Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Human race is losing inteligence.

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#151    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Studies here of different educational systems have shown that the US system is good at educating what one might call the elite -- the smart kids with involved parents -- and kinda abandons the rest -- just warehouses them to keep them off the streets and out of their parents' hair.

This is a natural consequence of several things, the first being the difficulty nowadays of there being any sort of good discipline.  Try it and the teacher hears from the parents' lawyers.  So, what does a teacher do -- he or she just lets the problem kids slide and educates the ones that actually want to learn and have parental support for what the teacher is doing.  The best that can be done with the others is keep them under control.

So you turn out a pretty good elite, but that is all.

Perfect answer!!!The tiny amount compared to the vast majority!Yes some of the elite may be getting smarter but out of 350 mil in the US the vast majority are not,they in fact are going backwards.As your first point stated to many freedoms have become a burden,discipline cannot be established therefore the majority can do as they please.Learn or not.No consequences when you know the gov will make the responsible take care of you if they want to or not.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#152    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 26 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

It is a increasing view that either we are becoming less intelligent,causing global warming,wiping out species or are becoming less caring as a species.Perhaps you are correct asadora maybe as a species we have become emotionally dead,we have become numb to everything and everyone.This might be our problem,but how do we correct it?Drink a lot more coffee and get back to me! :lol: jk you do make a good point though :tu:

Mr. CrimsonKing, yes I do try to make my words count! Though, I give a warning, sometimes the thoughts and the words don't flow a the same time!;)

Often the solution is either as absurd as the problem or too difficult to be applied to a that specific problem. (I do not mean that as in a general sense. I clearly mean it in the context of applying to mental ego and emotional ego).

Everyone has emotions. Everyone has feelings. Everyone has thoughts before actually speaking them or speaking that of which is not the original thought as in sharing a 'cloned' or 'censored' thought that may be better perceived or easily accepted which loses the original thought intention, because the speaker is not emotionally confident enough to bare the onslaught of potential drama. Don't worry! I'm gonna give an example:

'You know, sometimes I question if you are really as smart as you often say you are.'
'Oh. I haven't said that I was smart directly. You just perceived that by comparing what I know to what you don't know.'
'Are you saying I'm stupid?'
'No.'
'Then what do you mean?'
'Nothing.' (Actually, a censored thought of this could be: 'Yes, I am kinda suggesting that you are stupid, because you originally made me feel that I was stupid.'

If someone were to tell me or indicate to me that I was 'stupid' or whatever negative comment they could possibly come up with; I would feel less inclined to share any further knowledge with them and not encouraged enough to want to display any emotional intelligence, which would be in this case to have better understood the speaker's lack of self doubt, as the speaker did put to question my own 'intelligence.'
It is amazing how we will go out of our way, just not to be considered 'weak' or stupid. I will admit honestly that if someone tells me, 'U sayz stupidz stuffz.' I'd be highly offended because, of the audacity of the speaker as it clearly shows their own stupidity. I do try to be compassionate and to reason to myself that this person clearly does not lack self confidence, for this would be a positive trait that perhaps one could give a easier second chance to take that next step in getting to know more of the person. If I were to succeed at that thought of compassion, then perhaps my response wouldn't be so animus.

Perhaps, after sharing all of that, a more simpler way to put it would be: We should have more compassion in our thoughts to act as a buffer between mental and emotional ego. (Still used in the same context of which I previously stated.)
Maybe.. I have had too much coffee!
Kind Regards

Great Thread, OP! :tu:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#153    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

We know that some people are smart and that other people, well, aren't.  Generally we keep our mouths shut about such opinions, at least on the negative side.  (I remember a comment I saw on a college interview report -- of me -- that I wasn't supposed to see.  It said, "He is smart enough to handle the work but lazy.")

There are all kinds of smarts.  I'm good at intellectual type things, like philosophy and languages, but I stink at dealing with people on a one-to-one basis, and could never sell anything that didn't sell itself.  Then there are people who are really good with machines, and others who are good cooks, and others who just have to say, "please" to a posy and it blooms for a month.

We all do what we can do, and are lucky if we fall into whatever we do best.

#154    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostAsadora, on 26 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Mr. CrimsonKing, yes I do try to make my words count! Though, I give a warning, sometimes the thoughts and the words don't flow a the same time! ;)

Often the solution is either as absurd as the problem or too difficult to be applied to a that specific problem. (I do not mean that as in a general sense. I clearly mean it in the context of applying to mental ego and emotional ego).

Everyone has emotions. Everyone has feelings. Everyone has thoughts before actually speaking them or speaking that of which is not the original thought as in sharing a 'cloned' or 'censored' thought that may be better perceived or easily accepted which loses the original thought intention, because the speaker is not emotionally confident enough to bare the onslaught of potential drama. Don't worry! I'm gonna give an example:

'You know, sometimes I question if you are really as smart as you often say you are.'
'Oh. I haven't said that I was smart directly. You just perceived that by comparing what I know to what you don't know.'
'No.'
'Then what do you mean?'
'Nothing.' (Actually, a censored thought of this could be: 'Yes, I am kinda suggesting that you are stupid, because you originally made me feel that I was stupid.'

If someone were to tell me or indicate to me that I was 'stupid' or whatever negative comment they could possibly come up with; I would feel less inclined to share any further knowledge with them and not encouraged enough to want to display any emotional intelligence, which would be in this case to have better understood the speaker's lack of self doubt, as the speaker did put to question my own 'intelligence.'
It is amazing how we will go out of our way, just not to be considered 'weak' or stupid. I will admit honestly that if someone tells me, 'U sayz stupidz stuffz.' I'd be highly offended because, of the audacity of the speaker as it clearly shows their own stupidity. I do try to be compassionate and to reason to myself that this person clearly does not lack self confidence, for this would be a positive trait that perhaps one could give a easier second chance to take that next step in getting to know more of the person. If I were to succeed at that thought of compassion, then perhaps my response wouldn't be so animus.

Perhaps, after sharing all of that, a more simpler way to put it would be: We should have more compassion in our thoughts to act as a buffer between mental and emotional ego. (Still used in the same context of which I previously stated.)
Kind Regards

Well said!Though when on the net or in real life i try my best to let ego go.I am best at just being me,i am not good at being someone else or their expectations.Negative comments do not get to me because we are all behind screens,there is nothing i can do to change anyones mind if i wanted to or not.I assure you i can be a super self confident ass lol.I try my best to see others views with as much reason as possible though.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#155    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 February 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

We know that some people are smart and that other people, well, aren't.  Generally we keep our mouths shut about such opinions, at least on the negative side.  (I remember a comment I saw on a college interview report -- of me -- that I wasn't supposed to see.  It said, "He is smart enough to handle the work but lazy.")

There are all kinds of smarts.  I'm good at intellectual type things, like philosophy and languages, but I stink at dealing with people on a one-to-one basis, and could never sell anything that didn't sell itself.  Then there are people who are really good with machines, and others who are good cooks, and others who just have to say, "please" to a posy and it blooms for a month.

We all do what we can do, and are lucky if we fall into whatever we do best.

I can believe that frank some times i think i am dealing with a very smart school teacher when it comes to you haha.You can be a real pain in the ass when trying to argue a point :lol: I try to be a person of reason,but in reality am more a person of action.Nothing i can do about it

Edited by CrimsonKing, 26 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#156    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 February 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Studies here of different educational systems have shown that the US system is good at educating what one might call the elite -- the smart kids with involved parents -- and kinda abandons the rest -- just warehouses them to keep them off the streets and out of their parents' hair.

I don't think this is anything new. I have a blog (I won't link to it because it's my secret identity) in which I go through my thirty year old memories of every grade of school I had to endure and every damn wrong thing I was taught in them which I later had to unlearn. Most teachers knew little more about their subjects than what was in their books and occasionally "corrected" the books when something conflicted with their beliefs.

At least they taught me to be skeptical and critical of anyone claiming to have answers!

#157    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 4,314 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

I don't think this is anything new. I have a blog (I won't link to it because it's my secret identity) in which I go through my thirty year old memories of every grade of school I had to endure and every damn wrong thing I was taught in them which I later had to unlearn. Most teachers knew little more about their subjects than what was in their books and occasionally "corrected" the books when something conflicted with their beliefs.

At least they taught me to be skeptical and critical of anyone claiming to have answers!

You must have quite the blog then,almost everything taught in history from 1st grade through college fits more into the realm of fantasy than real historic events.American history being the biggest bunch of **** out of it all.

#158    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

View Postscowl, on 26 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

I have and have had teachers like that as well. In one class, I had a teacher tell the class that something in one of our chapters was wrong and that we should studied the right part that they knew to be true instead of what the book said. I've also had a teacher say that we should question everything including what we read in textbooks because they could be wrong.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#159    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostAsadora, on 26 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Mr. CrimsonKing, yes I do try to make my words count! Though, I give a warning, sometimes the thoughts and the words don't flow a the same time! ;)

'No.'
'Then what do you mean?'

Kind Regards

OooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooOOOooooooo..... Intreeging...... My Ego wants to question you more about this in a certain Ego Thread because this type senario has played it's self out naught but a few hours ago in another thread. :lol: & you've had far to much coffee.

If I expressed an opinion that is contary to your opinion, your ego in an air of superiority would want to attack that logic in an attempt to (as Ego does) control how it is percieved, affirm it's existence, and as you say, not be considered 'weak' or stupid.. Not sure what you mean by Emotional Ego though, for I tend to think that Ego creates these emotions, and any expression of intelect, or lack thereof, engages the Ego which creates an Emotional responce accordingly by feeling Hurt, angered, offended, or whatever that specific ego level perceieves the appropriate emotional response.
I tend to think that "Emotional Ego" isn't so much a specific type of ego, but is a result of plain old Ego..

The result of such an Ego v's Ego debate where ones personal perceptions of itellect are at stake will end tradgicly with an argument where facts, logic, truthes, history and all the foundations of civilsation are destroyed just so that Ego can say "I'm smarter than you." :lol:

The above might rightfully seem a bit outlandish.. But as a collective in humanity, this plays out every day in the form of Propaganda where facts, logic, truthes, history and all the foundations of civilsation are destroyed just so that "collective Ego" can infect humanity by claiming "Corporations are People." :lol: "Women can't Drive!" :lol:

#160    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 26 February 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

OooooooooooooOOOOOOOOoooOOOooooooo..... Intreeging...... My Ego wants to question you more about this in a certain Ego Thread because this type senario has played it's self out naught but a few hours ago in another thread. :lol: & you've had far to much coffee.

If I expressed an opinion that is contary to your opinion, your ego in an air of superiority would want to attack that logic in an attempt to (as Ego does) control how it is percieved, affirm it's existence, and as you say, not be considered 'weak' or stupid.. Not sure what you mean by Emotional Ego though, for I tend to think that Ego creates these emotions, and any expression of intelect, or lack thereof, engages the Ego which creates an Emotional responce accordingly by feeling Hurt, angered, offended, or whatever that specific ego level perceieves the appropriate emotional response.
I tend to think that "Emotional Ego" isn't so much a specific type of ego, but is a result of plain old Ego..

The result of such an Ego v's Ego debate where ones personal perceptions of itellect are at stake will end tradgicly with an argument where facts, logic, truthes, history and all the foundations of civilsation are destroyed just so that Ego can say "I'm smarter than you." :lol:

The above might rightfully seem a bit outlandish.. But as a collective in humanity, this plays out every day in the form of Propaganda where facts, logic, truthes, history and all the foundations of civilsation are destroyed just so that "collective Ego" can infect humanity by claiming "Corporations are People." :lol: "Women can't Drive!" :lol:

Mm, sure, I will agree that the above might rightfully seem a bit outlandish.

But I also believe you have demonstrated perfectly in regards to my previous post.  Thank you :tu:

Sometimes the delivery is actually more telling than the actual message.

Kind Regards.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#161    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

The Human Race Might Not Be, But My Brother in Law Sure Is.

#162    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

To paraphrase an old saying, maybe, "You can pick your wife but not her relatives."

#163    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 26 February 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

You must have quite the blog then,almost everything taught in history from 1st grade through college fits more into the realm of fantasy than real historic events.American history being the biggest bunch of **** out of it all.

There's a good book about that, called :

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

Bought it for my niece who lives in the US with her dad, just so she learns at least some critical thinking.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#164    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

So, if the intelligent only procreate with the intelligent, and the dumb only procreate with the dumb... maybe we'll still be okay?

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#165    Toadie

Toadie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Guess that is what happens when people do not have to think for themselves... We have spell check, personal trainers, counsellors, gps pretty much anything you can't do you can pay someone to do it for you or have technology to work it out... Hardly any children go outside get muddy, cut themselves, ran around, play board games.. All entertain is generated from a power plug i.e t.v, ps3, ipad, etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users