Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

New scorpion species discovered in US desert

scorpion santa catalina mountains vaejovis brysoni rob bryson junior

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,467 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

A new species of scorpion, Vaejovis brysoni, has been discovered in the Santa Catalina Mountains of southern Arizona in the US.

Rob Bryson Junior, biologist from the University of Washington, unearthed this new species accidentally while looking for a completely different animal.

http://www.phenomeni...-us-desert.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,676 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Is it a new species as such or a mutated one?
And whats with the name? I see Rob has named part of it after him....its still a scorpion.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

The thing about finding new species is, You really need to go looking for them to find them and by that I mean, you have to be an expert on the species you find.

Unless you know your scorpions, that looks like a regular one to anyone else but the expert, how many times have we all seen an animal, spider, bird, fish etc and not known what is is, we all assume it has been documented and catalogued. I have been in may jungles and seen plenty of monkeys or creatures that I didn’t recognise, how do I know I missed out on finding a new species.

Posted Image

#4    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

pretty cool that there are still undiscovered animals out there...to be honest, i read the headline and hoped it would be something more like this:
Posted Image

#5    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,418 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Imagine if all the insects of the world were the size of a dachshund or something. We would have a serious problem on our hand then.

I bet there is a planet out there in the universe where nightmares comes through. :w00t: :gun: >>

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

New species are not "new" to the world, but only new to science.  They have been around uncatalogued, generally for a lot longer than we've been here.  All species of course evolve from other species mostly via mutations steered by natural selection, so in a sense any different species is a mutation.

#7    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 February 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

New species are not "new" to the world, but only new to science.  
sure thing, nobody just brings them in a box all of a sudden. when i wrote "new" i meant "previously undiscovered" ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users