Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What religion or spirituality are you? ? ?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61    Spore

Spore

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 187 posts

• The Golden age is just a step away

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

There is a very thick line between religion and spirituality . Most mainstream western faiths lack reason, reality, @nd in most cases culture. That is one of the reasons why i admire  more eastern faiths . They tend to teach you how to invest in your spiritual self rather then challenging it

#62    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,167 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

I think most of us can use counsel from time to time, both for instruction and for help in time of need, such as problems or grief.  Being a member of an organized religion provides us with fairly easy access to such counsel.

Nevertheless, when it really gets "down to it," we are each on our own, and it cannot be otherwise, and we need to learn to sustain ourselves and make our own choices.

#63    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,316 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

I consider myself to be a Christian, although, having said that, as a friend of mine has said: "don't tell me you're a Christian, show me", and I guess he has a point. One of the (many) reasons I am is because (as has been pointed out) most religions are man reaching up to God, but in Christianity, God reaches down to man (and woman too of course).

Posted Image

#64    roxanna

roxanna

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I was raised in a fiercely devout Lutheran family. Many of my family members are highly active in the church and its school. I never gave it a second thought; never had any doubts about the validity of it all... until I hit my late twenties. I started to be angry with "God" and began to question the activities of our church and its people. Scientifically, I had/have questions.

I started doing a lot of reading about religion and gods and whatnot, and now I'm just not sure what I believe. I have come to the conclusion that no one religion is the "true" religion. There is something out there, in my opinion.

Abraham Lincoln is reported to have said "When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion."

#65    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,167 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Well, at least in the States, I never imagined there could be such a thing as a "fierce" Lutheran.

#66    roxanna

roxanna

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 01 March 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Well, at least in the States, I never imagined there could be such a thing as a "fierce" Lutheran.

You should come to the South. :)

#67    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,404 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Postroxanna, on 01 March 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

I was raised in a fiercely devout Lutheran family. Many of my family members are highly active in the church and its school. I never gave it a second thought; never had any doubts about the validity of it all... until I hit my late twenties. I started to be angry with "God" and began to question the activities of our church and its people. Scientifically, I had/have questions.

I started doing a lot of reading about religion and gods and whatnot, and now I'm just not sure what I believe. I have come to the conclusion that no one religion is the "true" religion. There is something out there, in my opinion.

Abraham Lincoln is reported to have said "When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion."

Abraham Lincoln left so many lasting impressions on the world - I hadn't heard this particular quote from him before, I like it.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#68    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,709 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I was raised a christian Methodist/Catholic   but i guess i would call my self an Animist.    .. All is ONE  sort of thing.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users