Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Authorities kill Switzerland’s only wild bear

Ashotep

Switzerland’s only recorded wild bear has been culled after fears that it could pose a threat to humans, the authorities announced on Wednesday.

The male bear, known as “M13″, was shot dead by wildlife rangers on Tuesday, said Adrian Aeschlimann, spokesman for the Federal Office for the Environment.

“The cull was carried out according to the management plan for bears in Switzerland,” he told AFP.

Authorities shoot Switzerland’s only wild bear after fearing threats to humans

The bear hadn't attacked anyone but it was following people and this is why they killed it.

That's awefull.

It's brothers were killed a year before in car accidents and they killed it because it started following people around..

Sounds like the poor thing was just lonely..

• Like 1

Sad but the bear would have died off anyways. They could have trapped it. This is how we do it:

This is BS they could have just put the poor animal in a zoo,of course it was the authorities so they knew what was best.This story makes me sick,i really do not know what else to say.

• Like 1

It was the last Swiss beer.

It was the last Swiss beer.

And the ones who knew best gunned him down,this story just sucks.I'm done with this one.

Good. It was best to take action before somebody was seriously maimed or killed.

• Like 1

.... all he needed was a female and the story would have a happy ending.

Back in the 1990s an alleged bear was frequently reported around Wytham in Oxfordshire, UK. At the time the local media ran with the story that according to EU law, if a single bear had been found the authorities were required to find it a mate. No idea if that requirement was true, but with the EU nothing would surprise me.

I hope Switzerland gets nuked.

That's the typical over-the-top reaction from your average animal rights nutter.

"They shot a bear! Let's nuke them!"

Good. It was best to take action before somebody was seriously maimed or killed.

That's the typical over-the-top reaction from your average animal hater.

Back in the 1990s an alleged bear was frequently reported around Wytham in Oxfordshire, UK. At the time the local media ran with the story that according to EU law, if a single bear had been found the authorities were required to find it a mate. No idea if that requirement was true, but with the EU nothing would surprise me.

The Swiss are lucky, though, that they aren't in the EU.

That's the typical over-the-top reaction from your average animal hater.

No, it isn't. It's your typical sensible reaction from someone who believes all necessary steps to ensure people are safe from bears and other dangerous animals are taken. If that means shooting the bear, tough. I won't be losing sleep over it and nor should anybody else.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

The Swiss are lucky, though, that they aren't in the EU.

No, it isn't. It's your typical sensible reaction from someone who believes all necessary steps to ensure people are safe from bears and other dangerous animals are taken. If that means shooting the bear, tough. I won't be losing sleep over it and nor should anybody else.

You're trying to say this was the best cause of action?

Sad it is last bear. In Washington State we have big bear problems. We do not kill our bears we relocate them.

Edited by venom012

You're trying to say this was the best cause of action?

Sure if they had the resources there could have been a better outcome such as relocation to a park or zoo. Killing it would have likely been the most logical option they had.

Sure if they had the resources there could have been a better outcome such as relocation to a park or zoo. Killing it would have likely been the most logical option they had.

Oh, I'd assume the last bear of their country could have generated some revenue from tourists or park/zoo goers. Switzerland has the resources for something like this right off the bat.