived there...we decided not to join. We don't attend any church because we don't have a strong feeling of need for them. Christianity takes much devotion in belief, but I personally don't need an organized religion to instruct how to live and behave other than I have morals and ethics having to do with common sense rules on acting towards others and being a contributing member to society.

Edited by Mike D boy, 26 February 2013 - 04:27 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#59    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,826 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostAtentutankh-pasheri, on 25 February 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

I think this is a good and important point. Though we live in the present and our children will have the future, I think that no matter what beliefs or non beliefs we have, it is unjust and insulting to disregard or even totaly trash the beliefs of our ancestors. They lived in their times, things were different in the past, and without them, then we would not be here. My great grandparents would be shocked by some of what I write in this forum, and what I now believe, but I would never be-little their faith.
Thank you Atentutankh, it is just as you say and say very well - our ancestors suffered in ways we cannot comprehend from the world we live in today.  Because of those sufferings we are where we are and the world has developed to a state where much of it's population can expect to live a full life in peace (much but not all unfortunately).  This has created the rich history of literature and events that we are free to study and learn from, my ancestors are the best reason there can be to carry forward, they are the means of my opportunity and I honour that.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#60    cheo_vl

cheo_vl

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

• "the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

i decided to abandon the religion i was raised with(catholic) because i realized that i only believed in it because that's what i was taught, and that can be said about most people. so i set out on a quest to find my own "truth". in the end i came up with my own conclusion, it doesn't matter. it doesn't matter what's "out there" or if there's anyone there at all. there's a phrase i found often attributed to emeror Marcus Aurelius, and i'm paraphrasing, he said if the gods really ar are magnificent and perfect and wise as we think they are, then they will judge you by how you lived your life, if you were honorable and dignified, not by how faithful you were or not by how much you prayed. if the gods really do judge you by how much you pray and how faithful you are instead of by how you live your life, then they do not deserve to eb worshipped anyway. if there are no gods, then at least you can have the satisfaction of knowing you lived an honorable life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users