Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

What music do you listen to?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,543 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

I have always thought that you can tell a lot about a persons inner self  based on what kind of music they listen to.

What do you listen to? If there is a why then explain that to?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#2    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 21 February 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

I have always thought that you can tell a lot about a persons inner self  based on what kind of music they listen to.

Cool topic my answer is fairly easy to explain,i listen to some of everything but my favorites date back to the 60's,70's,and some 80's.Why?Because musicians still had talent!I can throw in classical,and some from 30's,40's,and even 50's and give reasons why but lets see how this topic unfolds first lol

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#3    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,394 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Predominantly 1970's music, and some random dated stuff.. Oh, and love Pink Floyd..

Why??? Dunno? I guess the 1970's was more alive for me. It was a groovy era.. and I'm still stuck there..

Edited: Come to think of it, it's because the lyrics were more up-beat.. feel good.. meaningfull.

Edited by Professor T, 21 February 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#4    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 21 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Predominantly 1970's music, and some random dated stuff.. Oh, and love Pink Floyd..

Why??? Dunno? I guess the 1970's was more alive for me. It was a groovy era.. and I'm still stuck there..

Echoes the best of Pink Floyd is number 3 on my playlist T!You been hacking my computer? :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#5    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• WRATH

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Anything. I like my music to be somewhat mellow and a bit sad at times, like Snow Patrol for instance.

Oasis would be my favorite band.

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

#6    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,394 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 21 February 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Echoes the best of Pink Floyd is number 3 on my playlist T!You been hacking my computer? :lol:

I've every Album. (on cd) :D
ya give em a short, sharp, shock, ya dig it!

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,543 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostSean93, on 21 February 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Anything. I like my music to be somewhat mellow and a bit sad at times, like Snow Patrol for instance.

Oasis would be my favorite band.
That's so weird Sean...., you have this energetic bite your ass off side, then this melancholy **** the world side..... Hmmmm I'm expecting a lot out of you... Sorry.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#8    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,466 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

When young, I loved to dance, probably because I was very small, I was not that good at sports.  Had to think too much so was lousy at it.  Dancing took no thought, so I tend to like music that I can ride, or allow it to get into my blood and carry me.  It is like flying I guess.

I have always like bass, so heavy metal is still something that I like to listen to from time to time.  It seems to relax my brain and allows some of my angry emotions to have expession.  I like club music because it is made for dancing.  So today at 64 I don't go out dancing, but when I listen to the music my soul does zoom up and away and circles back again LOL.

I like country western from time to time, it deals with life and the human struggle.  I like Christian music, world music, sitar in a special way.  However, I am a reader, so I don't buy much music, and only listen when in certain mood.

I like some high brow music but I am a low brow by nature LOL.

peace
mark

#9    designer

designer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 234 posts

• I believe.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Are you going to tell us what our choices mean? :w00t:
I think it's a hard question. I could not put it into one catagory. My playlist looks like it is a combination of several very different people. Depends largely on my mood or activity. I have old country like Patsy Cline, Russian rock- Slot, contemperary christain like Flyleaf, other stuff like Seether, Evanescence, Adele, Celtic, bagpipes, Roberta Flack, Pink Floyd.
I'm open to lots of stuff, except rap and almost all the current crap. :su

Carol in NC

Posted Image
EMMA
Give a shelter dog a chance. They'll give you their heart.

#10    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,029 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

I love Gorecki's Sorrowful Songs, Mozart's Clarinet Concerto (went to a symphony performance and half the audience wept), Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert, Kitaro's Silk Road, Prince's 1999, Thievery Corporation, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense, Adele, Iris Dement, John Prine, Steely Dan, Mark O'Connor's Appalachian Waltz, the old 60's group Love (Arthur Lee was genius), Enigma, Tori Amos. I stream KPLU at work, middle of the road jazz. This is my short list!

Edited by Beany, 21 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#11    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Ramsteinn, Metallica, Apocalyptica, classical music, guitar, piano, percussion, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Dead Can Dance, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Johnny Hollow, Nat King Cole, Fleetwood Mac (the old band from the 60/70's), Jethro Tull, Tom Waits, Alan Parson's Project, Disturbed, Nirvana, Neon Egypt, James Brown, Skunk Anansie, Talking Heads, Tvangeste, Buena Vista Social Club, Kimmo Pohjonen, Chopin (nocturnes), Claire Brown & The Banging Rackettes, and...and...and...

Why?

I love music.

And this one I listen to often, lol, and when I do, I jump around my room:

Oh, and Celtic-ish music, like "Paddy's Leather Breeches" by Angus Mohr:
http://www.reverbnat...details/1359761

And also this:

Edited by Abramelin, 21 February 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I have a play-list that contains several thousand items (many compositions with several different performers) that plays at random pretty much everything from 1300 to some modern serious composers.  This includes all the schmaltz of the late nineteenth century, so it is not entirely highbrow.

My first introduction to classical music (growing up in a Vietnamese farming village) was Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet, and I couldn't believe something so wonderful actually existed.  Now of course it strikes me as an old war-horse.

#13    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,408 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#14    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Maybe an extension to what Seeker posted:

-1- Why do people love music a lot, and why do others not care much for it at all (yes, they do exist, lol)?
-2- Why do some people prefer to listen to only one kind music (jazz OR blues, OR classic OR folk OR rock OR love songs, and so on), and why do others love many kinds of music?
-3- Does the kind of music you listen to depend on the mood you are in, and/or is music able to change your mood?
-4- What other effects does music have on you? Does it help you to concentrate, to forget, to remember, to want do physical exercises, what?

I think music is a very interesting phenomenon because it is able to touch something deep down in us. It is able to resonate with (some deeper layer of) your psyche,

Only oders are able to touch an even deeper level.

+++

EDIT:

I'd like to add another point:

-5- Is the kind of music someone prefers related to someone's IQ?

I know this is non politically correct question, but let's be fair: people who prefer classical music above all other types of music are often considered to be intelligent.

I know from experience that that is not always true, btw. And I have had my thoughts about people prefering country-and western style music, but I have met very creative and smart people who loved it.

Edited by Abramelin, 21 February 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#15    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,858 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 21 February 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Maybe an extension to what Seeker posted:

-1- Why do people love music a lot, and why do others not care much for it at all (yes, they do exist, lol)?
-2- Why do some people prefer to listen to only one kind music (jazz OR blues, OR classic OR folk OR rock OR love songs, and so on), and why do others love many kinds of music?
-3- Does the kind of music you listen to depend on the mood you are in, and/or is music able to change your mood?
-4- What other effects does music have on you? Does it help you to concentrate, to forget, to remember, to want do physical exercises, what?

I think music is a very interesting phenomenon because it is able to touch something deep down in us. It is able to resonate with (some deeper layer of) your psyche,

Only oders are able to touch an even deeper level.

+++

EDIT:

I'd like to add another point:

-5- Is the kind of music someone prefers related to someone's IQ?

I know this is non politically correct question, but let's be fair: people who prefer classical music above all other types of music are often considered to be intelligent.

I know from experience that that is not always true, btw. And I have had my thoughts about people prefering country-and western style music, but I have met very creative and smart people who loved it.

YOu're just being cheeky again ain't you ?

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users